Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #40,546 of 62,751
Dude, I haven't really gone too in depth in my searching but where are these beta upgrades? I only see a firmware upgrade thru the app, which I am updated to the latest. I checked the Fiio site under "service" and the firmware and I don't see the utws5? I'm sure I'm missing something and have only tiny little chunks of time to do what I want..... 3 kids ❤️.... Any help would be awesome
You have to ask them for it and I think it’s only for android. Sadly, I’m on iOS. Here’s the link to that thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ed-with-independent-ak4332-dac.959856/page-39

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #40,547 of 62,751
I've had them both and I can for sure say the TW2 second gen are better than the first gen. DEFINITELY not worth getting the first gen even for half price IMO. Shure fixed all the bugs with the second gen. I also just picked up the UTWS5 and that works great too, but no transparency mode or EQ for them on iOS. If @guitarizt isn't just a clever name, you need to at least try the Shure adapters v2 :L3000:
Thanks, I'll think about pulling the trigger on them. It's weird cause a lot of reviews on yt and from searching google are meh about them, but headfi seems like the gold standard. This site pointed me to the srh-840s, and looks like it's pointing me to the aonic 215 tw2's. The only other thing is the technic az60s. Idk how to decide. =[

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #40,549 of 62,751
Thanks, I'll think about pulling the trigger on them. It's weird cause a lot of reviews on yt and from searching google are meh about them, but headfi seems like the gold standard. This site pointed me to the srh-840s, and looks like it's pointing me to the aonic 215 tw2's. The only other thing is the technic az60s. Idk how to decide. =[
I use my TW2 second gen with the SE846s and they blow away the AZ60s. I did have the AZ60 and 70s for a short time and let them go. The 60s, for me, had a lot of sibilance that I did try to EQ out, but to no avail. I do think there are better options out there for a straight TWS set. Really depends on what is most important to you. Sound, ANC, or mic for calls.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #40,550 of 62,751
Appreciate this. I will find out at some point today. Thanks man
Happy to help :) I just want that ambient mode then these things will get closer to what the TW2s are.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #40,552 of 62,751
The adjustable ambient mode on the TW2 is very well executed and super clean. I also appreciate the auto on/off when you play and pause - very useful.
Totally agree. Those are two of my favorite features on them!

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #40,553 of 62,751
In a nutshell it really all depends on what you want and need.
The good: They are very comfortable and secure, ambient mode works perfectly, they are doing well for phone calls and the app with the EQ and customizable controls is great. They also have physical buttons so I like this much better than touch controls.
The bad: They have ear hooks, no ANC and the case is very big. The default option will be to get them with the SE215 and they sound good, like wired SE215 but it's not a game changer but definitely respectable in the TES realm.

Once you pair them with better IEMs you will be hard pressed finding any TWS to sound that good.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #40,555 of 62,751
Totally agree. Those are two of my favorite features on them!
Those are some great features for sure. The tw2 is very tempting, if I didn't already own 2 pairs of utws3 and the 2 pin utws5 I would have already purchased the tw2. I'm hoping the ambient mode of utws5 is at least halfway usable in the near future. I really like the tonality of the internal dac and the power on these lil fellas and haven't had any issues with them yet.... Thankfully. For over $200 usd the tw2's are a bit more pricey but I do love the Shure app and I'm sure they nailed it tonality wise, plus the well working features. Nice! This group is toxic man.. Lol...

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #40,557 of 62,751
Those are some great features for sure. The tw2 is very tempting, if I didn't already own 2 pairs of utws3 and the 2 pin utws5 I would have already purchased the tw2. I'm hoping the ambient mode of utws5 is at least halfway usable in the near future. I really like the tonality of the internal dac and the power on these lil fellas and haven't had any issues with them yet.... Thankfully. For over $200 usd the tw2's are a bit more pricey but I do love the Shure app and I'm sure they nailed it tonality wise, plus the well working features. Nice! This group is toxic man.. Lol...
I bought both the 2 Pin and the MMCX UTWS5s. But I ordered that MMCX to 2 Pin adapter so if that works well and doesn't feel too long, I may not need both. I do also have the Shure TW2 but a while back I tried the adapter on them and it just made the fit wonky. I bet you can flip those UTWS3s if you wanted on eBay or someplace if you wanted. How do you think I keep my addition going?! I'm still rockin' the UTWS5's today with those Thieaudio L4s and man, they really do shine in a way nothing comes close. I do love my SE846 but the L4s are just not as intrusive in my ears. The only TWS imo that comes close is the Noble Fokus Pro, which are just sick. Really hope that's where they all head. Moondrop, Thieaudio and the like need to create some pure IEMs that are TW like the Fokus. They can all compete to make the perfect bud. One can dream?

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #40,559 of 62,751

Users who are viewing this thread

Back