Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best?
Jun 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

torred charger

New Head-Fier
Hey fellas, I'm harnessing the knowledge of the experts here....

So I wanted a good pair of over ear headphones that have good bass, but I don't want to break the bank at the same time. What do you guys recommend? 

I was looking at some skullcandy headphones lately... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skullcandy-SK-Pro-Over-Ear-DJ-Headphones-Lifetime-Warranty-Sparkle-Motion-/221016432865

but then I just noticed these beats!! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beats-Dr-Dre-Studio-Headphones-Refurbished-White-/120929596983

BTW, I have a set of Monster turbines in ear performance speakers if anyone is interested... they are great, i just wanna get over ear headphones now. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 34
The two brand you chose are not the most popular brands amongst audiophiles.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 should give you plenty of bass with a fairly balanced sound. Sennheiser HD25 is another great choice.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 34
When you say most popular... does that mean that I'm just paying for the name or they're most popular for a reason? I mean, I've read pretty decent reviews on skullcandy Gi, hesh over ear, and even the sk pro headphones. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:
When you say most popular... does that mean that I'm just paying for the name or they're most popular for a reason? I mean, I've read pretty decent reviews on skullcandy Gi, hesh over ear, and even the sk pro headphones. 

They are not popular as in, we don't endorse them as they have either poor sound, or are a huge rip off (pay for a name).  The new Skullcandy line (from what I've read from Tyll and others on Head-Fi) are not bad and actually better than they used to be.  Skullcandy is evolving as a brand, for the good.  Beats never did, and never will.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

They are not popular as in, we don't endorse them as they have either poor sound, or are a huge rip off (pay for a name).  The new Skullcandy line (from what I've read from Tyll and others on Head-Fi) are not bad and actually better than they used to be.  Skullcandy is evolving as a brand, for the good.  Beats never did, and never will.

Hmmmm, my friend had these Beats studio headphones he let me listen to them at school... I'll be honest, I was blown away by the sound quality and the bass, but the thing is, I've never really listened to high quality headphones like those beats studio. And my sister just got the ibeats, and man those are amazing, they sound great! But I want over ear headphones. 

And about the 25% off coupon, where can I find that? and how will i use that at the ebay store? 

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
Hmmmm, my friend had these Beats studio headphones he let me listen to them at school... I'll be honest, I was blown away by the sound quality and the bass, but the thing is, I've never really listened to high quality headphones like those beats studio. And my sister just got the ibeats, and man those are amazing, they sound great! But I want over ear headphones. 

And about the 25% off coupon, where can I find that? and how will i use that at the ebay store? 

You've been introduced to "high quality"...  I put it in quotes because it isn't exactly high quality, but a step forward.  I don't own too many over ears, so I can't help you there. I have no clue where to get a 25% off coupon.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 34
Here you go: http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

That link has the refurbished Studio for $199 direct from monster. Half the time, people get brand new ones.

The 25% off code is "friendsandfamily25offx2012". Just enter that, and you'll have paid less than half for genuine beats.

Enjoy.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Beats (in general) are an improvement over stock iBuds, but that's only because you've been listening to iBuds. People who have never listened to good headphones are wowed by Beats.

If you listen to real professional studio/DJ headphones that are found in actual pro studios you'll find them to sound far better than any Beats. And most of the money goes to the brand, not the product. As already stated, the sennheiser hd-25/amperior/nike-sport version are all great. The newer more expensive updated versions look better than the original too. And their very sturdy unlike Beats. Skullcandy Aviators are surprisingly good but still don't compare to cans like the ATH m-50.

This is quite a good resource thread by joker: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
Here you go: http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

That link has the refurbished Studio for $199 direct from monster. Half the time, people get brand new ones.

The 25% off code is "friendsandfamily25offx2012". Just enter that, and you'll have paid less than half for genuine beats.

Enjoy.

Wow... thanks!! i really appreciate it, so do you think for $150, that the beats are good? I mean, if I can better over ear headphones than the beats for $150 then I wanna know. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 34
You want over ears, so the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii is out. If you like the Beats sound, would it be too much for me to assume that you like your bass nice and loud? If that's the case, here you go:

Audio Technica ATH M-50
V-MODA Crossfade LP2
M-Audio Q40
Sony XB500/XB700
Phiaton MS400
Denon AH-D1100

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
and btw, does anyone know if the refurbished beats come with everything that new beats comes with? 

One caveat with the Beats Studios is that they require batteries to run. If your batteries die, so does your music. Factor that into the cost.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
Beats (in general) are an improvement over stock iBuds, but that's only because you've been listening to iBuds. People who have never listened to good headphones are wowed by Beats.

I'm finding that posts like these are starting to annoy me more every time I see one.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 34
I have purchased several Monster Outlet products over the last 2 years. Most do not come with a full accessory pack but have the essentials (case and tips). Two have been brand new in the shrink wrap (Tributes and Beatbox).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back