Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #1,082 of 62,437
i have an hour daily commute to NYC daily. Campfire Atlas and Andromeda was bit of a hazzle to use and ANC felt like an overkill. i picked up a used BO E8 and they were perfect. No wires dangling around your while u exiting a train or sweaty pads using Bose and Sony ANCs.

Now i am really curious how sennheiser is gonna sound when compared to E8?

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #1,083 of 62,437
i have an hour daily commute to NYC daily. Campfire Atlas and Andromeda was bit of a hazzle to use and ANC felt like an overkill. i picked up a used BO E8 and they were perfect. No wires dangling around your while u exiting a train or sweaty pads using Bose and Sony ANCs.

Now i am really curious how sennheiser is gonna sound when compared to E8?
I have the E8 (and a few other BT) and hope they have great sound and features like the E8. At 300 they better be top notch.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #1,084 of 62,437
Please keep an eye/ear out on 9/28...
Honestly can't wait to see what's coming out of your workshop. I was gonna PM you to say, true wireless is the next avenue that Massdrop should jump into - guess I didn't need to PM you :D.

I'm really hoping the likes of the other audiophile brands - Campfire Audio, JH Audio, etc would jump in too.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my Elite Active 65t but I'd also like to see more audiophile quality. The closest I've got to audiophile wireless in the past 2 years has been the Sony MUC-M2BT1 with my FitEar MH335SDW-SR (and Titan), but it's not true wireless.

9278527.jpg

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #1,085 of 62,437
I've been considering this as well, but 80mW @32ohms vs. 25mW @32ohms made me opt for the Shanling M0. Pretty happy with it, it's the best BT-receiver I've had so far.
I just got my M0. I'm fairly pleased with it due to being able to connect LDAC to my smarphone. I realized that AAC has bit of a delay when it comes to AV sync, but not with LDAC. I was considering the FiiO due to the AptX LL, but given that I face no issue with latency with LDAC to my smartphone, M0 will do just fine.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,086 of 62,437
Here’s the link to my review of the brand new JAYS m-Six Wireless IEMs with Bluetooth 5.0. It will be shipping soon in 4 colors for $100. I liked the sound and the dropouts which had previously turned me off to Bluetooth designs were minimal with my iPhone SE that uses Bluetooth 4.2. 5.0 devices should be a lot better in this regard.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,087 of 62,437
Here’s the link to my review of the brand new JAYS m-Six Wireless IEMs with Bluetooth 5.0. It will be shipping soon in 4 colors for $100. I liked the sound and the dropouts which had previously turned me off to Bluetooth designs were minimal with my iPhone SE that uses Bluetooth 4.2. 5.0 devices should be a lot better in this regard.

Thanks for this review. I really like this brand (and especially their jays q jays). The m-jays six seems like a good compromise between neckband bluetooth earphones and true wireless earphones

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,089 of 62,437
I assume there are no high-end ($1,000+) custom IEM's that match the quality of high-end custom IEM's yet right?

Possibly not worth it given the limited bit rate over bluetooth

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,091 of 62,437
But Aptx HD Bluetooth people mention is better but I assume even that can't match or reach good wired connection?

It is still essentially lossy and according to many not really better than aac 320 (which I admittedly fine pretty good). I have never personally tried anything with AptX

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,092 of 62,437
I assume there are no high-end ($1,000+) custom IEM's that match the quality of high-end custom IEM's yet right?

The closest I've found is the bluetooth cable integration that Ultimate Ears offers with their custom products. Its not true wireless, but its the closes I'e seen. Some people have said good things abbot the Bragi Dash/Starkey partnership, but I don't have any experience.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,093 of 62,437
It is still essentially lossy and according to many not really better than aac 320 (which I admittedly fine pretty good). I have never personally tried anything with AptX

AptX HD is lossy, but the bitrate is better than 320, 576 according to this article which inexplicably refers to HD as lossless.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,094 of 62,437
AptX HD is lossy, but the bandwidth is better than 320, 576 according to this article which inexplicable refers to HD as lossless.

Yes the bandwich is higher, but many say that it does not really translate to all that much better sq than aac 320. It probably also depends on what files you use since f.ex. Aac files will need to be transcoded to AptX so lossy to lossy and that might sound worse than using aac for bluetooth whereas a lossless file might teanscode better to AptX. As I said I have no personal experience with AptX, I use Beosound E8 on an iPhone with 320 aac files so giving my gear the optimal conditions and that is plenty good enough for on the go use for me but sq is poorer than lossless files with qJays V2 wired if I were to listen critically without background noise

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,095 of 62,437
Yes the bandwich is higher, but many say that it does not really translate to all that much better sq than aac 320. It probably also depends on what files you use since f.ex. Aac files will need to be transcoded to AptX so lossy to lossy and that might sound worse than using aac for bluetooth whereas a lossless file might teanscode better to AptX. As I said I have no personal experience with AptX, I use Beosound E8 on an iPhone with 320 aac files so giving my gear the optimal conditions and that is plenty good enough for on the go use for me but sq is poorer than lossless files with qJays V2 wired if I were to listen critically without background noise

Yes, I agree with you here about double compression. I use an internet radio station mentioned in my JAYS m-Six review that plays FLAC files, so the Bluetooth compression isn’t bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back