Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #10,051 of 62,136
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #10,052 of 62,136
Hmmm... to hear that someone finds the Mavin Air-X "bright" is a surprise to me. I can't stand a bright or fatiguing sound signature, which is why I've had bad experiences with a lot of Audio-Technica headphones, ESS Sabre-based DACs, and the Sennheiser HD700 and HD800 more specifically. The Air-X isn't anywhere near bright to my ears. The general sound signature reminds me of the HD650 with more presence and extension, or maybe even the LCD3F (not in terms of technicalities but in terms of raw frequency response). In 6 months of ownership I've never heard a hint of glare or sibilance or brightness (unless it's already in the recording). However, unlike most TW IEMs I've heard, they don't have an obvious dip in the presence region that I can detect, so you get a lot more detail and resolution than you normally get with TW IEMs.

I'm wondering if folks who find them "bright" or "brittle" might be having fit issues finding a good seal, but even that doesn't make sense to me as mine have never sounded brittle at any point. At worst there's occasionally a touch of grain, but I've heard that with all TW IEMs except for maybe the MTW or Bose SSF, both of which do a good job walking the line between resolution and smoothness.

I just did another back-to-back swap with the Sony XM3 and Air-X and the Sony definitely sound more bombastic and forward with a bigger bass thump. The XM3 has a larger soundstage, incidentally. I think the Air-X has slightly better imaging, but the Sony definitely is more enveloping for lack of a better term.

I definitely can't guarantee the Mavin Air-X is the best IEM for everyone's tastes, but for mine they're spot-on.

maybe the way i described it only half way, that people mistook what i rrally meant.
when i tried them i have a good seal, so no problem with fitting.
what i described as bright and brittle is only the treble part. in no means that I'm saying the mavin is lacking bass at all. (I'm sorry for not being clear before). it has ample amount of bass and subbass, it's just the treble when compared to the nuarl is like comparing the grit of the finer sand (nuarl) to a more abrasive and coarser sand (mavin). the mavin will present more detail, just not in a smooth presentation like the nuarl.

both have similar sound quality level, just different presentations, and i happen to enjoy the nuarl more

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #10,053 of 62,136
I love the Nuarl's high's. I feel they are more resolving, articulate, and textured than the Mavin's. They also dare I say make the Mavin's seem a bit muddy and dark. The Nuarl's also have more of a low end presence as well. It is possible from your previous comments that the high's maybe a bit too much for your liking. Someone also posted a while back about the high's of the Nuarl as well and how they loved them (it may have been actorlife).

maybe the way i described it only half way, that people mistook what i rrally meant.
when i tried them i have a good seal, so no problem with fitting.
what i described as bright and brittle is only the treble part. in no means that I'm saying the mavin is lacking bass at all. (I'm sorry for not being clear before). it has ample amount of bass and subbass, it's just the treble when compared to the nuarl is like comparing the grit of the finer sand (nuarl) to a more abrasive and coarser sand (mavin). the mavin will present more detail, just not in a smooth presentation like the nuarl.

both have similar sound quality level, just different presentations, and i happen to enjoy the nuarl more

You are both terrible influences on my wallet. I just ordered a pair of the Nuarl NT01AX off Amazon. Serendipitously, a friend just sent me an Amazon gift card as a thanks for some work I helped him with, so this was clearly meant to happen. Thanks to you both for your impressions. You really piqued my curiosity about the Nuarls.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #10,054 of 62,136
Just listened to my CIEMs that i have been neglecting for quite some time due to School and the new love of wireless. Im really torn between the Klipsch coming out soon and Sony, possibly the Hifiman still. Still leaning towards the Sony's as i liked the 1st iteration but sold solely due to the low volume. I have been assured the the new XM3 is plenty loud.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #10,055 of 62,136
oh boy....just got my WF-1000XM3 they blow the jabras out of the water.

i just played around with all the tips and i would highly recommend people to use the Spiral dot tips. they fit the Sony perfectly with a tight grip. there is a good improvement upon the soundstage, clarity and balance compared to the factory tips.

i find the factory foam tip to have a U shape tuning with the bass deeper but muffled out with less dynamic. i can clearly hear the reverb from the bass on the Spiral dot while its more of a deeper rumble on the foam tips. the treble is much more harsh on the foam too, the Spiral dot has a more natural sparkle up top. With the rubber tip i find there is a restriction on soundstage, everything sounded narrow tube like compared to the Spiral dot. also the fit of the rubber tips seems to push the buds out a bit more so it sticks out further from your ear. extra $5-10 for the spiral dot is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #10,056 of 62,136
I previously owned the awful first-gen WF-1000X and currently use WH-1000XM3 as my daily driver. Yesterday I demoed the WF-1000XM3 at store with my HTC10 as source (AAC codec was used). Only tried it with Apple Music and Youtube......it doesn't support anything beyond AAC anyway.

Stock silicon tips just slipped into my ear-canals and instantly created a great seal. This combined with ANC gave solid noise reduction - much superior to the first-generation in this regard. I would rate the ANC capability of WF-1000XM3 as about half as good as WH-1000XM3.

I then asked the salesperson to turn down the BT speakers nearby in order to check for ANC hiss. The first-gen WF-1000X produced tons of hiss when ANC was on. The new generation still produce audible ANC hiss but the hiss is very faint. Again, huge improvement over previous generation. I would also like to mention that WH-1000XM3 doesn't put out any audible hiss.

SQ wise, to my surprise I prefer WF-1000XM3 over its full-sized big brother. Both models have the modern Sony tuning - boomy loose bass, uneven mid-range & treble. However, WF-1000XM3 has: 1.)noticeably less mid-bass bloom; 2.) less sucked-out lower mids; 3.) more forward vocal-range; 4.) more present, yet smoother treble than WH-1000XM3, resulting in better overall tonal balance. When listened to female vocal centric J-pop such as Aimer, the WF model such present the music with more body and drive than the WH model. When listening to hardcore rock such as Ling Tosite Sigure, bass-line isn't as overwhelming with the WF model compared to the WH model. With jazz such as Herbie Hancock, the brighter treble of WF gave more air than the duller WH.

Will pick up a pair for sure.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #10,057 of 62,136
Aug 2, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #10,058 of 62,136
I then asked the salesperson to turn down the BT speakers nearby in order to check for ANC hiss. The first-gen WF-1000X produced tons of hiss when ANC was on. The new generation still produce audible ANC hiss but the hiss is very faint. Again, huge improvement over previous generation. I would also like to mention that WH-1000XM3 doesn't put out any audible hiss.

i didn't notice any audible hiss on mine with ANC on? tested in my bedroom which was quiet and also the kitchen with the fridge running next to me. ANC was able to block out all of the fridge running noise. then i had the Air fryer running next to me (which is pretty loud) and it didn't block out 100% but i'd say about 80% was blocked off.
with any sort of music playing you'll be able to block out airplane, bus noise easily imo. very impressed with ANC on this.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #10,059 of 62,136
I got a 90 day ban from Best Buy once, but then I just started paying cash and returning at different Best Buy locations, as to not be "made". They never once asked for ID.

I buy so much stuff on Amazon that a few returns here and there never affect me. I did receive a "we're concerned" email once, but that was early on in this hobby and I literally returned like 12 pairs of headphones, in like, 12 days.

Ha! Wow, 12 in 12 days?! I've returned stuff but not like that. I'M a bit concerned.

It's a sad day when you need Amazon more than they need you, but I think we're all there.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #10,060 of 62,136
I previously owned the awful first-gen WF-1000X and currently use WH-1000XM3 as my daily driver. Yesterday I demoed the WF-1000XM3 at store with my HTC10 as source (AAC codec was used). Only tried it with Apple Music and Youtube......it doesn't support anything beyond AAC anyway.

Stock silicon tips just slipped into my ear-canals and instantly created a great seal. This combined with ANC gave solid noise reduction - much superior to the first-generation in this regard. I would rate the ANC capability of WF-1000XM3 as about half as good as WH-1000XM3.

SQ wise, to my surprise I prefer WF-1000XM3 over its full-sized big brother. Both models have the modern Sony tuning - boomy loose bass, uneven mid-range & treble. However, WF-1000XM3 has: 1.)noticeably less mid-bass bloom; 2.) less sucked-out lower mids; 3.) more forward vocal-range; 4.) more present, yet smoother treble than WH-1000XM3, resulting in better overall tonal balance. When listened to female vocal centric J-pop such as Aimer, the WF model such present the music with more body and drive than the WH model. When listening to hardcore rock such as Ling Tosite Sigure, bass-line isn't as overwhelming with the WF model compared to the WH model. With jazz such as Herbie Hancock, the brighter treble of WF gave more air than the duller WH.

Will pick up a pair for sure.

Damn you! (He says, looking at his wallet ...)

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #10,062 of 62,136
C1A2A4B0-73AD-4837-B058-2F22BE41D040.jpeg

The generic T50 TWS isn't as beautiful in real life as it is in pictures. Mid bass bleed/ lower mid fest. And 'interesting' controls: one tap increases or decreases the volume, press twice to pause...

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #10,064 of 62,136
These look nice, but as mentioned the price is a little steep. The specs are exactly on par with the MPOW T5, but I don't believe the T5 uses a graphene driver. I'd really like to get my hands on some at a lower price.
The Tevi has 10h battery life (60% volume with SBC), and as I posted before, Marco at Lypertek said the following about the similarities with the T5: "Of course not the re-brand for MPOW models. We made the own tooling and tunes the sound by ourselves to meet our requirements. If you have the MPOW model, you can compare the sound by yourself. Then you will know. :)You can see the upper cover of TEVI is unique from the market."

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #10,065 of 62,136
I’ve been rocking the Sony WF-1000XM3s since Wednesday and they are the best TWEs I’ve used. The sound is amazing across the spectrum. Warm and enjoyable Sony house sound with very few sacrifices. With the right tips (I’m using the large Bliss tips from T-Moda), the isolation is great and the ANC actually works. (No, it’s not at WH-1000XM3 levels, but for walking around the city, or a subway commute, it makes a really nice difference. I would still take my WHs for a long plane trip just to be safe.). They’re comfortable. The microphones seems great — I haven’t made many calls, but I recorded a voice memo while walking down a load street and the background noise was barely noticeable in the recording. These tick all my boxes. Just wish they had a decent IP rating — but I did something I never do and paid for the Best Buy protection program so I didn’t have to worry about a stray raindrop.

The only thing I don’t like about these earphones is that they will make it very difficult to justify feeding my earphone habit, going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back