Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #2,386 of 62,202
I have been testing them while on public transport, so haven't really detected any hiss as the background noise may have covered it up. But even while walking, I don't detect it either. Haven't tested in a quiet environment yet.
I do all my controls via my phone so, haven't encountered any issues. Besides, it behind your ear, clicking the button there is kind of out of the way.

Here's my impressions and answers to some queries I posted over at the KZ thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2571#post-14622693

I have reached about the 4 hours mark with the BT20 after 2 days of use. Its still going strong. Its supposed to do about 6 hours, so shall have to see how it fares for the 3rd day of use.

Thanks I saw over there that someone was using them with TRN IEMs (not sure if it's the V80). The hiss with the KZ-ZS3 is much less annoying with the TRN BT3 adapter.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,387 of 62,202
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #2,391 of 62,202
Sure! So you get a pair of Comply fakes/generic foam earplugs (you'll need to punch a hole in these), snip off the top half-inch to an inch off em. Then you grab the silicon eartips and flip the "mushroom" part up (like when an umbrella gets inverted due to wind), and work the foam bits around the cylinder bit of the silicone tips. Then, roll the mushroom back down over them and install on the earbuds as usual. In practice it's kinda like the now discontinued Sony isolation tips that were foam-filled silicone eartips.

So you basically take foam from a tip/earplug and fill the underside of the silicone tip? Will have to try, thanks! Curious if this extends the life for foams. I like them, but Complys get "soft" and tear pretty fast for me.

Comply sidenote: these are my first ones with their "sweatguard." Has anyone cut those out? I don't really care about guarding from sweat and part of me feels like they might block some of the low end.

Kind of gross, but I think the sweatguards capture a lot of wax, which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you think about it. It does lower their lifespan in my experience.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,392 of 62,202
Okay, so received my Senns this morning. Haven't used them for long, but can give a comparative opinion on the soundstage etc compared to the Jabra 65Ts. TL;DR: They rock. :)

So much more bass and a much more open and clear soundstage. Tighter treble, less muddy than the Jabras. The sound profile is very much like my old IE80s - which is a good thing.

Few test tracks to compare:
  • 'Sister', Lenny Kravitz - that first bass note just kicks. On the Jabra it was okay, but with the Senns it's like having an actual bass guitar in your head.
  • 'Ordinary Day', Bent - cracking bass, and the soundstage opens up widely, compared to the Jabras. Feels like listening in a big room, rather than in your head.
  • 'Revolutions', Jarre - crisp clear percussion, really tight mid-ranges. Just sounds a whole load clearer than the Jabras, and sooo much more detail.
  • 'World in my Eyes', Depeche Mode - Intro is really tight and hits you much harder, real oomph to it.
  • 'Coward', Interstellar OST - They really showed up the differences here. The whole soundstage opened up and felt voluminous. The underlying low notes of the organ backdrop felt huge in my head, really awesome.
  • 'Rather Be (Magician Remix)', Clean Bandit - again, massively thumping bass, but the soundstage is so wide and open.
  • 'Take it Back', Floyd - everything just sounds crisper and cleaner, and there's a deep tonal bass that just hits you hard.
The thing I really noticed is that there's just a whole new depth of tone that's missing on the Jabras. The other thing is that the volume is so loud. With the Jabras, I had to run them at literally 100% volume to get any sort of immersion, and it really wasn't that loud at all. With the Senns, I'd say they're louder at 50% than the 65Ts at 100%. Whether that means that the battery life will be improved because the volume is lower, remains to be seen.

So from a SQ perspective, these have nailed it. Really chuffed.

Just have to see how the battery life and the other features work out. In terms of other stuff - pairing was instant - put them in the case, took them out again and they popped up on my phone (S7Edge) instantly. No problems. Fit seems excellent, with the default tips - feel solid as a rock. Don't think I'll have any need for replacement tips (or even to change the tips to the larger ones) but we'll see.

Dammit. I hate you. Now I have to get them LOL

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,393 of 62,202
So you basically take foam from a tip/earplug and fill the underside of the silicone tip? Will have to try, thanks! Curious if this extends the life for foams. I like them, but Complys get "soft" and tear pretty fast for me.

Kind of gross, but I think the sweatguards capture a lot of wax, which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you think about it. It does lower their lifespan in my experience.

Yeah I kind of figured that. I might give it a shot and cut one out to see if it makes a difference in bass and overall volume. I'm seeing comments in here about people thinking the Senn's are super loud but I had the opposite reaction. I'm coming from a pair of Jlab Epic Air's and the loudest I'd go with them was about 70% (and this is at the gym, when I usually need an extra kick in volume).

With the Senn's at the gym today, I had them around 90%. Not sure if it's the Comply tips/sweatguard of the buds themselves though.

Aside from that, the Comply's are a huge upgrade for me. These things fit super securely, I didn't have to adjust them once at the gym. And my ears didn't hurt afterwards like they did with the MW07. I'm sold.

Turning off Siri in the Senn app as someone else mentioned in here was a great idea as I kept accidentally activating it when I wanted Transparency mode. Transparency mode is still a bit finnicky and honestly even when I activate it, it's hardly any different from just pausing the music.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,394 of 62,202
Turning off Siri in the Senn app as someone else mentioned in here was a great idea as I kept accidentally activating it when I wanted Transparency mode. Transparency mode is still a bit finnicky and honestly even when I activate it, it's hardly any different from just pausing the music.
Yeah, so far (limited testing) the touch controls on the Senns are super-finnicky, and trying to differentiate between one-tap and two taps is hard. I doubt I'll use the touch controls much.

The transparency mode seemed to work well - less echoey and metallic than the equivalent on the Jabras, but I only tried it in my kitchen with no other noise around, so hard to tell how effective it is.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,395 of 62,202
@hifi80sman and or @SomeGuyDude

Are you liking the Bose more than the MW07 for SQ and comfort?
SQ:
To me, the MW07 sound more refined and better overall from top to bottom; transparency is better. Better top end detail (Bose is a bit rolled off) and a tighter low end. Like I said, they both sound good, but the MW07 edges it with it's refined, natural sound.

Comfort:
The MW07 are comfortable and one of the more comfortable for this form factor, but the Bose still win in terms of comfort.

Looks:
The MW07 look way better and don't make you look like Frankenstein's Monster.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,396 of 62,202
Yeah, so far (limited testing) the touch controls on the Senns are super-finnicky, and trying to differentiate between one-tap and two taps is hard. I doubt I'll use the touch controls much.

The transparency mode seemed to work well - less echoey and metallic than the equivalent on the Jabras, but I only tried it in my kitchen with no other noise around, so hard to tell how effective it is.

Yeah I might be expecting too much regarding transparency from little earbuds. On my Sony XM3 cans the transparency mode sounds awesome, so I might be a bit biased.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,398 of 62,202
Did anyone recieve their Senn "MOMENTUM True Wireless" IEM's yet? Sorry, I am catching up with headfi now after getting back from Thanksgiving family trip.
How's the IEM, anyone recommend it over anything previously in the market?

BTW, whats a good comply foam tip for jabra elite 65t (i picked up one anyhow for daily routines), But i am looking to get the "MOMENTUM True Wireless" if they are better than anything sold in the market right now.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,399 of 62,202
Did anyone recieve their Senn "MOMENTUM True Wireless" IEM's yet? How's the IEM, anyone recommend it over anything previously in the market?
Lots of us have them. Scroll up a few posts for my comparison with Jabra 65Ts, and back a couple of pages to see comparisons with the Havits, the MWs, and a few others.

I think the general consensus is that from a sound quality perspective, they're very very good. The controls can be a bit fiddly and aren't quite as slick as the Jabras. The battery life seems good, but again, is not as good as the Jabras. If you're in for the SQ, and the cost doesn't scare you off, you won't be disappointed.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #2,400 of 62,202
Got the mavin for fun,-since the sennheiser seems more like an "indoor" type thing and the jabra 65 seems to have the most boxes ticked (but could be a little louder and with apt-x) Next waiting for the qualcomm 5 series that should have anc.

Not tested the mavin much,- other to check the sound is not crap and tinny and it passed the quick test. Also these are louder than the jabras. Next have to check battery life and connection outside.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back