Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #19,141 of 62,435
Recieved my Onyx Neo a few days ago, good design, very comfortable, surprisingly good sound, but absolutly stupid SW! Works normaly only with PC or phone, with other devices (some players or TV's) which not have headset (calling) profile switches off after 4 minutes! Sadly, because I bought them mainly for my Shanling M0 :frowning2: I don't know if this is normal, but when I connect one earpiece to BT 4.x source, then this side discharges faster and will turn off after 3 hours due to low battery. However, the other side still has 60%, so if I reconnect them after aprox 2-2,5 hours (at 40%) to the other earpiece they will play together for more than 4.5 hours, which is incredible at such a size and moreover, charging in case is really very fast. Stock eartips are useless, but with many other standard tips (smaller than I normally use) they go deeper and hold better and more secure in my ears. Fortunately, there is enough space in the charging case and can be loaded without problem. Onyx Neo is no longer blinking while listening and will not bother you in the dark. Sensor sensitivity and response are too bad, but over time one gets used to it. I definitely do not miss the mechanical buttons and even if the control scheme is not ideal for me, it's better than it was on Spunky Beat.
I was a little skeptical about the sound from 6 mm DD, but it is quite well balanced. Although a bit simplified and without extra detail, but listening with non stock eartips is nice and nowhere does not matter much. Yes, sub bass is missing completely, bass don't go too deep, but they has good speed, they are well textured and controlled, their amount is close to ideal for me. Mids are a bit recessed, the details are rather average, but the vocals sound pretty good. Considering what this TWS are for, I don't see a big problem there. I would commend Tronsmart for the high frequencies, the resolution is not as good as from the BA, but it sounds natural, without metalic aftertaste. Overall, the sound really went well, it is not perfect, but considering the price I have nothing to reproach. It reminds me the Sony MH755 without sub bass and foam filters inside, maybe Onyx Neo are little bit brighter than someone likes, but it suits me so much. They might have been ideal for traveling if they weren't that stupid shutdown problem when connected to some DAP's.
onyx_neo_vs_mh755.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #19,142 of 62,435
Great review, Scarbir! A couple questions for you. Did you burn in the T1x and are you using it on Bass EQ setting or Default? The T1x is one of the brighter yet full bodied TWS' I've heard. If the TWS6 makes it sound warm, how would you describe the Mpow T5/M5 or SSK/Anbes 359. I looked at your reviews to see how you described them, but the description was a bit different. The NUARL N6 is kind of a Anomaly, it's warmer than the T1x yet very detailed with excellent detail and clarity, but it's not quite as full as the T1x probably due to the missing sub-bass. Listening to the M5's today, i'd say they sound significantly warmer than the t1x and something like the 1more stylish would be very warm even darker sounding. however the Hieha B6 (the clone of the Whizzer B6) was just straight up Dark and pretty much muddy and unenjoyable to listen to.
What do you mean, the description is a bit different? :)

The Edifier TWS6, while brilliant, does sound a bit colder than most TWS, including the Fiil T1X indeed - which is already quite natural on the unequalized setting. I haven’t done any white noise/ pink noise ‘burning in’, but have listened to them for quuuuite a lot of hours now. :)

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #19,143 of 62,435
Oh BTW for anyone who might not know. The QCY QS2s are also now updated with dual-channel Bluetooth meaning that the annoying master/slave configuration is now gone for good in the new units they're shipping.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I had a new pair that I ordered for my girlfriend as she liked mine and indeed they have a different sound upon connection and both sides connect straight to the phone...

Great feature but... the QC on the drivers seems worse. While doing my usual frequency sweeping test on my old pair I have a cleaner sound on the sub-bass and even bass region without too much noticeable rattling noise, whereas on the new pair I get a more annoying parasitic noise while the driver is pushing its limits on the lower end...

During music this is not so apparent, so I would say for the money they are still good options, with the advantage of having now the dual pairing mode.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #19,144 of 62,435
the QC on the drivers seems worse.

At first glance, the build quality of the new one seemed better to me than the old variant. The lid of the case seems sturdier on the new ones.

whereas on the new pair I get a more annoying parasitic noise while the driver is pushing its limits on the lower end

I haven't noticed anything like that, but I anyway didn't listen to the old vs new side-by-side. Should do that and see. Care to share in which specific tracks you noticed this problem so I can listen on both old and new units and check. Disappointing if that's the case, though.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #19,145 of 62,435
Anyone else have an N6 pro that literally takes 30 seconds to connect to the iphone? Man, they delay is ridiculous. I've reset them a bunch of times but there's some kind of lag and I don't know why.
Don't have an iphone, but my N6 Pro power up as soon as i open the case and are already connected when i put them in my ears. About as instantaneous as it gets.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #19,146 of 62,435
Don't have an iphone, but my N6 Pro power up as soon as i open the case and are already connected when i put them in my ears. About as instantaneous as it gets.
Along these lines, anyone have a battery drain issue with them? Just pulled mine out after a week to find the case and buds were dead. Annoying.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #19,147 of 62,435
There is an option to add a triple tap for volume up and down. Firmware 111.
I am also running FW 111 on the Android app but do not see this option under the 3 tap menu. Strange!

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #19,148 of 62,435
Along these lines, anyone have a battery drain issue with them? Just pulled mine out after a week to find the case and buds were dead. Annoying.

I’m not having drain but I do find that the case does a bad job of telling you when it’s low or out of battery. Also, when the case is out of battery, the earbuds just stay connected to Bluetooth when you put them back in the case, which is to be expected but a bit annoying and quirky.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #19,149 of 62,435
Mifo o7 in da house! Before I forget, just wanted to say that they measure the same for tips as the 1Tx: 5mm at the max, 4mm inner ring.

I'm listening with the out of the box silicone tips and will test with the others mentioned earlier tomorrow when I get them. (1-day shipping, thank you Amazon!)

I need to A/B test this, but here's my first impression...

By comparison, these feel like they aren't even in my ears. Very lightweight, and somehow stable, even without wings. For a while I was shaking my head around trying to see if I could dislodge them, because it just seemed weird that they were as stable as they were while feeling like they were just sitting there chilling, weightless. With the 1Tx, I couldn't even attempt to eat or chew gum with them (which is why I also want to try other tips with them), but I get very minimal feedback when I open my mouth, move my jaw, etc. Another thing I just tested was walking. Again, the 1Tx created a not-so-nice THUMP with every step. Listening to music at a normal volume, I heard nothing when I walked. I then turned it down well below what I'd normally listen at, and still heard no thump or feedback. Even when i take a deep breath, I'm not getting any noticeable feedback.

Listening to music, I'd put these in a studio monitor category. If I summed it up so far, I'd say Clarity & Balance.

I'm not feeling as though anything is muted, nor is any range out of balance or bleeding into another range that it isn't supposed to. That said, the bass is reserved and tight. This is the kind of sound I like, I don't like boomy bass unless the song demands it...and if the song demands it, the bass responds accordingly. Just to test that theory, I am listening to "A Final Hit" from Leftfield. This has some low frequencies that just rumble in the background. I don't feel like the bass is hiding from this song, but it isn't thumping either. If I was able to tune this a bit, I might bump the bass just a TAD, but then again don't really feel like it's needed and I feel as though I'm listening to the songs as they were recorded, if you know what I mean.

Jumping over to assess the highs...Listening to Flyleaf's Thread now...their lead singer has some exceptional heights and the guitar and cymbals are up there to match her. I feel like this might be a tad hot. If burn-in is a thing, I suspect these might need some time with some pink noise. That isn't to say they aren't good to listen to now, just pondering how these may improve.

I was pondering what song might test the ranges, and reminded myself of a song from Grimes called "Dream Fortress". It is pushing the limits of highs and lows, and feels like another good song to test with. Again, I'm feeling as though these are balanced across the spectrum. Pretty impressive.

Jumping over to some Florence + the Machine to evaluate the sound stage a bit. I think I could get lost in the sound...I've loving it.

Ok, I analyzed it a lot more than I intended straight out of the box, but the more I listened the more I already love them. I'm going to go workout now and see how well they stay in place during that kind of activity. Given their IP67 rating, I'm excited to see how well they hold in place since they are not going to have an issue with water/sweat. :)

BTW...The case is insanely small and VERY well made. Quality.

PS: The 1Tx will be returned after I test them with the tips I ordered...They will never sound this good. I didn't think this sound was possible in a TWS.
Nice review. The assessments on Amazon criticize the lack of bass. Maybe they had fit issues, but what wired IEM would you compare the sound signature to?

Edit: you answered later, more of reference sound from Mifo 07. I really enjoy the T1X (burned in 50 hours with app) on Bass Eq profile, so the 07 would probably not be my cup of tea. Seeking to go in the $100-$150 range, maybe N6 is the better leap for me.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #19,150 of 62,435
i've actually started making it a point to check every twe for this lately. i got my N6 Pro 2.5 weeks ago, i used them for 3-4 days, let them sit exactly a week, and no battery drain.
For anyone who might be interested, Amazon is offering their 90 day trial of amazon music HD again.
i held out last time hoping for a longer trial for siber monday, but never saw one.
started my trial a few hours ago, and i am not a fan of the app, but seems like pretty good music selection and i do notice a difference when A Bing tracks with it vs Spotify.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #19,152 of 62,435
At first glance, the build quality of the new one seemed better to me than the old variant. The lid of the case seems sturdier on the new ones.

I haven't noticed anything like that, but I anyway didn't listen to the old vs new side-by-side. Should do that and see. Care to share in which specific tracks you noticed this problem so I can listen on both old and new units and check. Disappointing if that's the case, though.

Try the “Bass Shaker” test on the “Quality” section: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Sometimes we discuss earbud quality purely by listening, but these tests are actually where we hear their faults or virtues in a more scientific and accurate way...

For instance if I try the same test with the Bomaker Sifi (when connected with APTX) or the FIIL T1X, both equipped with higher quality drivers and with these I don’t hear any extra noise, just a pure clean tone.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #19,153 of 62,435
I am also running FW 111 on the Android app but do not see this option under the 3 tap menu. Strange!
I just read in the Amazon description that volume control is iOS only. Weird. I’d email Libratone and ask why.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #19,154 of 62,435
So my left N6 pro won’t turn on. Completely dead. Anyone aware of any trouble shooting? Is there a hard reset option?
Pretty sure @d3myz had that same issue with his a few pages back.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #19,155 of 62,435
Well something is very wrong with my left N6 pro. In addition to not turning on, it is extremely warm to the touch after being in the charging case. Feeling like a Samsung note 7 moment could be coming if I keep trying to charge them. Back to amazon they go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back