Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 23, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #121 of 62,112
that's the main reason I returned the Jabra elite, jamming the buds in my ear to use controls was very bad for me, did not like that at all, and they felt heavy too.

I just saw on best buy website another truewireless earbud from onkyo model W800BTB/27, anyone seen or heard of these?

The ultra jams I am testing are still kicking strong, zero disconnect I mean zero, I tried indoors, out doors, in my car, in my bathroom, mall, Walmart, target, very busy Bluetooth congested areas and I am telling you these have to have the strongest Bluetooth connection I ever had in an earbud, not sure what version Bluetooth they are using but it really works. I just wish the sound quality could be better, or maybe an app with an eq to adjust all that bass and I wish it had touch controls, all buds should have touch controls.

I am waiting for the Samsung iconx 2018 to show up at best buy so I can pick them up, this week they should be there cannot wait!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #122 of 62,112
I ended up purchasing the bluetooth cable off the UE website and turned my andromeda into bluetooth. I'm planning on purchasing customs soon so these will work well when I'm at work.

Hopefully there won't be much interference when I step outside. There's an advertised 8 hours with the dongle so hopefully it comes close.

I did see that plussound also has one with aptx and a longer battery but I didn't want to spend more than I already have and there typically is a long wait them with them.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #123 of 62,112
I was all over « true wireless » and also very impatient to see Nuforce’s new wireless iem line. Turns out, the Be Free8 is their move into true wireless! I thought I was done for, even more so since I auditioned them and liked what I heard. It’s not the fun but rather understated sound of the Be6i, my gym iems; the Be Free8 are more hefty. Where the Be6i have a slight bump in the bass, the Be Free8 go all out. It’s not out of whack, the other ranges are well represented; but the bump is not in the lower bass, it’s not rumbly, rather somewhere in the mid-bass to really give you that bass kick with a lot of body behind it.

It’s like the Be Free8 themselves have been working out, basically.

But there’s no volume adjustment on the earpieces, only play controls. And there wasn’t any margin there, in an admittedly noisy setting I had to set them at the max. Still better than the Earin 2, which seemed to sound decent but need their app, soon to be released, to output at a normal volume under Android (no such issue with iOS apparently).

Connection quality was great, I could walk around the interference-laden hall without hitches. The low-latency Aptx codec works wonders apparently and keeps both earpieces in perfect sync. The electro-magnetic mode of communication between both earpieces can seem a touch scary however.

Ultimately they don’t feel secure enough in the ear, plus I don’t like having one more EM field around my brain, and the sound is cool but I like the Be6i’s more balanced profile. So my journey towards total wireless will halt for a while. At least I’m not wearing one of those stethoscope-like devices that come with many high-performing iems, just that little rubber cord that keeps adhering to my sweaty neck at the gym and threatens to pull the earpieces out at the worst moments. Sadly too soon for me since I don’t trust Bose, Samsung et al. SQ-wise next to Nuforce. Maybe if Sony gets on that train?

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #124 of 62,112
I did see that plussound also has one with aptx and a longer battery but I didn't want to spend more than I already have and there typically is a long wait them with them.

Ooooh. Quite tempted by the PlusSound - they look decent quality, decent battery life, and would be compatible with my IE80s, which would mean I keep my custom sleeves and the SQ I'm happy with. This might be a better option than the BeoPlays for me...

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #125 of 62,112
Ooooh. Quite tempted by the PlusSound - they look decent quality, decent battery life, and would be compatible with my IE80s, which would mean I keep my custom sleeves and the SQ I'm happy with. This might be a better option than the BeoPlays for me...
What IEMs are you guys using with these connectors? Anything you trust in the gym and can take a little sweat?

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #127 of 62,112
What IEMs are you guys using with these connectors? Anything you trust in the gym and can take a little sweat?

I'm using campfire audio andromeda. I wouldn't use these while exercising. They are too expensive to risk it. I have my bose soundsport wireless for that

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #128 of 62,112
So my E8's went back for warranty replacement. Lets see if it's possible to get a properly working unit.

So far though, the case size is just small enough to fit in a pocket. No sharp corners so comfy to walk around with them in jeans. The case I put my Vega + XB10 in is just big enough that pocket carry is not really feasible. The touch controls are better than most alternatives I've seen so far (which either have no controls or really small buttons). You get volume, playback and transparency. I did notice that certain things, like magnetic anti-theft systems, commercial fridges, etc. would make the left earpiece kick out. It may be the faulty left unit or the magnetic technology. On the positive side, the magnetic field couldn't be that strong given (i) the size of the battery and battery life, and (ii) the type of magnetic things that interfere with it. This is good news considering I have aneurysm coils in my head. I'm still in love with the concept. My Jaybird Freedoms would end up in a tangled mess or have the eartips coming off when pocketed and often be dead when I tried to use them sporadically. The carry case keeps these juiced up such that I can carry it around for a few days knowing I got at least 4hrs of playtime, can use just the right earpiece to take calls, etc.

Will wait for the replacement unit before posting a review. Was going to take them hiking, but not sure if they will get here before it gets too cold!

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #129 of 62,112
Has anybody on Head-Fi tried the Dash Pro "tailored by Starkey"? https://www.bragi.com/thedashpro/customize/

For me the ease of insertion of CIEMs would be the final cherry on the cake of truly wireless IEMs. I always find tiresome finding a good seal. Did a number with Sugru on my RBH EP-SB to turn them into CIEM but wearing them behind your ears makes the connection very weak and I have to position my smartphone carefully on the right side of my body, lest I get drops in sound.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #130 of 62,112
right now what I use for my wireless fix are MMCX or 2-pin bluetooth modules that I plug to some of my favorite budget IEMs and those sound significantly better than any current or previous Bluetooth earphone I have and they cost significantly less while being more versatile.
Care to share what "bluetooth modules" you're using for this? I'm familiar with just the Westone solution (https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/bluetooth-cable).

Edit: a simple search got me many results. But if you have good experiences with a specific brands I'd be interested to hear about it. PM me if here would be offtopic. TIA.

Edit 2: even for the Westone, which I think is currently the best solution on the market (from what I read), I notice reports of connection problems when worn behind the head. As long as that remains a problem I'll stay with my RBH EP-SB, I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #131 of 62,112
Care to share what "bluetooth modules" you're using for this? I'm familiar with just the Westone solution (https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/bluetooth-cable).

Edit: a simple search got me many results. But if you have good experiences with a specific brands I'd be interested to hear about it. PM me if here would be offtopic. TIA.

Edit 2: even for the Westone, which I think is currently the best solution on the market (from what I read), I notice reports of connection problems when worn behind the head. As long as that remains a problem I'll stay with my RBH EP-SB, I guess.

I had the Westone in the past and worked well other than the connection problems. I bought the UE Jaybird mmcx cable and so far so good. There are some minor skipping every now and then but considerably less than the Westone. (The odd thing is I had the Jaybird X3 for a bit and it was unlistenable due to connection issues however this one is the best I've had from a mmcx adapter. It's the same company so it makes no sense)The issue would be lack of aptx. The other one I was looking at is the plussound cable however I did not want to pay for it. I got a Mee Audio P2 paired with it now and soon will have a UE4 so it works well for me. It isn't perfect but I'm happy with it. It's not quite there on matching wired however it is better than in the past. I could definitely live with it however some may not.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #132 of 62,112
Here are some pics I took of the Samsung iconx 2018 and the Sony wf 1000x for your enjoyment...

Attachments

• 20171101_190020.jpg
    20171101_190020.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20171101_185953.jpg
    20171101_185953.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20171101_180730.jpg
    20171101_180730.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20171101_180634.jpg
    20171101_180634.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 15096337679321593512680.jpg
    15096337679321593512680.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 15096338159792104931704.jpg
    15096338159792104931704.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #133 of 62,112
Here are some more

Attachments

• 15096339908152045761384.jpg
    15096339908152045761384.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 15096341143601623529867.jpg
    15096341143601623529867.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #134 of 62,112
Pics are not showing why? I' not getting any error messages...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back