Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #23,326 of 62,550
I'm still on the fence as well. The price just dropped $10 and I have another $10 coupon from Samsung lying around somewhere so I may go for it. Anyone use it with LG phones? Have some V60s on the way that will probably replace my S9 so I wont have access to the Samsung scalable codec. I really just want it for calls and ambient mode.

I got the Buds+ when they first came out and tried them for a week with an LG V50. I thought the ambient mode was excellent and they were fine for phone calls. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed with the sound quality. I could not get them to where I liked them regardless of the EQ settings. Maybe the wavelet app would help. I'm not sure if the codec was responsible for my disappointment, if I got a bad batch, or if it is just personal taste. So many factors with these things. My other frustration with them was that none of my foam tips would fit in the case.

I replaced them with master and dynamic mw07+ and have not looked back since. I love the sound quality and they are excellent for phone calls. However, the ambient mode is not as good. It's okay for my purposes but the buds+ are pretty cool with the four different volume settings, one of which basically turns them into hearing aids.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #23,327 of 62,550
I have given up on the SP800N ... I had the same kinda hassle 2 years ago with the SP700N! Amazon was jerking around the rls date and I ended up buying at some B&M and kinda regretted not having the easy amazon return ...

So Amazon FR are now saying "01 August 2020 - 05 September 2020" for the delivery of the SP800N, what a joke !

In better news I sent back the MTW2 as I just could not justify their 299€ price given my other goto TWEs (SiFi II, EchoBuds and L2Ps) even though they're probably the first TWE that ticks all the boxes...at 199€ maybe ! To have something to look forward to I ordered the Tozo NC9 that should reach me on Friday and I promise I'll get to the bottom of this control option confusion. Now if they don't have ANC ON/Transparency/ANC OFF cycling like the Decebel20 reviewed by Bartig I don't think I'll be able to keep them as ANC OFF is a must when riding a bike (where wearing TWEs is safe of course).

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #23,328 of 62,550
I got the Buds+ when they first came out and tried them for a week with an LG V50. I thought the ambient mode was excellent and they were fine for phone calls. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed with the sound quality. I could not get them to where I liked them regardless of the EQ settings. Maybe the wavelet app would help. I'm not sure if the codec was responsible for my disappointment, if I got a bad batch, or if it is just personal taste. So many factors with these things. My other frustration with them was that none of my foam tips would fit in the case.

I replaced them with master and dynamic mw07+ and have not looked back since. I love the sound quality and they are excellent for phone calls. However, the ambient mode is not as good. It's okay for my purposes but the buds+ are pretty cool with the four different volume settings, one of which basically turns them into hearing aids.
Completely agree on the MW07 Plus. I would describe the sound as "legit". Even SBC performance with an iPhone blows away most other TWS'.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #23,329 of 62,550
You can already find them for $120 or less new on eBay. Just get a 'US' version for samsung warranty reasons.
I know, but considering that I am not going out as much right now :), having a pair of TWS isn't so important - I can wait a month or two. The Buds + tick all of the boxes, except no aptX, and no ANC, so I am hoping the new Buds are perfect for me.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #23,330 of 62,550
Just received Earfun Air from Earfun. They are consistent in making well rounders that you can give as gifts with decent instruction and straightforward interfaces that are well built from case to cable, the long battery life, auto-pause on remove, and ipx7 helps as well. The sound signature is forgiving with some roll off on both ends, on the warm side without being boomy, perhaps the mids are a touch recessed or sound as much without the sub-bass to support some timbres. I'll write a more detailed review later. The microphone is really outstanding, I was able to make a clear recording with my head adjacent to the window-ac rumbling and blowing air at my face at the same time. All around pretty good without being exceptional on the sound front.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #23,332 of 62,550
You can already find them for $120 or less new on eBay. Just get a 'US' version for samsung warranty reasons.

I'd avoid the L2P's. Mids are recessed IMO. Granted they can be EQ'ed. Battery life barely made what is average now (4-4.5hrs) on my pair, although 8 hours is claimed (may require Qualcomm TWS+).

I'd add the Air-XR's to the list (despite no app). They're my current favorites. Unsure on call quality, I've only used them for calls maybe twice. They have micro usb but I got the Qi version, so I wirelessly charge them.

I get around 6-7 hours out of my LP2s with an iPhone ..

love the way they sound too

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #23,333 of 62,550
I took my APP to the Apple Store today because at first I started to hear a clicking in the left and then right in ANC mode, that might have been the internal microphone picking up my heart-beat pounding in my ear and feeding it back to me. Then it would start clicking with other kinds of movement.

But then they got so bad that anytime I talked with transparency mode on that both earpieces would feed my voice back into the earpiece with it sounding like I was a robot, or talking through a Kazoo or had a piece of tinfoil stretched over a comb in front of my mouth (I'm dating myself there). I called Apple and they sent me a link to get an appointment, but I could not make an AirPods Pro appointment via the support app, so I went in.

This was my first trip out of the house to go to a store in ages, armed N95 mask, Clorox wipes, and sanitizer - all things that I've kept around for ages due to my lung disease. I know, stupid to leave the house. I waited 3 hours for my appointment, much of it outside with 95 degree heat and a non-functioning left lung, trying to suck air thru a mask; so I had to go to Best Buy and the grocery store to get out of the heat while trying to avoid getting CoVid-19 in those places.

Once I got in I explained everything and mentioned the threads on macrumors.com, and demonstrated that the issue didn't happen with their demo set + my tips. When I got the robot voice hear-thru audio one time it triggered my ASMR reflex and made me shiver and yank them out of my ears in front of them (goosebumps).

The "Genius" admitted it sounded (no pun intended) like both sides were bad, but he tried to tell me that a single bad one could make both act up, and since the left was worse that we should try replacing that first. He gave me a story about how they treat each ear earpiece plus the case as 3 separate pieces, and they can only do ONE exchange at a time. They wanted to replace just the left earpiece and I wasn't having it. With the left earpiece out and on the table, and the music paused, the right one still acted up while I was there.

I told them I'm too high risk to do this all over again, that I live on the farthest other end of town, and I'm going out of state next week for my daughter's birthday (she is self isolating too), and that I simply could not return in the next day or two and go through all of this over again and be exposed more, just to get the other earpiece replaced (I was happy to keep my battery pack). I kindly asked for the manager.

He went to get her but came back 5 minutes later with a new sealed AirPods and no manager, and he did a "late exchange" for the entire thing, including another 2 years of Apple Care. I had brought in my box, unused charge cable, and unused tips, of which they kept all but the tips that I had actually used and gave me a new sealed package with a new 2 yr apple care warranty!

I thanked them profusely and told everyone to stay safe and went home very happy.

At the store they were acting fine, but they were still on firmware 2D15. I knew that when I put them in the case and charged the case that it will likely update to 2D27, and hoped that would not cause any new issues. But my old ones on 2D27 sounded a little warmer and fuller, more solid and enjoyable. I was still worried that I didn't have the "clicking" and the "buzzing/rattle" until after 2D27 was applied, but peep on the forums were sure it was not the firmware.

IMPRESSIONS: The background clicking in ANC mode is totally gone with the new set, and so is the rattle with talking while in transparency mode. Also, they did update to 2D27 and I do think that the bass increased again, like it did when my first set updated recently (my first set was from Nov 2019). I also think that the ANC got quieter with 2D27.

I actually feel the ANC "suck" again, felt best after dropping from transparency mode to passive noise blocking and then dropping down again to ANC. I can tell I have a great seal and passive isolation with the active modes off, and then when I go to ANC mode from there the vacuum sensation is real, like it was when I received my first pair last November.

With 2D27 the sound is definitely better with the active modes off, where before it was more bland and basic sounding with just passive noise mode and now they seem more powerful and punchy without having to use transparency or ANC mode to get that EQ-like punch. It still improves a little with the active modes turned on.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #23,334 of 62,550
To have something to look forward to I ordered the Tozo NC9 that should reach me on Friday and I promise I'll get to the bottom of this control option confusion. Now if they don't have ANC ON/Transparency/ANC OFF cycling like the Decebel20 reviewed by Bartig I don't think I'll be able to keep them as ANC OFF is a must when riding a bike (where wearing TWEs is safe of course).
I am still waiting for Deal of the Day or 20% off ... but i know that before the end of the month I will want to get my grubby hands on those Tozo as well ...

Unrelated side note, I used my Bose SSF for my run this morning, they are now .. 1.5 years old? Battery reminder kicked in at 3h20min, just when I was about to finish today's route :D Not bad

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #23,335 of 62,550
Wow a 3h20 run, impressive, especially with these temperatures ! I'll report back on the NC9 after I get them tomorrow but the bewildering lack of an "ANC OFF" toggle makes me think I won't be keeping them for very long...how silly of Tozo to have removed that option when the 20Decebel version has it !

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #23,336 of 62,550
Toothfairy is simply making nice clothes around something that is in the Mac already. Developers (or you) can get for free the same thing with Bluetooth Explorer which is an Apple utility for testing Bluetooth that is developer friendly. What they are both doing is Tool/Audio Option dialog, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I find the price of Toothfairy fair for what it is, developers responsive and if it doesn't work then since it is on Mac App Store you may be able to ask Apple for your money back if it doesn't work.
It didn't work as I got to the bottom of the issue, the Buds+ aren’t compatible with 2015 edition of Mac Books.

Tested on a 2019 version and works a treat

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #23,337 of 62,550
Wow a 3h20 run, impressive, especially with these temperatures ! I'll report back on the NC9 after I get them tomorrow but the bewildering lack of an "ANC OFF" toggle makes me think I won't be keeping them for very long...how silly of Tozo to have removed that option when the 20Decebel version has it !
That does sound very silly ... not that I'd be actually using it much without ANC, but I want to be able to turn on / off to evaluate its effectiveness ...
Day started with 15˚C, which was awesome for running :) Only get to do these kinds of runs in summer when I am in GER .. or winter in JPN.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #23,338 of 62,550
Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #23,340 of 62,550
Been listening to the Sony WF-1000xm3. Way better than i was expecting from some of the negative comments. Mid-range appears slightly forward and notes have some weight.

I dont find these bassy at all. Surprised to see people finding them as such. There is some rumble but i am also eq'd several dBs. Compared to something like the L2 and L2Ps - these are bass light. Some rumble. ANC on seems to add some warmth. Am i crazy?

Treble might sound better than Nuarl N6 but only slightly. N6 has an airier and more upfront presentation.

They seem a bit bright and get shouty at higher volumes. Perhaps, that could be the knock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back