Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #10,366 of 62,305
First things first: did you remove the plastic covering the charger input on each earbud? If that's still in place, it would explain why they don't charge. The red charging indicators on the case definitely work on mine.

i JUST finished editing my post AFTER I 'discovered' those little contact preservers :wink: ... they were really hard to spot against the red background color!

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #10,369 of 62,305
Hey, I've been a lurker for a while in the thread and lately I've been searching for an alternative to my KZ bluetooth cable driving my IEMs.

Is the KZ T1 really that good of a IEM? I've had bad experiences with them, namely the ZS5's V2 version hitting right when I bought them and the bluetooth cable not delivering apt-X even though it was clearly mentioned in the user manual. So I take their products with a heavy grain of salt.

Back in the thread I read about the Edifier TWS5 which seemed like good alternative, but I couldn't find reviews neither here (maybe I did search incorrectly) and on Google. Since Im not much of a IEM collector, I came here to ask what did you guys think about it.

Also, what about the QCC5000 series of chipsets from qualcomm? Looks like there are no TWS being shipped with them or am I looking in the wrong places?

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #10,371 of 62,305
First things first: did you remove the plastic covering the charger input on each earbud? If that's still in place, it would explain why they don't charge. The red charging indicators on the case definitely work on mine.

As far as I can tell, they turn off automatically when you put the lid on. It also turns on when you remove the lid, but I've noticed that I have to turn them on manually occasionally, probably depends on how deftly you remove the lid, due to the case mechanism.

I did just test, and the buds stayed connected and kept playing in the case. However, turns out my case was out of battery. When I connected it to the charger and tried again, they turned automatically when put in the case.

And yes, I'm really enjoying these for running :)

Can I ask if you've used the microphone at all for calls? I think I'm going to make these my first Truewireless purchase and just wanted to know about mic quality. Thanks!

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #10,372 of 62,305
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10,375 of 62,305
Hey, I've been a lurker for a while in the thread and lately I've been searching for an alternative to my KZ bluetooth cable driving my IEMs.

Is the KZ T1 really that good of a IEM? I've had bad experiences with them, namely the ZS5's V2 version hitting right when I bought them and the bluetooth cable not delivering apt-X even though it was clearly mentioned in the user manual. So I take their products with a heavy grain of salt.

Back in the thread I read about the Edifier TWS5 which seemed like good alternative, but I couldn't find reviews neither here (maybe I did search incorrectly) and on Google. Since Im not much of a IEM collector, I came here to ask what did you guys think about it.

Also, what about the QCC5000 series of chipsets from qualcomm? Looks like there are no TWS being shipped with them or am I looking in the wrong places?

You really shouldnt judge KZ by the ZS5 v2 and their bluetooth adapters... I dont like any of them.

The T1 soumds great, the worst problem being the jumpy volume.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #10,376 of 62,305
You really shouldnt judge KZ by the ZS5 v2 and their bluetooth adapters... I dont like any of them.

The T1 soumds great, the worst problem being the jumpy volume.

Hey, thanks for the answer.

Indeed, they do have nice products, I had a ATE as a cheap IEM for a while and they were quite nice for the price. My problem with them is in a more ethical point of view.

I bought the ZS5 when there was only V1 and quietly they released V2 which unluckily was what I got and which was clearly a worse product without any consideration of costumers looking for the popular IEM that was V1.

The bluetooth cable was also quite unethical since it was clearly labeled as Aptx and while there were early reports of it not working I trusted the manual and thought it was a minor production problem.

That's why I'm taking their new product with a bit of care and not buying too much into the hype.

But anyways. So far it's been good reports from the T1, thanks for the input!

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #10,377 of 62,305
Funny. Nothing in your description of the Jaybees says ’Jabra killer’ to me. :)
Well for me, it's the fact it has USB type C, Wireless charging which the Jabra doesn't have, but still has an ambient sound mode, which other budget options don't have (any news on price for Mifo O4?). Well it's a shame about the distorted, crackling SBC which is odd because AAC is generally more prone to disconnects and these have been very solid with AAC. If only there was one with AptX as well...

Any recommendations for a USB AAC Bluetooth 5.0 receiver for Windows?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #10,378 of 62,305
UPS brought me this today:

Waiting for it to charge so I can test it. No indication on the packaging if it's the BA version or DD version.

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #10,379 of 62,305
Sooo, I received my Nillkin GO and first impressions are overall positive, but I have a few questions for other owners:
- so far I had to manually turn them on when taking out of the case and also manually turn off before putting back in (otherwise music would keep playing in closed case) ... this could be because the charging case was pretty low on battery? The buds seemed like 70% full according to iOS ...
(just found the hastily discarded manual and it seems to confirm this, no auto-turning on / off ... I can live with that)
- there is no indicator light on the buds themselves that indicate charging? According to manual the buds should glow red ... hmm .. maybe they were still 100% .. but i listened for like 20 minutes ... should recharge ... i do hope they recharge, otherwise I have a problem ...

I love how tiny the case is (see compared to KZ T1 case) .. and that strawberry / coral red is a nice change from all that black.

Even the spare eartips match the color!

The fit is great (with the largest tips) and I can nicely jam them up my earhole :wink: The SQ overall would put them in my above average pile, possibly Tier 2 or even tier 1 (let me double check, did I count them up or down?) .. but that needs further testing ... they are NOT as detailed sparkly as the KZ, but they do have nice bass. With IPX5 they should make for some nice running buds.

Last bit: refreshing to hear a different female voice doing all the alert messages

Edit: me silly goose! Found the problem with the 'non'-charging: A tiny piece of tape/film over the contacts for protection .. which I had seen on many other buds before, but here, because of the color and my failing eyesight I did not see them. Now i get to witness something new as well: There are not only LEDs on the buds to indicate charging in process, but also at the rear of the case. Nice!

give it a few playing time hours, and the treble grain will smoothen out. also for me it works optimally when i put the phone volume at around 80% and adjust the volume to listening level from the unit.

my favorite eartips that I use and think sounds best with them is the tennmak /KZ whirlwind, as it can go quite flush with the nozzle and can still fit in the charging case

20190809_050519-01.jpeg

this still is my current top/favorite TWS, and seeing your red one, now I'm struggling to hold myself back from buying another one :dt880smile:

I'm currently listening to this new song with the Nillkin

as well this last couple of days re-listening their older albums

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #10,380 of 62,305
I've been loving the Nuarl NT01AX's sound for the past few days, but I've found that the Bluetooth connection to my Pixel 3 XL has been less than stellar. The range isn't very good compared to my Air-X, and even when sitting directly in front of me on my desk I'll experience occasional skips or dropouts. They happen often enough to be frustrating, although they're not frequent either. In any case, I'll probably end up returning these as these are the first TW IEMs with Bluetooth 5 that I've had this issue.

FWIW, I found the Spinfit CP100z tips fit great on the Nuarl and provide the best sound. I was able to get some Comply foam tips to work, but they made the sound far too bassy and muddy.

It's a shame about the connection issues. The Nuarl really do sound nice to the point where I prefer them to the Mavin Air-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back