Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #13,246 of 62,573
I think they are the best thing since the internet... :p
What app? I have an iPhone and use Apple Music... read that Lypertek is releasing an app, but are there another app I can use, or is it just for Android?
it's called HighStereo HighAmp, they don't work for streaming music, like spotify and Apple Music, but they have streaming radio and I believe you can play files from a network folder or other online sources like one drive and dropbox etc.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #13,247 of 62,573
Does Whizzer B6 differ in tuning from other B6 (ie. Mezone)? There seem to be some great deals on Aliexpress for the unbranded versions....

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #13,248 of 62,573
congrats to 10K posts!!!

those buds had been on my radar since summer and I thought I had asked about them here and some responses were not favorable... but this is so long ago. Maybe I was just waiting for a better price and then forgot about them.

Thanks! Although I guess it shows a combination of having no life plus audiophile obsession lol

As far as those buds, I’ll see what price they go to during 11.11. If they’re cheap enough, I’ll be willing to try them out. As long as my expectation is that they’ll be crap, then I won’t be disappointed right?

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #13,249 of 62,573
Jim's Review Room just posted a review of the Creative Outlier Air (the baby brother of the Creative Outlier Gold) and in short, it seems to be the best value for money out there.

Pluses:
+ 8-10 hrs of battery life.
+ small profile in your ear compared other earbuds
+ some of the best bass in the wireless earbud world
+ clear sound with rolled off highs
+ less than $100 and better than many options costing 3x as much
+ compact case

Minuses:
- physical buttons require heavier pressure than desireable
- good sound but slightly cleaner available with higher end wireless earbuds
- not flashy enough for the fashion conscious

I owned the Creative Outlier Air for about 3 weeks. The sound was good and fit was decent although rather large, but the deal-breaker for me was the terrible connectivity when outside. The constant dropping of the Bluetooth reception happened regardless of the source I was using. Creative accepted the return without any hassle.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #13,251 of 62,573
I live in the Samsung ecosystem (as opposed to Apple) and would like to make 2 points related to that:

1. Not sure if this is real, or a result of expectation bias, but I've found that, all considered, among my TW collection, those that use aptx tend to sound better than those using AAC. This would be consistent with what I've read here that AAC is not implemented as well in Android as it is in Apple products. So, going forward, I'm not considering buying anything that doesn't support aptx. This eliminates the wf-1000xm3 for example, which supports SBC and AAC but not APTX. Would be interested if others could confirm or refute my hypothesis here.

2. I've discovered that I can assign the music app (really, just a controller) on my Galaxy watch to the double press function of one of the buttons, and therefore bring it up quite quickly and easily. Once there, I can control the volume of the music player on my phone which is quite handy for those TWE that don't have integrated volume control (like YOU, House of Marley Liberate Air). I suspect this can be accomplished with other smart watch/phone combos as well. Makes it easier than grabbing the phone from my pocket or wherever if I'm in the middle of something. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Confirmed. I have several TWS' and Headphones that support both AAC and aptX, so when toggling between AAC and aptX on Android, there is a noticeable difference when A/B the same source material. Obviously, the better the source is and the TWS/Headphones are, the clearer the picture will be. This was a blind test, as I had someone else toggle back and forth while I was in critical discernment mode. :p

i also hear small but noticable differences between codecs (SBC, AAC, APTX, and LDAC). the differences are not to the point of bugging me about which codecs to use, but it is there.
I've read somewhere that the difference is not because of the data or quality differences between the codecs, but because of the DAC and amp inside it programmed differently when handling different codecs. I'll post it here when i can find it again.

so one could argue: there's no difference between codecs! you're all delusional!
maybe technically they're right, but all in all, the outputs of the sound because of how the circuits handles them are still different... so there :dt880smile:

Galaxy buds recertified on best buy for 84.99. Hmmmm. Do I need these? Anyone with them care to comment? Crinnacle thought very highly of the sq

i love the Galaxy buds. the overall package is great for me: clean and nice base sound with totally usable EQ presets, nice ambient mode and touch control implementation. I'm using it with a Samsung Note 8 with the apps (crucial in my opinion) installed though .. so i don't know how the overall use experience would be with non Samsung phones.
one thing that i really dislike about it is phone call quality. i have several TWS and BT20 combos already, and it's safe to say the Galaxy Bud's mic is the worst of all of them for phone calls.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #13,252 of 62,573
Can you post a copy of the case when you get a chance, and I'll look forward to your overall impressions. It looks very similar to those Earin TWS buds, at least in form factor, but then again there are a bunch of buds out there that are similar.
The case comparison with Anbes 359 and Galaxy buds cases.

The case is tiny.
Awzc2SZ.jpg

And flatter.
n44L8OS.jpg

The buds themselves are pretty low profile when in my ears, about the same as the Galaxy buds. The buttons have just the right tactile feedback, doesn't require much force to press and isn't too soft to press accidentally as well. The buds themselves are smooth all around without any charging contact points like other tws which makes it comfortable to wear. I personally find some bud's charging points can cause soreness in the ear. The case has a single pogo pin which makes contact with the wire mesh on the nozzle. Clever design. Fit wise, I can see why many reviewers say the fit can be tricky. The buds are bullet shaped and may not fit all ears. The Melomania fits in my ears with the large tips. Speaking of tips, the nozzle is quite wide, so the tips are quite proprietary too, I have not seen tips which has such a wide bore. The wide nozzle does not cause any discomfort in my ears, in fact I fell asleep while listening to them in bed.

The sound is overall warm I would say, highs and mids are not emphasized. Mid bass is quite abundant which gives it a warm signature and a natural quality to voices. As the highs and mids are not over emphasized and combined with the warm mid bass, it may come across as veiled or muddy on initial listening. I would say the sound is quite relaxing as there's little sparkly highs or booming bass to get into your head. Soundstage is normal for iems, not narrow nor ultra spacious.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #13,253 of 62,573
i love the Galaxy buds. the overall package is great for me: clean and nice base sound with totally usable EQ presets, nice ambient mode and touch control implementation. I'm using it with a Samsung Note 8 with the apps (crucial in my opinion) installed though .. so i don't know how the overall use experience would be with non Samsung phones.
one thing that i really dislike about it is phone call quality. i have several TWS and BT20 combos already, and it's safe to say the Galaxy Bud's mic is the worst of all of them for phone calls.

Thanks for the input. My collection is getting a little out of hand but ... I do have a note 10 so it seems we were made for each other. Does the sq hang with your bt20 sets?

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #13,254 of 62,573
It could very well be the best mullet, like, ever.

In the interest of staying "on thread", recommend listening to this with Anbes 359 or better. :p

Damn you! I got sucked into an Icehouse hole this afternoon because of your post! Next thing I know, I'm listening to a reggae version of that song and Crazy. Did you know John Oates co-wrote Electric Blue? :L3000:

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #13,255 of 62,573
Thanks for the input. My collection is getting a little out of hand but ... I do have a note 10 so it seems we were made for each other. Does the sq hang with your bt20 sets?

the bass and mids is good, mids especially if you like those harman curve mid treble bump. treble is also good, but the highest extention have that digital tinge to it. clean, non grainy, non sibilant, but digital sounding. for outside uses it's not really noticable. it's not a bad treble though, just pointing it out my observations.
in some instances (like really loud places with low rumble sounds) i prefer the G buds to my BT20S + T2 Pro..but a toss up with BT20S +Kanas, because they share similar sound characteristics

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #13,256 of 62,573
Thanks! Although I guess it shows a combination of having no life plus audiophile obsession lol

As far as those buds, I’ll see what price they go to during 11.11. If they’re cheap enough, I’ll be willing to try them out. As long as my expectation is that they’ll be crap, then I won’t be disappointed right?
Congrats! Slater!:clap:

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #13,257 of 62,573
soundcore liberty pro 2 quick out of box impressions.
whoa. I like what I'm hearing so far. easily blows away the previous zolo liberty pro, though that's not very hard to do as most current chi-fi are better than those now. hearing a bit of white noise during quiet sections of tracks. I've been mostly using anbes359 and mpow t5 so compared to those...heavier bass, clearer voices, treble seems turned up a notch. for the special former zolo lpro backer price discount at $79, I'm quite satisfied after 30mins of listening. will let this break in a bit before adding more notes.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #13,258 of 62,573
Yes, it does help. Do you find the same thing between the Lystar and R18s? Battle of the $21 TWS (SSK and Lystar) :)

The Lystar are basically a slightly neutered B530 sound-wise so the same should hold true.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #13,259 of 62,573
Why do I keep eyeing the KZ E10 when I know I'm not wild about the behind-the-ears-hook form factor of my BT20? >->

(Anyone wanna' trade a .75 2-pin TRN Bluetooth cable module for my .75 2-pin BT20? :p Barely used, works great! Basically any of the four sorts will do, they all have AptX far's I know, though nominal pref for BT3S for battery life... Then I could stick my CCA C10 on and have basically the same effect but without battery modules pinching my ears and fighting for dominance with my glasses. :nerd:)

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #13,260 of 62,573
DB6546CC-63F9-461D-A37E-0DEEA4D37F11.jpeg

Soooo, I finally got to listen to both(!), the DD and the BA versions of the new Shanling TWS.
And TL;DR: if you already have the Mifo O5 (BA) you might end up not buying, like me.

Both of them came across as rather bright, and in the BA model I can somehow appreciate this, but the Mifo adds a bit more fun (bass). Overall my high expectations were not met.
To be fair, these Shanlings were fresh out of box with minimal play time, burn in might change things. I also did not get to play with different ear tips.
Compared to the Mifo, the case feels a bit cheap. But very pocketable and I love the color combos.
Maybe my ears are just too old to acknowledge & cherish the Knowles BA.
I can see how some people might be very happy with the Shanling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back