Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 23, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #45,631 of 62,747
I tried my Azla Xelastec tips with newly (just now) updated MW08 Sport.
ANC set to "All day".
The MW08S has never sounded better. Punchier bass, less muddy and more crispy and detailed.
BTW, the mics is WAY better than before after the 2 latest updates.
I just tried this combination with my MW08’s. Updated the firmware and changed Spinfit 360s for Azla Xelastec tips. The sound is so much crisper, more detailed and less muddy.

I had mostly given up on these MW08s and gone back to my MW07 Plus’ because I didn’t like the muddy sound and inferior mics. These tips definitely cleaned up sound even more than spiral dots had and initially seem as comfortable as spinfits. Firmware update helped the mic clarity also. MW08s had been a struggle since my Mw07 Plus were near perfect except for non-existent noise cancelling.

May 23, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #45,633 of 62,747
Do any Fokus Pro owners have some EQ settings they'd like to share please?
The one I’ve been using past 24 hours based on built-in sound test, but I brought bass down a little from the results (which you may not expect since everything in the EQ is raised). In short, I seem to have lost some hearing as I couldn’t hear many of the tones, and I think I like the way this sounds. FYI, I keep volume well below 50%.

Edit: I still can’t believe I’m listening with any bass kicked up, as when I first put them on they sounded too warm and I couldn’t hear the highs and mids. So of course I just kicked up those frequencies. That’s how I listened for the first few days. Then I tried the sound test again and gave some time for brain burn in and now I can’t go back to my earlier eq settings. Wild!

Attachments

• 3D04AB07-B50D-400B-9A94-82D80992BA8F.jpeg
    3D04AB07-B50D-400B-9A94-82D80992BA8F.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #45,634 of 62,747
When you say the sound isn't as good as the XM4 in what way?
Theoretically, because the drivers are smaller in the Linkbuds S, but that said I still like the sound. I can't compare and contrast because I got rid of my XM4 a while back due to fit. But from what I've read, the XM4 are the premium sounding pair. It's all relative, as you know. Fit, form and function all comes into play. I will say, all the controls are the same and ANC is great. I've been using them all weekend. The only think I'm still missing is Qi charging.

May 23, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #45,637 of 62,747
A bit of a slow day. The new Linkbuds S have a newer 5mm driver now making me think about the speaker tech and remembered about all the stuff we heard about at CES. Of course things are still slow and even shutdown atm so not much in the way of progress. We had new smaller amps coming for portables and the new combo solutions we mentioned earlier when poking fun at Noble and with the new tech they could integrate ANC and all w/o the compromise they say they have to make for a FoKus. So, let's talk some of the new speaker tech. Nice if there are gonna be smaller high SQ amps there should be smaller speakers to go along with them. Sounds Great doing semiconductor speaker tech to really reduce size. As they say you can fit six speakers per side in the space that normally used for one.

A little from the sounds great speaker info...

"Touted as a breakthrough in speaker technology, Sounds Great's Motion Microchip reduces the form factor by 90% compared to the traditional coil in dynamic drivers used in earphones, while increasing the potential power range by 10x. These claims are now finding potential interest in a wider range of applications, from conferencing solutions to new-generation wearables, where the demand for higher quality audio output at lower power is rising exponentially.

But it's the potential appeal for efficient multi-driver TWS earbuds and hearing aids that stands-out as an immediate market for the semiconductor speaker (semicon speaker) technology. "Sounds Great's SDS solution is turning the audio world on its head by enabling two to six Dynamic Speakers in one earbud, compared to a single such speaker in existing earphones," says Ted Zhou."

Discuss. Anyone want to see a Wizard tuned 6 driver per side 4 semicon/ 2 BA hybrid with a next gen DAC/amp chip and ANC inside the FoKus housing? Gotta have the Exeger Powerfoyle solar charge case though.:)

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #45,638 of 62,747
Take "bass heavy" with a grain of salt since that is very subjective and can also vary based on fit. That is why I qualified it with "than I liked". I don't find the Linkbuds to lack in bass once EQ'd but others may describe them as having no bass. I think it is all relative and personal preference plays a huge role.

As for open design, Galaxy Buds Live and the Linkbuds are the only ones I can speak to since those are the only ones that I have but I would not consider Galaxy Buds Live to be completely open the same way the Linkbuds are. I can actually get somewhat of a seal with the Galaxy Buds Live such that the ANC actually does make a difference (e.g. reducing fan noise). Of the two, the Linkbuds definitely win in the situational awareness department and you can literally hear everything around you like you aren't wearing earbuds. I think the Linkbuds are great for certain situations (love them for use in the office or calls at home) but when in a noisier environment, I still reach for my Galaxy Buds Live for calls.
I had the galaxy buds live and to me they were bass heavy, and lacked clarity. I also couldn’t get a consistent fit.

May 23, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #45,639 of 62,747
Yeah, I thought same thing when I started using them. I just brought my whole line down, keeping the same shape. Similar sound, just turn up the volume!!
Ya know the great thing about this set is... If you were to put these drivers in a regular iem shell and tuned them, I really believe these drivers are fantastic and would sound as such. Even in tws form they sound amazing to whatever I eq them to. Really you can find almost any sound signature with the fokus pro. I like authoritive bass but not unruly bass. It has to be tight but with heft. I love good mids even more. Awesome vocals, mids that aren't shouty but are forward enough. I also like highs that add air to the mix, perception of details. I can get really close with the fokus pro.

May 23, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #45,640 of 62,747
A bit of a slow day. The new Linkbuds S have a newer 5mm driver now making me think about the speaker tech and remembered about all the stuff we heard about at CES. Of course things are still slow and even shutdown atm so not much in the way of progress. We had new smaller amps coming for portables and the new combo solutions we mentioned earlier when poking fun at Noble and with the new tech they could integrate ANC and all w/o the compromise they say they have to make for a FoKus. So, let's talk some of the new speaker tech. Nice if there are gonna be smaller high SQ amps there should be smaller speakers to go along with them. Sounds Great doing semiconductor speaker tech to really reduce size. As they say you can fit six speakers per side in the space that normally used for one.

A little from the sounds great speaker info...

"Touted as a breakthrough in speaker technology, Sounds Great's Motion Microchip reduces the form factor by 90% compared to the traditional coil in dynamic drivers used in earphones, while increasing the potential power range by 10x. These claims are now finding potential interest in a wider range of applications, from conferencing solutions to new-generation wearables, where the demand for higher quality audio output at lower power is rising exponentially.

But it's the potential appeal for efficient multi-driver TWS earbuds and hearing aids that stands-out as an immediate market for the semiconductor speaker (semicon speaker) technology. "Sounds Great's SDS solution is turning the audio world on its head by enabling two to six Dynamic Speakers in one earbud, compared to a single such speaker in existing earphones," says Ted Zhou."

Discuss. Anyone want to see a Wizard tuned 6 driver per side 4 semicon/ 2 BA hybrid with a next gen DAC/amp chip and ANC inside the FoKus housing? Gotta have the Exeger Powerfoyle solar charge case though.:)
Hi Jant71,
Do you have pic of the die or mask of this DD driver integrated on silicon?
What is used for the membrane?
I know the speakers in mobile devices are becoming super small, but this is new to me.

May 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #45,641 of 62,747

Honestly driver count doesn’t excite me as much as how well implemented the system as a whole is, along with features like water/dust resistance and decent mics does. We have all heard times where a single DD could sound better than a multi driver setup

May 23, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #45,642 of 62,747
Hi Jant71,
Do you have pic of the die or mask of this DD driver integrated on silicon?
What is used for the membrane?
I know the speakers in mobile devices are becoming super small, but this is new to me.
Gotta go eat but I'll post these pics real quick. Feel free to dig for any more info that might be floating out there.
1653348569258.png

Sounds Great introduced the nano-semiconductor technology as part of the Taiwan Startup CES 2021 showcase. The concept of a speaker chip, with a minimal size of just 1mm x 1mm x 0.2mm was pitched as an ideal solution to extend battery life in true wireless earbuds with the possibility to create larger chips optimized for lower frequency ranges that could be combined without impact consumption in a major way. But the potential applications for Sounds Great' Semicon Speaker technology are much larger and that's what the company is promoting at this year's CES.
1653348615009.png

SDS also reproduces stereo sound in a 7x6mm form factor with independent tweeters, mid-range, woofers and even subwoofers focusing on very low frequency, resulting in sound pressure level optimization with extended frequency response.

An advantage mentioned specifically by Ted Zhou for this technology is the ability to customize the sound curve with precision, acting over very narrow bands in the signal, instead of amplifying or attenuating entire frequency bands. In its website the company already discusses possible array customizations from a 2-speaker system to a 4-speaker system, with or without Bass Reflex Port.

Sounds Great is also working on the development of multiple diaphragm materials on each independent speaker, creating SDS arrays with richer timbres for enhanced sound reproduction. "SDS' ability to create powerful and quality sound from compact spaces is a precursor to even more revolutionary audio applications such as hidden speakers on eyeglasses, AR/VR solutions, smart furniture, and even redefine car stereo architecture," adds co-founder Edmund Wu.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #45,643 of 62,747
Gotta go eat but I'll post these pics real quick. Feel free to dig for any more info that might be floating out there.
1653348569258.png
Sounds Great introduced the nano-semiconductor technology as part of the Taiwan Startup CES 2021 showcase. The concept of a speaker chip, with a minimal size of just 1mm x 1mm x 0.2mm was pitched as an ideal solution to extend battery life in true wireless earbuds with the possibility to create larger chips optimized for lower frequency ranges that could be combined without impact consumption in a major way. But the potential applications for Sounds Great' Semicon Speaker technology are much larger and that's what the company is promoting at this year's CES.
1653348615009.png
SDS also reproduces stereo sound in a 7x6mm form factor with independent tweeters, mid-range, woofers and even subwoofers focusing on very low frequency, resulting in sound pressure level optimization with extended frequency response.

An advantage mentioned specifically by Ted Zhou for this technology is the ability to customize the sound curve with precision, acting over very narrow bands in the signal, instead of amplifying or attenuating entire frequency bands. In its website the company already discusses possible array customizations from a 2-speaker system to a 4-speaker system, with or without Bass Reflex Port.

Sounds Great is also working on the development of multiple diaphragm materials on each independent speaker, creating SDS arrays with richer timbres for enhanced sound reproduction. "SDS' ability to create powerful and quality sound from compact spaces is a precursor to even more revolutionary audio applications such as hidden speakers on eyeglasses, AR/VR solutions, smart furniture, and even redefine car stereo architecture," adds co-founder Edmund Wu.
Thank you!!
I’ve got reading to do….

May 23, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #45,644 of 62,747
Ex owners, do you find the case battery drains quickly? Nothing scientific but I find myself having a dead case quite a bit even without a ton of use. Thanks.

May 23, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #45,645 of 62,747
Ex owners, do you find the case battery drains quickly? Nothing scientific but I find myself having a dead case quite a bit even without a ton of use. Thanks.
You're not the only one. I'm experiencing weird draining issues. For instance, fully charged, but then my left bud was at 90 and I hadn't even used them. I've see the case drain too. I'm hoping they get a firmware update out there that helps this. It's not often to bother me because I have a rotation. But still, it is odd and a bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back