Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 15, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #92 of 62,300
I have to ask can u actually hear improve sound quality from services like tidal over bluetooth headsets?

I dont know but since the signal gets aac encoded but Tidal being uncompressed from the start must have an advantage. Spotify gets decoded and then encoded again whereas Tidal only gets encoded so only one compression. However on the go with general ambient noice I’m not sure how much it matters.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #93 of 62,300
Im about to pre order the Samsung gear iconx 2018 on samsungs website. I was waiting for best buy but they have not put them up as of yet. What do you guys think are the chances for the iconx 2018 to go on sale for black Friday? I'm doubting it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #94 of 62,300
Well I got my Sol Air Amps this morning, can say I’m highly highly impressed. Packaging is lovely, case and bud build quality is far beyond what I expected. Opened them, paired them to each other, then to my phone, took all of 7 seconds, never a drop out, never a glitch so far so very impressed.

Fit is for me plenty secure enough, the tips that were in them are perfect. They are quite large and I wouldn’t want to wear for hours and hours on end but for an hour and a half weight session plenty comfy enough.

As they only use these rubber grooves to stay secure me personally HIIT perhaps maybe too much but heavy weight session was fine.

Sound, more than good enough for gym, I’d happily listen to these all day and wouldn’t pine for more. Very bassy but not too flabby and certainly not flat single note bass.

Highs have just enough sparkle to not sound flat but allow higher volumes without being sibilant or piercing in any way.

Mids a tiny bit recessed making them more U shaped than V shaped imo.

Those looking for something for hip hop, EDm modern pop etc, with convenience of 45 hours charge time on the case, and the case can be used as a phone charger in a squeeze with a more than adequate fit for moderate movement needs I have to say highly recommended.

Just a quick observation incase anyone was interested, I’m sure I’ll form more opinions over the next week or so.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #95 of 62,300
I'm currently trying out the jam ultra truewireless buds. If you like bass and lots of it, then this is the truewireless ear bud to get, I tried a few true wireless buds like the Jabra elite, Samsung iconx, bragi dash, sol amp airs, jaybird x3, Plantronics, cheap Chinese ones, and these jams ultra beat them all with BASS! it goes unbelievable deep, ear buds are not supposed to go so deep! I would say the other frequencies do suffer some from all this bass but not so bad that you cannot enjoy them. These would be great for gym duty or back ups, not critical listening. I am going to put a quick and dirty cons and pros list here. hope this helps some....

PROS
Did I mention these have tons of bass. if your a bass head and want true wireless get these. they remind of beats headphones or the sony extra bass headphones.
Price 99.00 is pretty cheap compared to the competition.
Very light buds, not heavy on the ears.
Sweat proof.
Fit is good, they don't stick out much.
Battery life is rated 3 hours I got a about 3 hours and 40 mins. the first time out, not bad at all.
The Jams can get very loud.
Charging case has 10 more charges plus you can charge other devices with it.
Very important, Bluetooth connection is rock solid! The best I have gotten yet. no drop outs at all, indoors or out!
The Jams automatically connect when taken out of case and disconnect when put back into magnetic case, slick.
isolation is almost 100% I cant hear anything with music on, even people talking right next to me, pretty good.

CONS
Build quality is all plastic, that's why its so light.
With all this bass you do lose a lot of details in the highs and mids.
Bass is very strong, thick and deep but lacks texture.
No volume or track controls, just pause, play and answer calls.
Case is a little cheap, looks nice but cheap plastic just like the buds.
At louder sound levels you can hear some distortion, maybe they still need to break in.
should have better indicator lights for charging status on buds and case.
some fatigue when listening for long periods, bass is strong, it rumbles so ears get tired after long sessions.

I am thinking about keeping these as back ups or for when I want some fun with that extra bass.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #97 of 62,300
I had the Jabra Elite but they hurt my ears so they did not last long. Any idea when the Earin M2's come out. Been looking at them for ages!
Vaporware as far as I'm concerned. I've watched their website and facebook page push the date from April to "Fall 2017". Clearly they are having issues. The M1s were actually decent.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #98 of 62,300
Vaporware as far as I'm concerned. I've watched their website and facebook page push the date from April to "Fall 2017". Clearly they are having issues. The M1s were actually decent.
I'm somewhat optimistic given that it's their *second* product. Good rule of thumb is to never buy the first one!

I can't recall an example where the first version would get stellar reviews. "Good but needs work" is probably the best you can hope for.

Fingers crossed.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #99 of 62,300
I'm somewhat optimistic given that it's their *second* product. Good rule of thumb is to never buy the first one!

I can't recall an example where the first version would get stellar reviews. "Good but needs work" is probably the best you can hope for.

Fingers crossed.
I've been using the Bose now for over week. They are nearly flawless. The connection is rock solid. The sound is way above average for this type of product. I guess the only drawbacks would be the size and possible sound leak if you need to use in a noisy environment. Otherwise, I couldn't imagine spending $200 or more on any competing product because I doubt that they could be better. Again, I don't love Bose but they really nailed it with the Soundsport Free. I'm sure there will be others that compete eventually but right now, for my money, these are the best there is.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #102 of 62,300
That's excellent news. I'll be getting the Beoplay E8s in the new year then, unless the Zolo Libertys live up to their expectations.

Apart from having to delete the pairing and repair every few days with my iPhone8 to avoid drop outs in the left side the E8 is near perfect for me

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #103 of 62,300
Zolo looks interesting. Will be interesting to see if the driver and BT 5.0 make any significant enhancements or are just marketing BS.

This has already been discussed and explained in the first pages of this thread. BT5 makes zero improvements to sound quality. Any improvements that do come will be from better DAC decoders or plugins like Aptx and the like. There are no improvements to the amount of data that can be transmitted for Bluetooth's classic mode, only Bluetooth's low power mode which has a lower bitrate than Classic.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #104 of 62,300
Ok still messin' with the jam ultras, battery is solid gets more battery time than what is stated on brochure consistently. On my 3rd charge from this little box with out charging as of yet. Bluetooth connection is another plus! Its fantastic! outside, inside, left pocket, right pocket, back pocket, floor, fanny pack it doesnt matter, no drop outs at all, bragi could learn a thing or two from jam in that department. Sound quality is not the very best, very fat, heavy bass but very listenable. Perfect for hip hop, and bassy music After using the jams, and then reverting back to jaybird x3, the jaybirds now sounded very high pitched, very trebly, even with bass way up on them, Its
Wierd.

Why no love for the new Samsung iconx 2018, they tic alot of boxes and the prior iconx sounded great to me. Can't wait until they drop on the 27th.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #105 of 62,300
This has already been discussed and explained in the first pages of this thread. BT5 makes zero improvements to sound quality. Any improvements that do come will be from better DAC decoders or plugins like Aptx and the like. There are no improvements to the amount of data that can be transmitted for Bluetooth's classic mode, only Bluetooth's low power mode which has a lower bitrate than Classic.
Understood. They also advertise having a graphene driver whatever on earth that means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back