Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #23,356 of 62,599
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #23,357 of 62,599
I am enjoying my MW07Plus very much, even on Iphone with SBC they sound wonderful.
Also, the latest APP FW update mede them sound very vey good. Enjoying them as well.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #23,358 of 62,599
Warning for Iphone users from my own bad experience: do not install the new os14 beta FW. All my bluetooth earphones sound flat and boring on it. I had to reinstall os13.5 and
now the sound is back to normal.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #23,359 of 62,599
So the Tozo NC9 have arrived and unfortunately there is indeed no cycling through ANC ON/Transparency/ANC OFF like on the 20Decebel version reviewed by Bartig. How silly of them, for wind noise while riding a bike but also for battery life ! Now the potentially good news is that they are compatible with the 20Decebel app ! Equalizer (useless unfortunately) works as well as ANC ON/Transparency but the ANC OFF option does not appear to do anything. It even checks for a possible firmware upgrade (they're running 1.3.6) but no new update is found so that's where the compatibility might end...

EDIT - actually the ANC OFF switch in the APP does work as I found by putting my head close to my fan as the wind noise picked up by the ANC mics disappears when it's activated. Nice !

As for the Transparency and ANC modes well they're "super extra light sauce", this ain't the Amazon Echo Buds ! Transparency will not allow you to have a conversation and ANC you can "sense" it's there but it doesn't block out much.

Oh and SQ is...ok, a bit dull and treble light but I'll have to spend more time with them.

Ah and a triple tap will bring up Google Assistant.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #23,360 of 62,599
This really grinds your gears lol. I sent them back and refuse to buy Samsung products without purposely handicapped SBC or no aptX.
Agreed. It bothers me as well... never. understood why they disabled aptX HD on their phones either. With aptX adaptive starting to come out, I don't see the point of the scalable codec. if they somehow think it will lock you into their ecosystem, the average consumer probably has no idea what aptX, scalable or codec means or they probably don't care to know. When you're charging $1k+ for a flagship device, I cant see the licensing fees being that relevant.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #23,362 of 62,599
Well, I'd much rather have a good SBC implementation that a product that intentionally gimps it in favour of proprietary codecs (looking at you Samsung!).

I'm more irritated by the presence of stems. With better mic technology, couldn't no-stem TWS catch up to the call quality of stem TWS?

Wondering how the Taotronics SoundLiberty 79 new version (IPX8 + "improved sound) compare to MPOW M30 Plus and their older counterparts.
I agree, but decent SBC is very hard to find. IMO what would be perfect is a device with aptX (either HD or non) and AAC. AAC for my iPhone, and aptX for my PC's Bluetooth transmitter.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #23,363 of 62,599
I agree, but decent SBC is very hard to find. IMO what would be perfect is a device with aptX (either HD or non) and AAC. AAC for my iPhone, and aptX for my PC's Bluetooth transmitter.

Yes and no. Windows will do decent SBC and lots of sets allow you to use the highest settings available on windows (SBC Bitpool 53). Samsung just sets a lower maximum value which caps the max bitrate. The odd thing is that none of their windows products even has their Scalable Codec so you're always screwed on Windows (no AAC). So even if PCs had great SBC implementation (Dual Channel and high Bitpool), Samsung's devices wouldn't let you use that capability.

Even Gen 1 airpods have maximum SBC Bitpool of 250!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #23,364 of 62,599
This addiction never stops. Love these in matte black. Always hated the fingerprint magnet chrome case.
IMG_3069.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #23,365 of 62,599
Although I wouldn't recommend the KZ S2's to just anyone, or everyone, I'm really enjoying them the more I use them.

The KZ S2's are persnickety in their BT usage - even stable usage gets "glitches" at times - but if you don't panic you can ride it out and they'll "come back", or require 8 second hold the touch on both to reset and re-bind to my device - required less and less often btw.

The sound is worth it. Turning on "loudness equalization" in Windows for the KZ S2 device makes them bloom and gives a little more headroom to their maximum usable volume range.

I've used them for hours at home to be able to walk around and interact with others, also used them mobile while on brief shopping trips and while waiting for services, and having 2 pair lets me bridge the gap on long excursions - I really recommend having 2 or more of the same TWS for coverage on longer time periods, and once they recharge in their cases you can loop back and reuse them. 3 is a good number, perhaps safer than 2. I may get another S2.

Oddly KZ can't provide additional memory foam eartips, they sent me dimensions and images but say they can't give me the foam tip manufacturer info or how to get more of them, and afaik no more can be bought from KZ. Do any of you know where to get them? :)

Update: Thanks to head-fi members for info on tracking down these eartips :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/post-15735052
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...e-we-there-yet.861024/page-1564#post-15735493

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #23,367 of 62,599
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #23,370 of 62,599
Where can I find the 30% off? :xf_eek:

I think they are wrong. I see 30% off Mclaren store promo code but it is sent to you when your product ships. So that would mean the next purchase not 30% off the T5 II purchase.
Of course T5 first edition was not that hot so not sure many fully wireless thread subscribers would buy the new one pre-order/blind. Need to prove they made real improvements first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back