Grado e Series
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #3,916 of 6,729
  Symphones Magnums is a line of modded Grados from Martin Custom audio that sells for about $500 - 600 new, if I'm not wrong. I've not heard them myself. Magnums are based on 325/MS2 with entirely new cups and modded drivers. 

As of Grado materials I think it goes like this:
- SR60 - SR225 + MS1: entirely plastic
- SR325 + MS2: aluminum (with a lot of plastic inside, though?)
- RS2, RS1, MS Pro, GS1k: mahogany
- PS500 + PS1k: mahogany inside, aluminum outside

don't forget the two "hf" series headphones, the hf1 and hf2. both are hybrids, the hf1 has mahogany cups with plastic grills and the hf2 is more like the ps500/ps1000 with mahogany cups and aluminum outside/grills. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3,917 of 6,729
I found the comment about the mahogany smell. It was in a review on Amazon. It says,
   "The mahogany wood emits a semi-strong smell that can be playfully light from about 3 feet away. This is how they tease me. If they are nearby, the smell calls me to them. It also leaves its smell on my ears after a listening session. This is how they mark their territory. If the smell is on my ears, I am reminded of their sound afterwards."

About two-thirds way down this four star review. http://www.amazon.com/Grado-GS1000e-Statement-Headphone-Frequency/product-reviews/B00L1OF8XI/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_4?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFourStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Never mind though. All is well. In that I feel assured by Head-Fi folks. Maybe this guy just got an unfortunate pair.

When I think more, I realise it's the only mention of it I ever saw too.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #3,921 of 6,729
As I have said before, the smell is there for the wooden RS1i and also for the 325is/e that I own(ed), but they're not quite noticeable, and as long as you don't keep them in the box that they come in (say, put them on a stand in an open room instead), the smell will disappear over time very soon. Otherwise, as I used to put my Grados inside a travel case, the 325is that I'm having still emit some scent/odour, even though they're nearly 2yo.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #3,923 of 6,729
  How does the RS2e compare with the RS1i?

To be more precise, is it worth buying the RS2e if I already own the RS1i?

Thanks

No, I would not think so.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,924 of 6,729
If you've already owned the RS1i, perhaps the only other cans worth auditioning is the PS500 (original or e). Depending on your liking, the GS1k and PS1k is also worth looking into.

I'm starting to see no point in keeping my SR325is, considering that I'm liking my RS1i a whole lot more than before. When I switched to EZ pads, the RS1i suddenly sound fuller and more intimate than the 325. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #3,928 of 6,729
The PS500 sound 'okay' with the G Cush. Comfort obviously increases and soundstage too, but they do lose some presence and a bit of bass. However, a lot of people feel they have too much bass in the first place (I don't) so they may work for them.

Has anyone tried to mod the G Cush to keep the benefits of being circumaural but putting them a bit closer to the ear? Shaving a bit off the edge of the cups perhaps?!

Orb.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,929 of 6,729
   However, a lot of people feel they have too much bass in the first place. 

Has anyone tried to mod the G Cush to keep the benefits of being circumaural but putting them a bit closer to the ear? Shaving a bit off the edge of the cups perhaps?!

Most everyone likes them with (G) cushions. 
smile.gif

Try placing a heavy book on the (G) cushions for however long it takes, with the concave part of the cushion facing down…this should flatten them, and bring the driver closer to your ear instead of shaving your $45.00 cushions.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,930 of 6,729
  The PS500 sound 'okay' with the G Cush. Comfort obviously increases and soundstage too, but they do lose some presence and a bit of bass. 

This is interesting, I don't find this at all. I have gone back and forth between the L and G cush a few times, and feel the bass is actually a touch fuller with the Gs on my 500e, and the sound is more open. And as you mentioned, there are the sound stage benefits.

I will say that with my amp, the bass isn't overly strong at all, I don't think anyone would find it offensive. However, I know some amps do have a thundering low end, and can understand how that may not mix well. I'll admit to my curiosity to hear more gear, but don't really have that opportunity right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back