Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 20, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #53,656 of 62,488
I havre a drawer full of cheap ChiFi knock- offs, and that's where they sit.
Fun to play with, they do make noise, but all distort; not sure that's healthy for one's hearing. Yes, they are fun, I must have over 70 cheapies now, but the 20 I have from Sennheiser, B/W, Sony, Bose, Technics and others, I rotate.
I have a similar drawer / shoebox and I start feeling bad about this future trash … hence I have really reduced my impulse buying. That being sad, awaiting that pro 18 / AP3 knock off today :wink:

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #53,658 of 62,488
OK listening to some Whitesnake, Here I go Again and Fleetwood Mac, The Chain.

The MTW3 sounds cleaner with both songs. The AZ80 sounds a bit further back in a concert while the MTW3 you closer to the front row. Guitars and cymbals have more crispness and edge on the Whitesnake song. Consequently I prefer the MTW3 for Whitesnake.

For Fleetwood Mac, The drums sounds a bit less hard hitting again as if I am a bit further back, but the song also feels more cohesive and immersive on the AZ80. While the MTW3 is just more detailed and harder hitting. But when the bass line kicks in half way through the song I prefer the AZ80 presentation more.

BTW I also tested the XM4 with these 2 songs and honestly it just falls behind. Cymbals get lost, guitars lack any bite, it sounds muddy and distant. If I use the concert analogy, the XM4 would be like sitting in the cheapy seats...

But if I was not a crazy person who buys expensive stuff just to see how it sounds, or could test this stuff out somewhere. If I already owned either MTW3 or AZ80 I would not rush out and buy the other product. While A/B testing shows the differences these both sound so good, I could easily just live with their sound.

So if you owned neither and like a bigger slightly vague sound with lots of atmosphere go AZ80. If you prefer a harder hitting more detailed in your face sound the the MTW3 would be the better choice.

Outside of the musical abilities. I find the MTW3 more secure in ear and the AZ80 slightly more comfortable but at the cost of being as secure. I have jogged with the MTW3 without having to touch them. I have not jogged with the AZ80 yet but am pretty sure I will be adjusting them.

The AZ80 has better ANC and Ambient bit not by much. The MTW3 on the other hand has one of the better wind settings so suffers from wind a bit less than the AZ80.

Hmm, as I typed away Kansas, Dust in the Wind started to play and it sounded amazing with either TWS, slightly softer and grander on the AZ80 and more detailed and clear on the MTW3...

Have to say I will have to make a choice soon as my wife is going to flip when she finds I bought this new pair. The XM4 is getting spanked so I think it's going away. Will have to do some testing with the GB2P next. But the fight between the MTW3 and AZ80 is going to be a close one! I think they both sound amazing and it's going to be hard to pick only one. Early leaning is the AZ80 because I like that grand sound but when I start listening to harder rock the MTW3 starts to take the lead... 😆

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #53,659 of 62,488

The MTW3 sounds cleaner with both songs. The AZ80 sounds a bit further back in a concert while the MTW3 you closer to the front row. Guitars and cymbals have more crispness and edge on the Whitesnake song. Consequently I prefer the MTW3 for Whitesnake.

For Fleetwood Mac, The drums sounds a bit less hard hitting again as if I am a bit further back, but the song also feels more cohesive and immersive on the AZ80. While the MTW3 is just more detailed and harder hitting. But when the bass line kicks in half way through the song I prefer the AZ80 presentation more.

BTW I also tested the XM4 with these 2 songs and honestly it just falls behind. Cymbals get lost, guitars lack any bite, it sounds muddy and distant. If I use the concert analogy, the XM4 would be like sitting in the cheapy seats...

But if I was not a crazy person who buys expensive stuff just to see how it sounds, or could test this stuff out somewhere. If I already owned either MTW3 or AZ80 I would not rush out and buy the other product. While A/B testing shows the differences these both sound so good, I could easily just live with their sound.

So if you owned neither and like a bigger slightly vague sound with lots of atmosphere go AZ80. If you prefer a harder hitting more detailed in your face sound the the MTW3 would be the better choice.

Outside of the musical abilities. I find the MTW3 more secure in ear and the AZ80 slightly more comfortable but at the cost of being as secure. I have jogged with the MTW3 without having to touch them. I have not jogged with the AZ80 yet but am pretty sure I will be adjusting them.

The AZ80 has better ANC and Ambient bit not by much. The MTW3 on the other hand has one of the better wind settings so suffers from wind a bit less than the AZ80.

Hmm, as I typed away Kansas, Dust in the Wind started to play and it sounded amazing with either TWS, slightly softer and grander on the AZ80 and more detailed and clear on the MTW3...

Have to say I will have to make a choice soon as my wife is going to flip when she finds I bought this new pair. The XM4 is getting spanked so I think it's going away. Will have to do some testing with the GB2P next. But the fight between the MTW3 and AZ80 is going to be a close one! I think they both sound amazing and it's going to be hard to pick only one. Early leaning is the AZ80 because I like that grand sound but when I start listening to harder rock the MTW3 starts to take the lead... 😆
There are ways to hide the buds, padwan. The force is with you.

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #53,660 of 62,488
HAHAHA :xf_cool: , my brain is feverishly thinking of what other gadgets I can sell off I don't care as much about! I also have a pair of Fiio FW3 coming in... But at least that pair is cheap LOL.

I will be going in to the office tomorrow. So will be dealing with the train. That may be a telling trip. I also have not done much phone calls with the AZ80 yet, so will also be another area that may be a tipping point.

Any suggestion on tips for the AZ80? all the included tips have a bit more wiggle to them than I would like. I think I have some spinfits kicking around I will try... Funny, these tips worked fine on the AZ60, but on this new model there is just more wiggle.

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #53,661 of 62,488

Which one is smaller in size? I like to sleep on the side so smaller size would probably be better. I don't want it pushing into the pillow.

I'm just waiting for the XM5 to enter the fray! Depending on how the early reviews are for it, I think it will be time to choose one of the 3.

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #53,662 of 62,488
MTW3 is a shallower fit for sure. Both stick out a bit though. The GB2P is my my most shallow TWS in regard to sticking out.

Someone mentioned using the Liberty 4 for side sleeping and I get where they are coming from. That TWS and the JBL Free 2 both worked pretty well on my side for sleeping.

I sleep on my back more than my side though as I have sleep apnea so have got used to sleeping on my back over the years, so alternate between what ever is my favorite at the time... LOL.

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #53,663 of 62,488
Starting to cycle through my tips, I am sure I will find the magic sauce... LOL.

Already found 1 pair that is more stable...

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #53,664 of 62,488
Starting to cycle through my tips, I am sure I will find the magic sauce... LOL.

Already found 1 pair that is more stable...
Even if you step up in size on the stock tips they aren't stable?

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #53,665 of 62,488
Went from large to extra large, even went the other direction to medium.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #53,666 of 62,488
MTW3 is a shallower fit for sure. Both stick out a bit though. The GB2P is my my most shallow TWS in regard to sticking out.

Someone mentioned using the Liberty 4 for side sleeping and I get where they are coming from. That TWS and the JBL Free 2 both worked pretty well on my side for sleeping.

I sleep on my back more than my side though as I have sleep apnea so have got used to sleeping on my back over the years, so alternate between what ever is my favorite at the time... LOL.
I really liked the MTW3 but was having quality issues which seemed to be common from what I had read on Reddit and myself having the same problem.

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #53,667 of 62,488
I really liked the MTW3 but was having quality issues which seemed to be common from what I had read on Reddit and myself having the same problem.
What issues did you have with the MOmentum3

Jun 20, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #53,668 of 62,488
To anyone with the Devialet Gemini 1 how does it hold up against more recent releases from a sound POV
They are holding up, I keep them in my rotation. The ANC works very well for me as the tips do fit perfectly and as such the passive isolation is very good. Tuning wise I enjoy Devialet approach (just a sidenote the Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 also are tuned by Devialet )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back