Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 19, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #53,626 of 62,670
The AZ80 at full MSRP in Canada is $400 which is quite steep. But more or less in line with Sony and Sennheiser. I suspect the XM5 might be over $400 in Canada.

Having said that I suspect they will need to adjust their price to compete as they have way less brand presence.

Did some comparison listening to Whole Lotta Love between the MTW3 and AZ80. I prefer the AZ80 as it was more musical to my ears, having more warmth but without loosing to much edge to the guitars. The MTW3 had more edge to the guitars but sounded more closed and clinical. So my preference is exactly that, preference, for others they might prefer the MTW3 presentation more. Neither is "better" except to the individual.

Maybe a better way to put the difference is I find the AZ80 to be effortless and the MTW3 to be a bit hard and controlled.
Glad you are enjoying them. They are a refined, mature, full tonality listen. They have grown on me in a real good way.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #53,627 of 62,670
The LG Tone DFP9 and DT90Q seem to offer the same feature as the Bowers PI7.
Never heard them, don't own them, etc. but read about the feature.
I've seen the DFP9 for around 99 USD...
I have the DFP9 and yeah they transmit fine but their middling ANC makes them so-so on the plane. Someone else said it here, but your better off with good ANC buds and a tiny sub-$20 transmitter.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #53,628 of 62,670
Very surprised how well Airpod 3's fit my ears, and the excellent wide soundstage.
No ANC, so if that's a must, then look elsewhere. However, because of the open nature of the design, they have a kind of open back headphone signature.
I don't have the first nor second generation, so can't compare.. I do have the AirPods Pro first gen, and I think the 3's sound better.. Again, probably due to the lack of ANC..
Recommended... 👍

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #53,629 of 62,670
The Noble mystique had a firmware update today but there's no info on what was updated and the app seems the same. anybody know what's up

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #53,630 of 62,670
To anyone with the Devialet Gemini 1 how does it hold up against more recent releases from a sound POV

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #53,631 of 62,670
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #53,633 of 62,670
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #53,634 of 62,670
To anyone with the Devialet Gemini 1 how does it hold up against more recent releases from a sound POV
Going from memory, they hold up very well if you like a fun warm sound signature. Think more Bose than something high end like the ZE. ANC is pretty solid too. I need to dig mine out.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #53,635 of 62,670
Going from memory, they hold up very well if you like a fun warm sound signature. Think more Bose than something high end like the ZE. ANC is pretty solid too. I need to dig mine out.
Something about Bose just turns me off. I have their SoundLink flex portable speakers which is pretty great. Really like their speakers, but all their overears have sounded congested and weirdly digital/fake in their sound reproduction.

Gemini had a lot of great sound feedback though so I guess another tws to be added to the watchlist

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #53,636 of 62,670
Very surprised how well Airpod 3's fit my ears, and the excellent wide soundstage.
No ANC, so if that's a must, then look elsewhere. However, because of the open nature of the design, they have a kind of open back headphone signature.
I don't have the first nor second generation, so can't compare.. I do have the AirPods Pro first gen, and I think the 3's sound better.. Again, probably due to the lack of ANC..
Recommended... 👍

The excellent wide soundstage is due to their open design. I don't think that sealed IEMs can compete in that regard.

Unless you need their seamless integration into the Apple ecosystem, I personally wouldn't recommend the Airpods 3 though. Their sound quality doesn't justify the asking price imo and there are many less expensive semi in-ears that perform better.

Just to state one example, these cheap no-name brand 'Pro 18' have better defined bass, better treble extension and overall better resolution to my ears:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Bluetooth-Earphones-Microphone-Comfortable-Conferences/dp/B0BHLML9TJ/
I did a direct A/B comparison between these clones and the original Airpods 3 and returned the originals the next day.

And out of the newer BT 5.3 models, these 'Backwin BW85' offer similarly superior audio performance, but I have only seen them on Amazon Germany so far:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0C14MHGQB/

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #53,637 of 62,670
Jun 20, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #53,638 of 62,670

Users who are viewing this thread

Back