Got my K701's today!
Aug 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Just received my K701's from UPS today! Beautiful looking headphone.

I listened to them out of the box for about 1/2 hour. Not quite as balanced as my AD700's yet, but already more detail.

The ear pads are quite stiff, but I'm sure they will soften up after extended wear.

I got the 8 bump headband version, which this version also has the changed AKG logo on the side.

They are currently being "burned in" right now and I hope to hear some improvements in a few days.

(Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement)

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 48

Quote:
Just received my K701's from UPS today! Beautiful looking headphone.

I listened to them out of the box for about 1/2 hour. Not quite as balanced as my AD700's yet, but already more detail.

The ear pads are quite stiff, but I'm sure they will soften up after extended wear.

I got the 8 bump headband version, which this version also has the changed AKG logo on the side.

They are currently being "burned in" right now and I hope to hear some improvements in a few days.

(Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement)

Congrats and welcome to the K701 club! (ignore the haters... 
wink.gif
). I am sure you will love them, I always criticized them but they somehow always managed to be with me, and I will never sell them. To me for their price to performance ratio is amazing, even more so with good amplification, the detail and resolution they present is fantastic. Enjoy, Cheers.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 48
Thanks for the reply. I normally don't start a whole new thread when buying headphones, but these ones are just a bit special.
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty excited to hear them when they burned in, as they already sound pretty impressive. Hope they become even better!
tongue.gif

I was mainly looking for an upgrade to my AD700 since I liked their sound a lot, and I think I've found it. I *hope* I've found it.

Random Question (anyone) : Does the detail further improve when burning in, or just the overall tonality as well as improved bass/highs?

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 48
I just got a pair of K701's this week as well.  They are driven by a Headroom Micro Dac/Amp stack.  So far I am very very pleased.  

I think I may like them more than my HD600's.  I cannot decide which to keep I like them both so much!  
k701smile.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 48
I had a used pair, so I never encountered stiffness.  I did, however, have a great time with mine.  I agree with the comment, "Ignore the haters."  Do that.  And while you're at it, just use them.  LIsten to your favorite tunes.  Enjoy the music.  About the time you stop listening for something great to happen, the virtues of these cans will sneak up and wrap their arms around you.  It's nice when your headphones have love to share.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:
Whats your source BTW? 

Quote:
I dont think you are plugging them to your mp3 players. right? 

Actually, I am just running them straight from my Cowon iAudio 7.

I would have never got these headphones if it wasn't for THIS thread. Didn't think it was possible to run them without an amp. But there were a couple users on their that had no problems whatsoever running it straight from their Cowon player. If you don't believe me or have doubts, read some of JaZZ's posts, as he compares the K701's hooked up to the iAudio 7, and then the K701's hooked up through the Corda Opera / iAudio 7. This thread is probably the only reason I would venture out into hi-fi headphones without an amp.

biggrin.gif
Special thanks to a particular member: JaZZ
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 48
Hmm...without an amp you probably could had gotten the same level of or even higher quality sound with a more efficient can. You don't know what you're missing until you get better gear to drive those cans.

But I guess all that matters is how you like the sound unamped.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 48
If you can get some power on them, they will smooth out nicely. The bass does get a bit fuller (from new) and the spacious soundstage gets fixed instead of fading away. Your pads (I think) are the main difference. At a meet, another member had a fairly new pair of 702s. His pads were firm as well. Mine had been used for a few years and washed so the pads were well worn. We swapped the pads and the sound characteristics followed the pads.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 48
Yeah, there is always a way to "improve" sound isn't there. But at the current moment, I am not in the financial position to improve it any further. I'll have to hear what it sounds like after burn in, and see if I'm satisfied with the results. I already really enjoy the sound "out of the box" which is quite surprising, as I've heard "out of the box" sound isn't very impressive.

Amps have always been kind of strange to me. They seem pretty debatable. I wouldn't doubt if they improved the SQ, but by what margins are we talking about? Some users claim the difference is subtle, and most ears wouldn't really pick up on too much difference. I have never tried one, so I can't really comment.

My Cowon actually runs the K701's at a very good volume. I have the volume on about 35 for quiet songs, and 30-32 for loud songs, while the max volume for the mp3 is 40. So I don't think I'll ever have a problem with getting good enough volume from these.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the "soldering" issue, in which users state the natural swivel adjustment of the cups tend to weaken the inner soldering connections, which in time will disconnect entirely, making it so you have to solder them together yourself. I honestly *hope* durability is not an issue with these, as I treat all my headphones with pristine care and respect.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.
smile.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 48

Quote:
Yeah, there is always a way to "improve" sound isn't there. But at the current moment, I am not in the financial position to improve it any further. I'll have to hear what it sounds like after burn in, and see if I'm satisfied with the results. I already really enjoy the sound "out of the box" which is quite surprising, as I've heard "out of the box" sound isn't very impressive.

Amps have always been kind of strange to me. They seem pretty debatable. I wouldn't doubt if they improved the SQ, but by what margins are we talking about? Some users claim the difference is subtle, and most ears wouldn't really pick up on too much difference. I have never tried one, so I can't really comment.

My Cowon actually runs the K701's at a very good volume. I have the volume on about 35 for quiet songs, and 30-32 for loud songs, while the max volume for the mp3 is 40. So I don't think I'll ever have a problem with getting good enough volume from these.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the "soldering" issue, in which users state the natural swivel adjustment of the cups tend to weaken the inner soldering connections, which in time will disconnect entirely, making it so you have to solder them together yourself. I honestly *hope* durability is not an issue with these, as I treat all my headphones with pristine care and respect.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.
smile.gif

Being able to drive a headphone to adequate/high volumes is not the main purpose of an amplifier. While you may be able to drive the headphones to listenable volumes, it does not mean that they are getting the electrical current necessary for large voltage swings. An amplifier will correct this and make the headphone more easily able to attain voltage swings without diminishing sound quality. The result of this is a better sonic response and a more "true-to-the-headphone" sound. For the K702 that I have, it completely fixes the soundstage clarity and precision. The bass is controlled much better than without an amp and really has amazing texture to it once amped.

While my K702 sounds fairly decent on my Cowon S9, it sounds far, far better on my RSA Hornet via my PC (and also better with the RSA Hornet and the Cowon). An amplifier really does make these headphones shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back