Got my K701's today!
Aug 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #31 of 48
Welcome!

I recently sold mine. It was the only way I could fund my HD650 purchase :frowning2:

I already miss them. I had about 400 hrs on mine and with a decent amp they sound excellent!

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #33 of 48

Quote:
Just received my K701's from UPS today! Beautiful looking headphone.

(Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement)

@ katun , congratulations on your purchase , i hope you enjoy them , and excitement is always welcome here.
L3000.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #34 of 48

Quote:
haha how do u like the hd650? for me and my ears, hands down if i had to only have 1, i would take the hd650

The smaller soundstage is throwing me for a loop, and they are brand new, so burn-in is still underway. But so far, I do like them. And, I can actually listen to them for more than an hour without the top of my head hurting (the little 'dent' in the HD padding works miracles for my skull!)

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #35 of 48
I just about had a heart attack. I keep reading stuff about the breaking solder joints. This user describes it better:

"...the right channel not working due to a broken solder joint which was due to the gymbal assembly moving and fatiguing the joint..."

Is this the fate of all K701's or most? I honestly cannot keep a headphone that will die on me an any given time!

I'm a bit worried... Maybe the K701 was not such a good idea in the first place.
ph34r.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #36 of 48
Take good care of your stuff and it will be fine. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #37 of 48
I've had mine for almost 4 years with meets, packing them on the road and they are good as ever (exception being dog chewing).

Perhaps you're looking for a reason to move them on. If so, just do it and try something else.

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:
I've had mine for almost 4 years with meets, packing them on the road and they are good as ever (exception being dog chewing).

That's a big relief. I was waiting to hear from a long-term owner of one. The soldering issue *was* about the only thing that has been slightly worrying me, as a $250 headphone is no small and easy purchase.

Quote:
Happy Camper said:

Perhaps you're looking for a reason to move them on. If so, just do it and try something else.

Oh of course not, I just barely got them.
tongue.gif

As of right now, I find their sound very much to my liking, and that is before burn in (have 49 hrs at the moment). I also can't stop looking at them, they just look.. so good. Besides, with Mr. Amp-less here, I don't think I would find a better sounding headphone for the money.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #39 of 48
Ampless? Slowly put down your wallet and run 
regular_smile .gif
 Then again, the mediocreness of an unamped K701 will draw you in, begging to be amped. Choose wisely, it's either your wallet or your K701 
tongue.gif
 You will regret either way lmao
k701smile.gif
 At Head-Fi, there are 3 phases when making an expensive purchase:

Hesitation: Is before you hit that "order" button. You ask yourself "Should I? What are the consequences? Is it worth it?" You then do several more researching just to reassure yourself you're making the right choice. You will ignore any thoughts that will try to dissuade your impending purchase, afterall, you told yourself from before you've done "plenty" of research.
Breakdown: Is after you hit that "order" button. You feel as if you were stabbed in the chest. You ask yourself "What have I done? Maybe I've made the wrong choice!" You become disillusioned. You can't think straight. You've felt the financial pain from your wallet wondering where all the money went. You go back to head-fi and do a couple more researching, trying to reassure yourself you've made the right choice. You check your email everyday to keep track of the shipment. The wait is suspense! Your heart beats faster as the delivery date draws close!
Recovery: Is when you receive your goods and forget all about your financial woes. You open your package and smile as if God has delivered the holy grail of all headphones in its class. You feel relieved and happy! Your mind is at rest and you no longer feel the financial pain. Then... you remembered that these cans need an amplifier 
eek.gif
 The process starts over 
devil_face.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #44 of 48
Now you can save up for an amp! Trust me, hang around this place for any length of time and the wallet stays quite thin...for better or worse. 
dt880smile.png
...enjoy the journey!

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #45 of 48

Quote:
Now you can save up for an amp! Trust me, hang around this place for any length of time and the wallet stays quite thin...for better or worse. 
dt880smile.png
...enjoy the journey!

But we haven't even talked about a DAC, CD Transport, Interconnect cables, power cables, isolation cones, tube amps and tube rolling, power conditioners,etc...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back