Got my Sony MDR-V7
Aug 6, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Notorious P.I.G.
What do you mean? They're the same size?

V6=7506 (40mm PET drivers)
V7=900ST (50mm Evaporated Saphire drivers)
V900=7509 (50mm Evaporated Diamond drivers)
D77 Eggos (40mm Evaporated Diamond drivers)

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
V6=7506 (40mm PET drivers)
V7=900ST (50mm Evaporated Saphire drivers)
V900=7509 (50mm Evaporated Diamond drivers)
D77 Eggos (40mm Evaporated Diamond drivers)

That's incorrect.

V7=900ST is the following:

Type: Circum-aural, closed
Driver units: 40 mm, dynamic type, 63 ohms
Sensitivity: 106 dB/mW
Power handling capacity: 1W
Frequency response: 5-30kHz
Cord: 3 m long oxygen-free copper
Weight: 230 g (without cord)

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 55
I own and still use a pair of MDR-V7's.  I'm listening to classic Rush as I write this.  I bought them back when I was in high school for $99.00 on sale at a place called ABC Warehouse back in 1989.  A friend of mine who worked there recommended them very highly but I almost changed my mind because that was alot of money back then.  They have held up very nicely over the years and the only thing to fail was the foam that surrounds the ears.  Luckily, they still sell replacements online.  I remember when my dad bought some higher end headphones from a hi-fi shop thinking that they would be better than the Sony's.  I think they were AKG and he spent more than twice what I paid for mine.  I wasn't impressed and I don't think he was either, but he kept them anyway.  They sounded muddy compared to mine.  I am not an expert and have not listened to alot of other high end headphones, but I have heard more than a few.  I always love the sound of the V7's and they are one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #38 of 55
Took my V7 out of the drawer after a year or so when I've accumulated several other headphones. Didn't sound bad at all listening to "The Music of Henry Mancini", especially "It had to Be Tonight (Meglio sta sera)" from The Pink Panther. Great.

The sibilance and bloated bass I remembered didn't disturb me much.

This is why I never get rid of a pair of headphones in a rush. Sapphire diaphragms indeed...

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #39 of 55
The CD900ST doesn't sound like the V7. I had both some time ago...

The DT250 Pads on the CD900ST won't sound good, I tried that, too :wink:

Edit: Also, Sony applied some damping material behind the drivers of the CD900ST while the V7 shouldn't have any dampening at all. The drivers of both headphones don't look the same. Too bad, I didn't take any photos...

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #40 of 55
The original MDR-CD900 intruduced in 1985 was, in a way, the mother of them all. It was the top model of a professional line including CD700, CD500, CD300 and CD100.

The original MDR-CD900 had a 40 mm amorphous diamond diaphragm. It's sister Hi-fi market model was the MDR-V7, which had a 40 mm amorphous sapphire diaphragm.

The MDR-CD700 had a 40 mm PET diaphragm and it soon emerged as the very popular and still in production MDR-V6 and later MDR-7506 models.

The MDR-CD900ST also has a 40 mm PET diaphragm - Sony stopped producing the diamond and sapphire drivers a long time ago (bio-cellulose became their material of choice, lately liquid crystal polymer) - so the CD900ST is more similar to the V6 and 7506 though it might be voiced differently.

All of these drivers are 63 ohms.

It's correct that the V7 doesn't have any damping material in the cup. Might try som wool, or rather alter the bass damping. But then it wouldn't be a V7, would it?

V7 sapphire diaphragm:

CD900ST PET diaphragm:

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #43 of 55
Hi there!

Yes, yes, I know, old thread, but still...

Where does the notion that this is true come from: V7=900ST (50mm Evaporated Saphire drivers)?  Does someone have it in print?  On a box?  In a manual?

From here: we can see that the V7 have amorphous titanium diaphragms, with CCAW voice coils.  The CD700 have amorphous gold diaphragms, with CCAW voice coils.

Orignal issue CD900 have amorphous diamond (with CCAW voice coils) but the second issue (matte) do not, they have mylar/PET.

Again, this is according to the link (not mine), where it would seem a rather extensive history is given for many of these cans.

Personally, I don't care either way, but I just wonder where does the "sapphire" bit come from?

cheers!!

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #44 of 55
Good post to raise. I had a couple of MDR-V7 at once, and also physically measured the drivers myself @ 40mm.
 It seems to be one of those myths that went for ages without anyone actually confirming it. I thought someone pulled a fast one on me at first.
 Anyhow contrary to unfounded popular belief there is no documentation at all by Sony anywhere that says it is 50mm or Sapphire.

My original clear plastic box for these did also state Titanium "evaporated/ plasma deposition" or whatever it said exactly, and 40mm.
Same as what is shown in your link there.

Sony did make a Sapphire evaporated  40mm but as far as I know that was found in the Sony MDR-CD777 model only.

Others in that lineup are the 555, 666 ( apparently a South African release of the 555 ), 888 ( another odd variant of what I see to be the 777 sine the box pics looked identical to the housing and also stated Sapphire IIRC, but for some reason goes for stupid $$$$ ) and the top 50mm 999 Diamond evaporated model.
Apparently partway through the 999 lineup they switched the 999 magnets from Samarium Cobalt to NeoD. Not sure if that also applies to any of the concurrently released 555/777 models also, there's not likely to be much in the way of original boxes to confirm that part.

777 did sound rather excellent I thought BTW, I bet the 555/666 does also.

Anyhow all good info and glad it finally emerged from obscurity of head-fi legend and lore, and mythology.

thanks for bringing this up again.

*** I should mention that in no way whatsoever does this Sapphire vs Titanium coating/40mm vs 50mm  detract from the fact they are excellent headphones, much  improved over the V6 that I have ( Japan model ).

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #45 of 55
Hi there,

Yes, the myths are out there.  I didn't know either way, and just wanted to know if what I had found was only part of the story. It still could be, but from what you tell, it seems I am on the right track.

My interest in the "issue" was merely that I am interested in these ancient beasts, and I wanted to know what I might be getting. People will come here and copy info (not maliciously) to describe the cans they are selling.  I just wanted to set the story straight (if possible) since what I found did not jive with what was stated here. BUT, let's keep in mind, 13 years ago, the internet was a different place, and perhaps all this just took time, as the web developed.  I can attest, there are a load of amazing Asian pages, here and there, regarding all things vintage (players, headphones, whatever), and it is really only down to google translate for the most part, that I could have access).

I have these great V4s and I love them as much as my D9's, but I really don't know much about them (by the way, if you know if the Sony MDR-V4 have the CCAW voice coil, do tell!).

As far as quality goes, hell, even PET can sound VERY good.  I expect most including and above V4 (like also V5) V6 (loads of info and kudos form them) V7 (now with your report and bits here and there) etc all will sound amazing in their own way.  So good to point out that sapphire, or diamond, or titanium (whatever), which yes, do exist (diamond for Aiwa HP-D9 and HP-V99 and possibly others), or NOT, doesn't detract from their awesomeness!

Anyway, thanks for chiming in, I think it is important to get the info as correct as possible and support for that is good to see!

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back