Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 19, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #53,611 of 62,670
Damn. I've really gotten the itch to buy new stuff lately. Having not purchased anything for a couple years, I feel like someone shopping at the grocery store while hungry. Got the QCBuds II, love them, and have been planning on picking up the new PSB TWM when they come out, plus have the AZ80 on order from B&H. If Samsung releases a 3rd version of the Buds Pro I may pick them up, to see what they sound like with the SSC codec on board. Plus amazon has the Momentum True Wireless 3 for $175, and I'm tempted to try the Svanar as well. And that's just a run down of the True wireless models I'm considering.

Jun 19, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #53,612 of 62,670
Damn. I've really gotten the itch to buy new stuff lately. Having not purchased anything for a couple years, I feel like someone shopping at the grocery store while hungry. Got the QCBuds II, love them, and have been planning on picking up the new PSB TWM when they come out, plus have the AZ80 on order from B&H. If Samsung releases a 3rd version of the Buds Pro I may pick them up, to see what they sound like with the SSC codec on board. Plus amazon has the Momentum True Wireless 3 for $175, and I'm tempted to try the Svanar as well. And that's just a run down of the True wireless models I'm considering.
Well if you have the itch…. I’d pass on the MTW and sadly (because I’m a fan) the PSB. At this point, no ANC is a deal breaker at least for me. As for MTW it is intriguing and Helmetcheese loves them. Maybe at $150 or less? I’d like to hear what all the fuss is about.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #53,614 of 62,670
Just landed and was able to test: MTW3, AZ80, PIS7-2 and Bose QC2. Was sitting aisle but ahead of turbine. After trying with music and podcasts , found the MTW3 to performed the best with ANC ON and Off. The passive seal was the best. The AZ and PI were tied for 2nd but the Bose could have improved with a different set of tips.
The Bose QC2 can be difficult to find the right fit. I had the same problem on my first round trip after I bought them and was very disappointed… got home and went through every tip and wing tip to find a comfortable fit that worked with ANC. They have good videos which helped me a lot.

Fit matters a lot more to the QC2 than APP2 for ANC.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #53,615 of 62,670
They were excellent at the time… even if I hated the box, the wires always got tangled and after a while it starting buzzing (some grounding issue). They were good on calls too.

But the QC2/APP2 ANC is way better than the Bose 700 ANC which was significantly better than the QC20 ANC. Time moves on…

The lack of a plug into the ‘plane entertainment system continues to be bothersome for TWS on a plane though some new planes have Bluetooth built in.
Good to know. For short flights of 5h or less I nowadays just use the Gemini but haven't had a chance to compare them to the Bose, yet.

Haven't found any iem that last me as long with anc on as said QuietComfort. The box and case are annoying but looks like it is still the best compromise to make...?

Jun 19, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #53,616 of 62,670
Edifier Neobuds Pro 2 (192k?)

Anyone heard anything other than this :

6ynmafxshz6b1.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Earbuds/comments/14dg0ma/edifier_neobuds_pro_2_coming_soon/

EDIT:

"Equipped with the new LHDC5.0 high-definition codec, supports 192kHz / 24bit transmission, and obtained QQ Music’s first “premium sound quality” certification in the world; QQ Music’s first “premium master tape” technology, covering nearly a million “master tape level” “The sound source."

https://www.techgoing.com/edifier-n...g-has-appeared-supports-50db-noise-reduction/

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #53,617 of 62,670
Good to know. For short flights of 5h or less I nowadays just use the Gemini but haven't had a chance to compare them to the Bose, yet.

Haven't found any iem that last me as long with anc on as said QuietComfort. The box and case are annoying but looks like it is still the best compromise to make...?
I’ve always fancied the Geminis and some tests show them having good ANC too…would love to see how the ANC matches up to the QC2.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #53,618 of 62,670
Well the AZ80 arrived today and so far these are sounding amazing.

I listen to a lot of older rock, jazz, sound track from Hans Zimmer, classical like Arvo Part and these sound fantastic with those genres.

I am playing with flat or dynamic EQ.

So far every test track I use for reviews sounds stellar. Jazz almost has to much sizzle In dynamic sounding a bit more balanced using flat.

Rock on the other hand sounds a bit better using dynamic mode.

Han Zimmer also sounds better in dynamic mode, when the low Humm kicks in I can feel it which is really nice.

These fit extremely well, I initially thought maybe they would be loose but a small twist locked them in nicely.

The ambient mode works really well. I might actually use that mode at home so I can hear when someone starts to talk to me.

Will see what the ANC is like in the wind and out walking.

So far my fears appear to be unfounded which is good.

I will pick a few songs and do some A/B/C/D comparisons between the XM4, MTW3, and GB2Pro over the next week or so.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #53,619 of 62,670
Well the AZ80 arrived today and so far these are sounding amazing.

I listen to a lot of older rock, jazz, sound track from Hans Zimmer, classical like Arvo Part and these sound fantastic with those genres.

I am playing with flat or dynamic EQ.

So far every test track I use for reviews sounds stellar. Jazz almost has to much sizzle In dynamic sounding a bit more balanced using flat.

Rock on the other hand sounds a bit better using dynamic mode.

Han Zimmer also sounds better in dynamic mode, when the low Humm kicks in I can feel it which is really nice.

These fit extremely well, I initially thought maybe they would be loose but a small twist locked them in nicely.

The ambient mode works really well. I might actually use that mode at home so I can hear when someone starts to talk to me.

Will see what the ANC is like in the wind and out walking.

So far my fears appear to be unfounded which is good.

I will pick a few songs and do some A/B/C/D comparisons between the XM4, MTW3, and GB2Pro over the next week or so.
Awesome, they sound like winners!

Where did you get yours?

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #53,620 of 62,670
Bay Bloor. PM me if in Canada, I was able to get them to give an unadvertised sale price.

I can't say for sure how these compare to the AZ70 and AZ60 but from memory they do seem to have threaded the needle between those 2 models signature wise. The AZ60 lacked treble sparkle and had a bit to much mid bass. The AZ70 on the other hand was to weak in the mid bass but had good sub bass and nice treble. It was nice and airy but felt a but hollow for some music. These don't suffer from either of those weaknesses at least not so far.

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #53,621 of 62,670
I’ve always fancied the Geminis and some tests show them having good ANC too…would love to see how the ANC matches up to the QC2.
I am aiming to do an a/b later this year when the Gemini 2 will finally be available. Will try to share my impressions here.

Jun 19, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #53,622 of 62,670
Jun 19, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #53,623 of 62,670
Just landed and was able to test: MTW3, AZ80, PIS7-2 and Bose QC2. Was sitting aisle but ahead of turbine. After trying with music and podcasts , found the MTW3 to performed the best with ANC ON and Off. The passive seal was the best. The AZ and PI were tied for 2nd but the Bose could have improved with a different set of tips.
I was also recently on a flight and was surprised by how well the az80 worked.

I did have to adjust the anc optimisation though (a shame this isnt automatic really) but after some slight adjustment it really wasnt far off the bose qc2 for me - I also had the samsung buds 2 pro with me and wow the anc was really bad for me (mostly due to a bad fit ).

In fact because the comfort was soo much better with the az80, I used them instead of the qc2 during my flight (I really cant get a good fit with the qc2 but the auto tune/anc thingy still works well regardless )

The price is really working against Technics. If it wasnt for the crazy high price you could argue that they are the best buds on the market right now as they tick pretty much every box. They just do everything really well IMHO. The only thing missing is speak to chat (i got used to it with the buds 2 pro, Xiaomi Buds Pro (meh) and Linkbuds S).

Also.. Technics really have mastered Multipoint - Only manufacturers need to take note! (although the latest LG buds did a good job too).

Someone mentioned the Freebuds Pro 2 earlier in the thread and they are right - They also sound fantastic and the price is great. In fact, if we are talking price/performance you could argue that the Freebuds Pro 2 / Enco X2 are both great buys right now.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #53,625 of 62,670
The AZ80 at full MSRP in Canada is $400 which is quite steep. But more or less in line with Sony and Sennheiser. I suspect the XM5 might be over $400 in Canada.

Having said that I suspect they will need to adjust their price to compete as they have way less brand presence.

Did some comparison listening to Whole Lotta Love between the MTW3 and AZ80. I prefer the AZ80 as it was more musical to my ears, having more warmth but without loosing to much edge to the guitars. The MTW3 had more edge to the guitars but sounded more closed and clinical. So my preference is exactly that, preference, for others they might prefer the MTW3 presentation more. Neither is "better" except to the individual.

Maybe a better way to put the difference is I find the AZ80 to be effortless and the MTW3 to be a bit hard and controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back