Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 24, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #45,661 of 62,443
I'm sorta miffed by the battery drainage on the EX, both case and phones. I mean, not to the point where I wake them up and they're at 20%. I just thought there'd be a lot more in the reserve; especially considering I charge them whenever I'm done with them. I'm hoping a firmware update addresses this. It's not a 'problem' but as someone said, for $400, not cool.
Have other TWS units that do not suffer this and may lose 5% charge in a week of no use but never deplete the battery of the TWS units and the case. As I am also one that charges the TWS units 100% after using
I’m wondering if this is an app/software issue and not a earbud/case issue because they just updated the app yesterday. After they did so, I noticed different numbers for the battery charge. Before the update the numbers were different. 🤷
If done properly, once the monitors are returned to the case, they should shut off completely. So after charging they should not drain at all (unless stored for a very long time). My point is that, of the TWS I currently own, I can leave them sit for months with 0 battery drain, other than the initial charging of the monitors when first inserted after use.

I used to have the Bose Soundsport Free TWS, and they would CONSTANTLY drain the case because they were always on, and trying to connect. This wasn't fixable with a FW update, and Bose never admitted the problem, but after a time, users all over figured it out, and were pretty angry that if you let them sit (in the case) for more than a week or so, they would be totally dead.

I hope for all of your sakes (that own them) that it IS addressable with a FW update. It really wasn't a big deal with the Bose IF I used them on a daily basis, but if you have a large rotation like I do, you may not come back to them for some time, and they might be dead. On top of that, it means that you CAN'T store them, and the battery capacity will diminish quicker than otherwise.

Just my $.02!

May 24, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #45,662 of 62,443
Have other TWS units that do not suffer this and may lose 5% charge in a week of no use but never deplete the battery of the TWS units and the case. As I am also one that charges the TWS units 100% after using
I have the FiiL T1XS. The case is tiny and so are the buds fairly compact, I can leave them charged in the car or gym bag and come back after 3 months and they are still ready to go, now this is a $50 set so I’m not expecting much but for $400 that would annoy me for sure.

May 24, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #45,663 of 62,443
If done properly, once the monitors are returned to the case, they should shut off completely. So after charging they should not drain at all (unless stored for a very long time). My point is that, of the TWS I currently own, I can leave them sit for months with 0 battery drain, other than the initial charging of the monitors when first inserted after use.

I used to have the Bose Soundsport Free TWS, and they would CONSTANTLY drain the case because they were always on, and trying to connect. This wasn't fixable with a FW update, and Bose never admitted the problem, but after a time, users all over figured it out, and were pretty angry that if you let them sit (in the case) for more than a week or so, they would be totally dead.

I hope for all of your sakes (that own them) that it IS addressable with a FW update. It really wasn't a big deal with the Bose IF I used them on a daily basis, but if you have a large rotation like I do, you may not come back to them for some time, and they might be dead. On top of that, it means that you CAN'T store them, and the battery capacity will diminish quicker than otherwise.

Just my $.02!
Yes, it was irritating…,
But that soundstage has yet to be beaten!!!
I still love and use them….
I simply recharge before use…

May 24, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #45,664 of 62,443
Received my linBuds S and have been using all day. Even tough these are priced less than the XM4 , the ANC feels same to my ears and I think is associated to the stock tips and the ergonomcs of the new shape. Has not bothered me after some long sessions of music and calls. These tip work really well. I did a swap with the XM 4 however the shape of the internal side still does not allow a similar fit. I am ok with trading the wireless charging

If someone is looking to try some Sony TWS, would recommend these.

May 24, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #45,665 of 62,443
Hey y'all, that itch has started and it's time to start the search for a new pair of TWS. Last time I was on the CA 1+, Nuarl N6 Pro2, Status Audio, XM3 & Mw07 were all the latest rave.

I thought I could go ahead and spend the next few weeks trawling the pages here and the internet over there for the latest and greatest. Or I thought I could beg to you lovely people (I bought a lady begging for food beef noodles this morning so don't go telling me that I don't deserve it) No good deed huh?

Anyway I digress, What's new on the TWS market and what has replaced the previously mentioned models and brands as the cool kid on the block?

May 24, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #45,666 of 62,443
Hey y'all, that itch has started and it's time to start the search for a new pair of TWS. Last time I was on the CA 1+, Nuarl N6 Pro2, Status Audio, XM3 & Mw07 were all the latest rave.

I thought I could go ahead and spend the next few weeks trawling the pages here and the internet over there for the latest and greatest. Or I thought I could beg to you lovely people (I bought a lady begging for food beef noodles this morning so don't go telling me that I don't deserve it) No good deed huh?

Anyway I digress, What's new on the TWS market and what has replaced the previously mentioned models and brands as the cool kid on the block?
I'd say the best of the new releases (not necessarily in this order) are: Noble Fokus Pro, B&O EX and the Astell&Kern UW100, but they'd cost you. Some of us are trying out the new Sony Linkbuds S and they're really great. You can just type these in the search and you'll see us all chattering about the former and latter list.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #45,667 of 62,443
Yes, it was irritating…,
But that soundstage has yet to be beaten!!!
I still love and use them….
I simply recharge before use…
Unfortunately, I had to give mine away to my son because I didn't want them to sit (and rot, so to speak) because I didn't use them enough. My son uses them every day (AFAIK).

May 24, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #45,668 of 62,443

My very personal top 5 right now are:

1. Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3
2. Bang & Olufsen EQ
3. Master & Dynamic MW08 Sport
4. Sony WF-1000XM4
5. Devialet Gemini

That's including everything they bring onto the table, not just sound quality alone, though.

We've heard good things about the newly released B&O EX here, too e.g. but I haven't tested them myself yet. Love the EQ, though. Same applies to the already mentioned Astell & Kern offering, although they still look a bit bulky to me and don't offer ANC and voice controls. Finally, the Noble Audio FoKus Pro are very highly regarded here as well. I've only read reviews myself which ranged between good and excellent :)

May 24, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #45,669 of 62,443
Received my linBuds S and have been using all day. Even tough these are priced less than the XM4 , the ANC feels same to my ears and I think is associated to the stock tips and the ergonomcs of the new shape. Has not bothered me after some long sessions of music and calls. These tip work really well. I did a swap with the XM 4 however the shape of the internal side still does not allow a similar fit. I am ok with trading the wireless charging

If someone is looking to try some Sony TWS, would recommend these.
Do you still have the XM4? I am looking for a semi detailed comparison on bass, mids, treble and sound stage/imaging. I keep reading the XM4 sound better but no details on the why they sound better. Personally I found the XM3 to be to dark and from everything I read the XM4 was even darker, so am hoping these might actually better balanced and have a bit more sparkle, if so then I would consider that an improvement versus less a downgrade in sound quality.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #45,670 of 62,443
Can confirm my EX has a case drain issue. Fully charged on Sunday. Haven’t used the buds at all. Buds are at 100 percent. Case is at 66 percent. This is a bummer as the last exchange I did for my EQs took forever. Not pleased.

May 25, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #45,672 of 62,443
Do you still have the XM4? I am looking for a semi detailed comparison on bass, mids, treble and sound stage/imaging. I keep reading the XM4 sound better but no details on the why they sound better. Personally I found the XM3 to be to dark and from everything I read the XM4 was even darker, so am hoping these might actually better balanced and have a bit more sparkle, if so then I would consider that an improvement versus less a downgrade in sound quality.
I do and to tell you the truth I could not really tell you a distinguish any real difference. Moved around the eq presets to see if I could find a bit more detail or clarity with some test tracks , but again nothing stood out,even under bass boats preset,maybe a bit more treble on the XM4 but this is stretching. The new ones do seal a lot more so this could be the reason.

May 25, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #45,673 of 62,443
So essentially a similarly sounding TWS with better comfort and possibly a bit less ANC and no wireless charging both things I don't place as much value on. From the reviews I have listened to, the Linkbuds S actually have better call quality.

Have to admit I miss the Sony sound... Hope these go on sale soon. Will keep reading and watching :).

May 25, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #45,674 of 62,443
If anybody is curious about the Jabra 7 Pro with the new firmware or the 3 I'm slimming my collection, they are both up for grabs. I'll let the 7 go for $90 for head-fi folk. I just have too many and could use the spare change.

May 25, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #45,675 of 62,443
Again I'll say the geekfly tws is better than the lot.
"The"? They have at least 3. Assuming you mean the 10. : ) Though I get it as they are tweaks/revisions of the same design.

They are good but you can't blame people for shying away. They are not easy to return for those who want to be able to do that. The controls still need work. The codecs and features are few as well. They are for the SQ only crowd for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back