Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 21, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #5,101 of 62,440
More testing so far this morning. I synced the MW07s to my phone simultaneously as the MTWs to make sure the source is not the issue, and it turns out to not be the problem, as expected. MW07 sounds the same from iPhone XS as it does from Apple Watch Series 4.

One thing I did was do more tip swapping on the MW07, and the change to MandarinES large tips on the MW07 definitely helped improve some of the issues I’m having with transparency in the lower end of the spectrum, but the kids and uppers (particularly vocals) still simply aren’t up to par on my pair of MW07 compared to my pair of MTW. There’s a much better sense of, “being there,” with the MTW than with the MW07, which feels veiled in comparison. Like sound coming out of a radio, as opposed to being there like the MTW. I will keep listening to the MW07 in hopes that breaking them in will fix it, but so far I am having a hard time comprehending why any other reviewers consider the MW07 comparable to the MTW purely from a sound quality standpoint. I really wish they were closer in performance, because the Master & Dynamic pieces are just so much nicer looking and easier to operate with gloves on.

-Ed
Just goes to show that sq is subjective. I would grab mw07 over mtw every time purely on sq. Just sound more musical to me. Engadget agrees with you on sq.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #5,102 of 62,440
Just goes to show that sq is subjective. I would grab mw07 over mtw every time purely on sq. Just sound more musical to me. Engadget agrees with you on sq.
Or could it be inconsistent manufacturing?

-Ed

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #5,105 of 62,440
from what i gather from reviews, it's always a toss up between the MTW and the MW07 when talking about the sound. that's a good thing, so they are pretty much equal in sound, with choice only weighted by preference

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #5,106 of 62,440
I finally purchased the MW07 and selled the Senns. To my ears, the MW07 are more airy and separation between instruments is better, a more deep and 3d sense of space with ha slighty bigger soundstage, the upper mid is more present withou being harch except in some songs or bad recordings, giving a sense of transparency and organic voices. The treble seems from memory more precise and detailled....

I really like these but I also have to admit that they don't fit really good in my ears, I finally use them only in quiet places... the Senns had better fit and isolation and I think that for an "on the go" purpose, these are better... For "critical" listening in quiet places, the MW07 are my favorites.

Now, I also purchased the Earin M2 and I have to admit that those are also incredible.. first, the fit and isolation that are top class...and the sound that reminds me a lot the Senns... sincerely, they are really nice... good bass, natural mids, rich treble...good soundstage... and so easy to carry and wear... The only concern are some strange drops sometimes and other times, they don't connect correctly... but despite this, I really like them.

I also had B&o E8, and have the Jabra Elite 65t, but finally, the Earin are really good to me and the better overall option... I will possibly sell my MW07 because at home, I already have a 100% sedentary set-up...and need true wireless for on the go purpose only.... if someone is interested, just PM me.
I was thinking of getting the Jabra Elite 65T today for use at the gym. How are You liking yours? Any issues with them, especially in a gym or crowded area?

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,107 of 62,440
Hello,

I have bought plenty of TW Iems but at the end, the one and only that I keep is the Jabra, the first I bought. I find them to be very comfy and isolation is quite good even in crowded places with the stock large tips. For gym they are better than any of the other TWs I owned except perhaps the Earin that are a little bit more comfy and have a better fit. Soundwise, I find the 65t to do the job when you are outside and you don't focus on critical listening... I think at the end, I will allways keep them... in my experience, best overall option...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #5,108 of 62,440
Head-Fi has so many fans/followers these days: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/02/20/samsungs-galaxy-buds-coming-march-8th-for-129/

Rflmao, comments ^: “I can imagine Head Fi furiously foaming at their mouths over Samsung calling these “buds”...lol. They harass anyone calling earbuds anything but canalphones. You can’t even call them “IEMs”.”

So yet another proprietary codec, like we need yet another? And of course since Apple has a billion ip’s in circulation, obligatory AAC codec is on competing products, as Samsung seems perpetually trying to out do Apple...will Apple bring out a folding sp nxt yr @$2k, or will Samsung’s ‘fold’ when significant sales fail to materialize?

They connect via Bluetooth 5.0 and use a proprietary Samsung "scalable" codec, along with AAC and SBC. It's unclear how this compares to AptX, but hopefully it's competitive. For what it's worth, the audio is tuned by AKG like most other Samsung products. The buds also have Bixby integration, and they sync instantly with Galaxy smartphones. So, you've got that to look forward to when the Galaxy Buds launch on March 8th.”

Like the new Galaxy smartphones, the buds are priced just below what the competing Apple product is selling for.

Can’t find anything useful on LG’s soon to be release flagship(s) lg v50 &G8, as far as any audio changes/improvements. I couldn’t find anything meaningful in the proposed BT 5.1 spec, and there is nothing on the SIG about potential BT 6.0.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #5,109 of 62,440
Of course we don't "need" a new codec, but boy it's great to try and force people to buy your product and trap you in their ecosystem. Proprietary means I ain't touching it. Don't care if they're really good.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #5,110 of 62,440
Of course we don't "need" a new codec, but boy it's great to try and force people to buy your product and trap you in their ecosystem. Proprietary means I ain't touching it. Don't care if they're really good.

The new samsung buds have AAC though?

I pre-ordered the s10 plus but I most likely will not be purchasing the buds. Was not with any of Samsung's previous TW earphones. I'm happy that they're priced competitively so there will be fewer airpods visible in public. It's basically guaranteed they will sound better than airpods, but still consumer grade.

I'm happy with the Earin M2, and will upgrade to the M3 whenever they're released. Overall as a package, they are extremely good and this isn't just because of the form factor.

One thing I really just want to try is the Mavin Air-X. The fit looks different to other TW so maybe my small ears will find them comfortable. No UK resellers yet, I don't want to order it from overseas.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,111 of 62,440
I decided to pre-order the Galaxy Buds, figure they will work OK with my S9 and since they support other Codecs like AAC I should be able to use them with my other devices.

Also ordered the Galaxy Watch Active to replace my Samsung Fit 2 as it has a new Blood Pressure sensor that I want to monitor my BP more closely .

Will post how the buds sound when I get them on the 8th.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #5,112 of 62,440
Hello,

I have bought plenty of TW Iems but at the end, the one and only that I keep is the Jabra, the first I bought. I find them to be very comfy and isolation is quite good even in crowded places with the stock large tips. For gym they are better than any of the other TWs I owned except perhaps the Earin that are a little bit more comfy and have a better fit. Soundwise, I find the 65t to do the job when you are outside and you don't focus on critical listening... I think at the end, I will allways keep them... in my experience, best overall option...
I really wanted to buy the Earin M2 but they are sold out in black.

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #5,114 of 62,440
"Oh sure, you can use AAC if you want, but you're missing out on the great sound of our much better one..."

Sure, that is annoying especially how they word it. Sounds like they're just trying to hype up their codec, likely making it seem better than it actually is.

I don't think the quality of the hardware in the $120 buds is going to benefit from a codec with quality higher than that which AAC will bring.

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #5,115 of 62,440
Or could it be inconsistent manufacturing?
I dunno. I'm on a 2nd MW07, it has slightly better battery life but same SQ. Don't have Senns to compare but my impression of how MW07 sound is totally opposite of yours. "Congested" and "veiled" are the last things I would think of them, even coming off of my Westone 4, not speaking of 65t. I also had at first trouble with fit but SpinFits CP100Z-L totally fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back