Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 7, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #10,336 of 62,573
Yes, I've linked to that review before :)

BTW, I am still very satisfied, and I'm using them very often. The only minor issue is there are some connection issues. (it's no dealbreaker though)
The range is not as good as some other BT5.0 TWS I've had. It's not bad at all, but they're not the best in class.
Especially with my Apple Watch I can get a few minor dropouts on a walk/jog. (5-10 in an hour? And just when wearing the watch on the left arm)
Sometimes when they lose connection/get droputs using my iPhone X (if I'm some distance away from it) or Apple Watch, they actually can get out of phase when the connection is 100% again.
Strange and quite annoying. I've experienced it with the Anbes/Tiso/QCY (don't remember which) too but not so often.
A few times, the sound on left bud has stopped working when the connection goes bad and get too many/long dropouts. I have to turn it off and on again to get the sound back on.

Is this similar with the "suspected close relative", Mpow T5?
I haven't tried them, but they appear to be very similar with only minor physical alterations. However, I will say that not all "clones" are actually identical clones. Some use the same shell from the same OEM/ODM, but use different internals, which is akin to selecting different upgrades/options on the same make/model of a car. Some may use the Realtek SoC, while others will prefer the more costly, but superior Qualcomm SoC, yet the physical appearance is similar. Price aside, the MPOW T5 is very good as a TWS, but when you factor in price, it's probably the best all-around performer in the range.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #10,337 of 62,573
I've been using some low-profile tips, I think the ones that came with my Sabbat E12. They fit nicely and make the T5 stick out less.

Would you happen to know where to find some like that? I don't see any on Amazon and google pretty much just gives results that are reviews of different kinds of earbuds. I've got M Spiral Dots on them know now but they almost go TOO deep. They sound great though!

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #10,338 of 62,573
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #10,339 of 62,573
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #10,340 of 62,573
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #10,341 of 62,573
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #10,342 of 62,573
Got my KZ T1 here today in the US. Going to hold off on sq impressions until I’ve had more time with them. Was listening to my edition xx immediately before popping them in and that’s just not a fair fight.

Quality seems decent. Fit is very comfortable. The volume issue is real. Even with my iPhone slider it goes from too quiet to too loud. Nothing in the middle. Does anyone have a solution for this? Seems hard to have been overlooked.

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #10,343 of 62,573
Looking fwd to possibly getting my Nillkin Go today. Ordered on Aug 1, according to tracking they arrived in Sri Lanka already on Aug 6 and left 'inward office' after just 2h ... did not show up at wife's office yesterday .. so .. today? That would still be crazy fast, bit over a week. (and yes, I ordered that funky strawberry red color ... just to mix things up)

gonillkin.jpg

My fear is now that after the KZ T1 everything pales in comparison.

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #10,346 of 62,573
I have no problem when adjusting volume manually on iPhone ... only when I triple tap on the bud directly it seems to have fewer steps between the levels
Weird. My slider is about about 65 percent and it’s quiet. Small changes to the slider do nothing and then eventually at about 80 percent it gets really loud.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #10,348 of 62,573
Ended up modding 1 pair of my BT20S' after damaging them yesterday.

Well, managed to kill the sound out of one of my BT20S last night while rotating the connector around, as I had done on my old pair of BT20. I did this for use with mmcx earbuds and possibly IEM's like a Nicehck DT100, mmcx modded sony mh755 &/or moondrop crescent.

Old BT20:

Since I knew it was just the wire in the ear hooks that was damaged, I decided I'd try my hand at modding them to have a straight MMCX connector with soft ear hooks.

During dissassembly I found out they use a relatively strong spring steel wire in the ear hook and this is why it's so hard to re-form/shape. I would work them with my fingers back and forth, until in the shape I wanted. Originally I applied light heat from my temp adjustable heat gun (when doing the BT20) but I now know that was unnecessary.

Internals of the right ear hook, R+, R- & spring steel wire:

The earbuds I wanted to twist the MMCX connector orientation for, were already on the cable I ended up using as the donor/sacrifice for the mod (plus I have a brand new spare of that same cable). After a bit of time modding them, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

I kind of wish the MMCX version came this way, as that is how the original pictures of the BT20 looked.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #10,349 of 62,573
Some odd quirks about the Firefly Pro:
Directly facing the sun outdoors, the ambient sound mic feed of the right bud abruptly cuts off with a clunking sound inside the bud, and immediately resumes when I move around. Passive isolation with the default tips wasn't the best at a coffee shop - could still clearly hear coffee machines and people talking. With music playing, they sound fine, remains tight and punchy in these situations while Jabra 65t sounds almost non-existent on a train.
The left button seems more clickable than the right one. There is volume control, but pushing volume up too short will cause the music to pause as well. Holding too long and the volume just keeps going.
SBC seems decent in sound, but is also more prone to some distortion and crackling. Then again, this might be a fault of my Zenbook pro, as even Jabra 65t is showing failing connection recently. EDIT: It is happening with my Note 9 as well. These need AAC to sound good without any distortion!

You can use either bud in mono mode, but only the left bud can be used to activate ambient sound, while triple-tapping the right bud will trigger Google Assistant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back