Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #23,386 of 62,298
Same. I just want them to add ANC to their Buds +, and improve the bass a little. Heaven :). I would rather they don't mess around with weird bean shapes :)

Oh, and add aptX.

I just want them to add a wider frequency response to the transparency mode so it's not so tinny sounding, and take the edge off the treble with music, while adding a 10 band EQ to the app. AAC and ANC would be icing on the cake.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #23,388 of 62,298
There aren't a lot of TWS that have a dedicated app anymore.

If you slide that to "optional," you might give the Advanced Sound Model X+ a look. I own them along with the Phaiser Fusion One, which are indeed very loud and sound fantastic for the money, and I love them immensely. The X+ are not exactly U shaped out of the box, but they EQ wonderfully using Wavelet on Android - you'd just need to pump up the treble a bit. They get louder than I can handle, but don't have the same level of max volume as the Phaisers (does anything??).

They also don't support multipoint. Very, very few TWS do.

But they sound great, with wonderful imaging and separation and very tight bass.
How about Tevi's SQ & overall performace?

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #23,389 of 62,298
Decided to wait two days to publish this review, as today is the first anniversary of my wireless earbuds review site. :-D

I LOVE the Soundcore Spirit Dot 2. Nothing natural, but such an engaging, immersive sound!
Congrats to the one year anniversary! I remember this time last year being super hot around the whole emerging(*) TWS market .. I must have shopped nearly as heavily as you, but did not have the patience nor diligence to do all the testing / sampling / write ups / pictures and all those fantastic comparisons that you do!
I recall your first 'page' on Medium, before Scarbir ... was the first big hole in my wallet maker ... pretty much got everything that was recommended there :D
Let's see if you will hit 200 buds by mid 2021

(*)emerging chi-fi cheap TWS market might be a better term

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #23,390 of 62,298
HI ! my MW7 plus have arrived .big disappointment ... the sound is really poor, non-existent bass and cold highs ...... I will definitely give it back, it is absolutely not worth the 225 euros paid, maybe I will take a MW7 at 100 ... maybe ...

My regular 99€ MW07 have reached Germany (from California! I wonder how much they pay for shipping!) and are supposed to be in my hands by Wednesday, I really hope that it is a seal issue that you are having ... have not even checked the return policy ... also have not checked WHY I then ended up ordering, after I firmly stated here I would NOT get them ...
I am weak ...
Also looking at those Mpow M30, currently limited time deal on amazon.de

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #23,391 of 62,298
So the Tozo NC9 have arrived and unfortunately there is indeed no cycling through ANC ON/Transparency/ANC OFF like on the 20Decebel version reviewed by Bartig. How silly of them, for wind noise while riding a bike but also for battery life ! Now the potentially good news is that they are compatible with the 20Decebel app ! Equalizer (useless unfortunately) works as well as ANC ON/Transparency but the ANC OFF option does not appear to do anything. It even checks for a possible firmware upgrade (they're running 1.3.6) but no new update is found so that's where the compatibility might end...

EDIT - actually the ANC OFF switch in the APP does work as I found by putting my head close to my fan as the wind noise picked up by the ANC mics disappears when it's activated. Nice !

As for the Transparency and ANC modes well they're "super extra light sauce", this ain't the Amazon Echo Buds ! Transparency will not allow you to have a conversation and ANC you can "sense" it's there but it doesn't block out much.

Oh and SQ is...ok, a bit dull and treble light but I'll have to spend more time with them.

Ah and a triple tap will bring up Google Assistant.
Thanks for the extensive testing (even with the app!) & saving me 60€ ... maybe I SHOULD now get those M30 instead :)

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #23,392 of 62,298
Although I wouldn't recommend the KZ S2's to just anyone, or everyone, I'm really enjoying them the more I use them.

The KZ S2's are persnickety in their BT usage - even stable usage gets "glitches" at times - but if you don't panic you can ride it out and they'll "come back", or require 8 second hold the touch on both to reset and re-bind to my device - required less and less often btw.

The sound is worth it. Turning on "loudness equalization" in Windows for the KZ S2 device makes them bloom and gives a little more headroom to their maximum usable volume range.

I've used them for hours at home to be able to walk around and interact with others, also used them mobile while on brief shopping trips and while waiting for services, and having 2 pair lets me bridge the gap on long excursions - I really recommend having 2 or more of the same TWS for coverage on longer time periods, and once they recharge in their cases you can loop back and reuse them. 3 is a good number, perhaps safer than 2. I may get another S2.

Oddly KZ can't provide additional memory foam eartips, they sent me dimensions and images but say they can't give me the foam tip manufacturer info or how to get more of them, and afaik no more can be bought from KZ. Do any of you know where to get them? :)
I only gave the S2 a brief listen, but so far liked what I heard. Did not have any trouble with the connection.

But mainly Thank You for the Word of the Day!

persnickety_-_Google_Search.jpg

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #23,394 of 62,298
Yes and no. Windows will do decent SBC and lots of sets allow you to use the highest settings available on windows (SBC Bitpool 53). Samsung just sets a lower maximum value which caps the max bitrate. The odd thing is that none of their windows products even has their Scalable Codec so you're always screwed on Windows (no AAC). So even if PCs had great SBC implementation (Dual Channel and high Bitpool), Samsung's devices wouldn't let you use that capability.

Even Gen 1 airpods have maximum SBC Bitpool of 250!
There were some users claiming they got the Buds+ sound good on their devices be it BT5.0 or 4.2, but maybe the issue doesn't show up on some tracks or at lower volumes. I find that much of the buzzing distortion is gone when the volume is below 50%, but to me this is way too quiet.

I find it odd that Samsung's nerfing SBC yet they still focjus on Windows 10 integration features such as Swift Pair. Another oddity is my Buds+ sounds equally bad when "dual audio output" is enabled to output to the Buds+ and second Bluetooth audio device, so I'm guessing the bitpool doesn't change much if at all. Other TWS sound good with SBC until you enable this option to which they sound just as bad as Buds+. Anyways, it's a pretty sloppy feature on Android for simultaneous output because TWS tend to delay behind the second audio device.

Most of my other TWS still sound good on SBC with Windows 10 - the highs may be slightly less defined and the bass more boomy but still very respectable. It has been argued that the "cleaner" sound of AptX and/or AAC is due in part to the lows being rolled off and compressed dynamic range.

Same. I just want them to add ANC to their Buds +, and improve the bass a little. Heaven :). I would rather they don't mess around with weird bean shapes :)

Oh, and add aptX.
The bean shape isn't terrible, reminds me of Anbes 359, Tronsmart Onyx Neo and Aufo M1, just without in-ear.

I wonder if the Buds+ was capable of ANC but they decided not to implement it at the last minute. The ambient sound feature has an aggressive noise reduction feature after an update in April.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #23,396 of 62,298
My regular 99€ MW07 have reached Germany (from California! I wonder how much they pay for shipping!) and are supposed to be in my hands by Wednesday, I really hope that it is a seal issue that you are having ... have not even checked the return policy ... also have not checked WHY I then ended up ordering, after I firmly stated here I would NOT get them ...
I am weak ...
I have tried several true wireless buds and I think my MW07 Go's are not only the best sounding but also best fitting. I does take a little trial and error with the right tip and wing combo but worth taking the time to get a good seal. I have been using a self made combo tip for a while now and the bass definitely thumps while not being over bearing. Interested to hear what you think when you finally get them.

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #23,397 of 62,298
Finally got my Haylou GT1 PLUS today (that was a very loooong journey) .. and boy, how great are those guys? I was never that excited with the GT2 for example. These are as awesome as the original GT1 .. but now when connected via AptX to my Tempotec playa, wow, added detail and sparkle. Sweet stuff!

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #23,398 of 62,298
There were some users claiming they got the Buds+ sound good on their devices be it BT5.0 or 4.2, but maybe the issue doesn't show up on some tracks or at lower volumes. I find that much of the buzzing distortion is gone when the volume is below 50%, but to me this is way too quiet.

I find it odd that Samsung's nerfing SBC yet they still focjus on Windows 10 integration features such as Swift Pair. Another oddity is my Buds+ sounds equally bad when "dual audio output" is enabled to output to the Buds+ and second Bluetooth audio device, so I'm guessing the bitpool doesn't change much if at all. Other TWS sound good with SBC until you enable this option to which they sound just as bad as Buds+. Anyways, it's a pretty sloppy feature on Android for simultaneous output because TWS tend to delay behind the second audio device.

Most of my other TWS still sound good on SBC with Windows 10 - the highs may be slightly less defined and the bass more boomy but still very respectable. It has been argued that the "cleaner" sound of AptX and/or AAC is due in part to the lows being rolled off and compressed dynamic range.

The bean shape isn't terrible, reminds me of Anbes 359, Tronsmart Onyx Neo and Aufo M1, just without in-ear.

I wonder if the Buds+ was capable of ANC but they decided not to implement it at the last minute. The ambient sound feature has an aggressive noise reduction feature after an update in April.
So basically, at least for you, Galaxy Buds + on Win10 (SBC) sound bad. Argh. I wish they had aptX - there are aptX transmitters, but not AAC.

Right, but the no in-ear is the crtical part. Makes me a bit worried.

Its quite rare to find brand-name TWS buds for $150 that have ANC. Almost every TWS w/ANC starts at $200 or greater. But yes, it would have made them awesome.

I didn't hear about this update. Does it improve isolation enough?

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #23,399 of 62,298
Finally got my Haylou GT1 PLUS today (that was a very loooong journey) .. and boy, how great are those guys? I was never that excited with the GT2 for example. These are as awesome as the original GT1 .. but now when connected via AptX to my Tempotec playa, wow, added detail and sparkle. Sweet stuff!

Love the GT1 Plus. Great timbre and balanced sound for such a little money. Win!

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #23,400 of 62,298
I am weak ...
99€ is quite cheap! Nice! That translates to ~$110 USD, and in the US Amazon has them discounted to $120, down from $140.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back