Got my Sony MDR-V7
May 12, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Notorious P.I.G.
They're kinda rare, aren't they?

I have seen three pair in 2 years of searching on e-bay. I won a pair a while back that was in Germany, and the seller would not sell to me in NA! Another pair showed up just a couple of months ago, but they went too high for my taste.

I don't think Sony sold very many of these. They were introduced in 1988 according to what I was able to find.

May 16, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #17 of 55
Now that I've had these for a few days, I'd say I would definitely recommend them over the V6 for portable use if you want a sensitive phone that isolates very well. They are flatter and faster than the V6, with a much smoother high end. They are not as sensitive as the D77's, but sensitive enough to be driven by the MZ-R50.

Someone said they were still being made under another number (MDR-CD900ST). If so, check them out!

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=218
lambda.gif

May 16, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
If you can't find any info on them here, they are most likely a rare set of cans.

I heard of them before and I believe that someone once here owned them. They are suppose to be a higher end version of the Sony MDR-V6.

May 29, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 55
Now that I have had them for a couple of weeks (and they have been thoroughly burned-in, HA HA) I can say that for anyone who likes the bass of the V6 but not the midrange or treble will love these, also available, I am told, as the MDR-CD900ST.

They are hardly colored, and come close to the MDR-D77 in sound quality, but are not quite as sensitive or as fast as the D77s.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=218

One is on e-bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5700761821

May 29, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
I just got a set of V-7's on e-bay.

The Sony MDR-V7 was the evil headphone that caused me to get caught up with HeadWize and then Head-Fi. My awesome Aiwa headphone had broken at the headpiece and was held together by duct tape. So my brother let me listen to his Sony MDR-V7. It sounded awesome! It had that fantastic characteristic Sony sound, a slightly boomy bottom end and radiant highs.

He also had a Sennheiser HD-280pro and I preferred the Sony MDR-V7 sound to his Sennheiser HD-280pro. My brother preferred the Sennheiser HD-280pro. I thought that he was a nut when he told me how much he spent on the Sony so I settled on a cheap $70 Guitar Center price-match purchase for the Sennheiser HD-280pro (I use it alot!). Even though I went the Sennheiser route, today I am glad that I did since I ended up getting in on the Sony MDR-CD780 eCost deal.
(Sony MDR-CD780 = Sony sound + comfort)

The Sony MDR-V7 is quite old so if you find one it may already have exhausted a great deal of its lifespan. However, it still might be worth a purchase if it is really cheap.
280smile.gif

May 29, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson
T
The Sony MDR-V7 is quite old so if you find one it may already have exhausted a great deal of its lifespan. However, it still might be worth a purchase if it is really cheap.
280smile.gif

This one seems quite lightly used, so I'm happy.

Jul 30, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 55
The MDR-900ST is the modern equlivalent of the old MDR-V7. I used to have a pair of V7's and i liked them alot so much thay got used up and sold should have restored them. the only links for the MDR-CD900ST is for Japan. and this is but one http://www.so-net.ne.jp/Shop/phone/phone.html
and another
http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/gen...T&iro=&kikaku=

now Audiocubes has them for $180.00 however this seams slightly high in price. http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=218 has anyone dealt with Audiocubes?

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Audiocube's price are a bit high but their customer service is first class. Kohn is really fast in answering emails and processing orders.

The price seems reasonable for the quality, MUCH better than V6.

What about V5, V4, and V3's?

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #27 of 55
I bought the CD900STs around 2 years ago while I was still living in Japan, so I thought I'd write a bit about them.

The MDR-CD900ST is an OEM product made especially for Sony Music Entertainment (Japan). It comes in a plain, flimsy, unmarked white box, and other than a clear plastic bag, there is no other packaging/insulation material. Because it is a SME product, warranties are handled only by SME, and the box contains no warranty card. Your reciept is your warranty.

I'm not sure about Sony Corporation's studio monitor headphones, but the MDR-CD900ST appears to have a built-in crossfeed. I say appears, because I haven't actually openned it to see the insides. It DOES have an unusually stable sonic image centered inside your head, and during burn-in, the frequency response of the 'phones changed to an abnormal extent (a complete lack of midrange first, then later as burn-in progressed, ridiculous amounts of bass, or something like that. I forget exactly now). The hard left/right placement of sounds also seems to be reduced with these 'phones.

The headphone is consistantly cited by various Japanese audio magazines as having a sound image similar to what you hear with speakers. It is true that these headphone don't have that in-your-face presentation that's a feature of a lot of headphones, and again there is that stable centered image. On the other hand, I find they lack the low level resolution needed to get a sense of any soundstage information.

Compared to other headphones I've tried like Grados, and the MDR-CD3000s, these headphones seem to require amplification with a lot of control. I've actually had the best luck with the speaker/line output of my DELL dimension PC. With any other amplifier, even an AD823/EL2008 combo, the 'phones lack life. Aggressive amplification seems to be the key to getting these things going. Used with the headphone outputs of my D-777, the phones are emensely dull, with absolutely no sense of pace. Used with the right amplification however, these phones have a very solid, bold, balanced sound.

Aug 5, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #28 of 55
Although this doesn't prove anything, I've just rememebered that I have heard a studio monitor headphone from Sony before, the MDR-V900. This was maybe 5 years ago, so my memory is foggy, and I hated them so much, I'd sold them 3 months after buying them. From what I remember, it didn't have that wierd, burn-in frequency response change thingy the CD900STs did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back