Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #40,516 of 62,752
One thing that is a deal breaker about the Fiil T2 Pro, is that it doesn't have AptX. Is there maybe an alternative to the Fiil T2 Pro? Or should I wait for CES 2022 to see new products?

Good at this time to wait and see but it is not like the Fiil are that expensive though. Plus stuff is announced but that doesn't mean it is coming out right away. Some but still a decent wait for much of the stuff.

Speaking of CES, it is chaos due to Covid as the companies are dropping out left and right. It will a zoom thing again at this rate. :)

Based on my obsessive research and what sound I seem to prefer, I bought the Variations this weekend. Looking forward to receiving. FA9s went back. Something about the sound is just too warm. Soundstage was great, but other than that, they were a little boring. The Thieaudio Legacy 4 are still here and they're very nice IEM for the buck. They have decent sub-bass with punch, great fit although the mids might be just a tad too high for me. Like you mentioned, I did wind up ordering the Fiio FH9 to try out. Very curious if they're any better than the FA9 series. While using the Thieaudio and Fiio IEMs with the UTWS5 adapters I must say, the SE846 I have on the Shure TW2 second gen adapters still blow them away. Sound clarity, instrument separation, bass (could be the EQ) sounds so much better to me on the Shure setup.

Amazing how much better an IEM with a TWS adapter is over a straight TWS. The convenience of a TWS is still great, but honestly, I haven't picked up a TWS indoors at home for days.
Hope it works out. As for the Shure, it may just be better or have you tried other devices and see if there is any difference? Wonder where the hell Westone is. I know they got taken over but time for competing products. Maybe at CES.

And even semi-wired stuff is still a bit better. Need to try my Sport90BT vs. the CKS50TW. Sport90 has beaten out all the other TWS even w/o aptX. They just put good drivers and a nice chip in there. One of the AK4XXX series. Also has on board memeory which is what these adapters have got to do. There is as much room in the adapters than in the Sport90BT so put some memory in there as well. Maybe a new set of Shure adapters with ANC, ambient, 8GB memory, aptX Loseless, and 18 hours of battery :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #40,517 of 62,752
Good at this time to wait and see but it is not like the Fiil are that expensive though. Plus stuff is announced but that doesn't mean it is coming out right away. Some but still a decent wait for much of the stuff.

Speaking of CES, it is chaos due to Covid as the companies are dropping out left and right. It will a zoom thing again at this rate. :)

Hope it works out. As for the Shure, it may just be better or have you tried other devices and see if there is any difference? Wonder where the hell Westone is. I know they got taken over but time for competing products. Maybe at CES.

And even semi-wired stuff is still a bit better. Need to try my Sport90BT vs. the CKS50TW. Sport90 has beaten out all the other TWS even w/o aptX. They just put good drivers and a nice chip in there. One of the AK4XXX series. Also has on board memeory which is what these adapters have got to do. There is as much room in the adapters than in the Sport90BT so put some memory in there as well. Maybe a new set of Shure adapters with ANC, ambient, 8GB memory, aptX Loseless, and 18 hours of battery :)
Hopefully Lucid does Westone some justice or maybe they just wanted the tech.

I'll try the Shure buds with the Fiio adapters and see if I notice a difference. Fiio really needs to add passthrough to the UTWS5. That would be awesome.

The passive isolation is so good with the SE846, I don't even know if I'd notice a huge difference with ANC.

Those CKS50TW have multi-point. I didn't realize when I bought them! Works well between my iPhone and iPad.

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #40,518 of 62,752

I'll try the Shure buds with the Fiio adapters and see if I notice a difference. Fiio really needs to add passthrough to the UTWS5. That would be awesome.

The passive isolation is so good with the SE846, I don't even know if I'd notice a huge difference with ANC.

Those CKS50TW have multi-point. I didn't realize when I bought them! Works well between my iPhone and iPad.
These CKS50TW are piquing my interest. May I ask; do they have an app that allows for customizing EQ and, if so, how well do they respond to adjustments? TIA!

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #40,519 of 62,752
These CKS50TW are piquing my interest. May I ask; do they have an app that allows for customizing EQ and, if so, how well do they respond to adjustments? TIA!
Yep, there is an app. It's not the greatest for connection speed but it does work. It prompted me for a firmware update when I first paired them. Updated fast. There are EQ presets or you can customize. Mind you, they aren't high end, but for the price they're a very good value. I'm enjoying them for when I need to block out family chaos :wink:

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #40,520 of 62,752
Flossy Carter review of the AZ60 and 40.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #40,521 of 62,752

So the SE846 with the UTWS5 sound really really great. I think the Fiio adapters push more power into the SE846 and you definitely do not need EQ. If I turn off the EQ on the Shure adapters, have to push the volume up to get close (but not enough) of the same volume as the Fiio. With the Fiio adapters using the SE846, I can leave the EQ off and you can really hear the instrument separation on the Shure IEMs. I guess that extra power really helps. Maybe Shure limits the power output for US standard reasons. I'd say if you want EQ, pass-through and in my opinion a better snug fit, get the Shure TW2 with some Shure buds. If you want more power, wireless charging, go with the Fiio. The Fiio app is finicky, whereas the Shure app is much more refined. I have zero issues with it. Also, maybe because I have the 2 Pin and MMCX versions of the Fiio, they keep trying to connect at times when they're in the case and BOTH connected to my iPhone. Trying to figure out why. Still having fun over here but these are some observations. For those not wanting to shell out 900 bucks for the SE846, I can wholeheartedly say these Thieaudio L4s are pretty damn awesome at 200 bucks, but you'll need a 2-pin adapter. Outside of maybe instrument separation, I probably wouldn't have even purchased the SE846 buds after listening to these for the holiday weekend. The L4s have more sub-bass, soundstage is comparable. Good stuff for sure.

To sum it up and maybe repeat thoughts... If you want TWS adapters and have no need for pass-through and a very refined app for EQ (and probably other things I'm forgetting), get the Fiio and pair them with some sick IEMs, call it a day. No need to get something like the SE846. If you do want those things (personally, I'm a passthrough addict), then get the Shure TW2 second gen).

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #40,522 of 62,752
Glossy Carter review of the AZ60 and 40.

For the amount of times he says everything is a major major major go, I just can't always trust him anymore. Sorry Floss! :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #40,523 of 62,752
So the SE846 with the UTWS5 sound really really great. I think the Fiio adapters push more power into the SE846 and you definitely do not need EQ. If I turn off the EQ on the Shure adapters, have to push the volume up to get close (but not enough) of the same volume as the Fiio. With the Fiio adapters using the SE846, I can leave the EQ off and you can really hear the instrument separation on the Shure IEMs. I guess that extra power really helps. Maybe Shure limits the power output for US standard reasons. I'd say if you want EQ, pass-through and in my opinion a better snug fit, get the Shure TW2 with some Shure buds. If you want more power, wireless charging, go with the Fiio. The Fiio app is finicky, whereas the Shure app is much more refined. I have zero issues with it. Also, maybe because I have the 2 Pin and MMCX versions of the Fiio, they keep trying to connect at times when they're in the case and BOTH connected to my iPhone. Trying to figure out why. Still having fun over here but these are some observations. For those not wanting to shell out 900 bucks for the SE846, I can wholeheartedly say these Thieaudio L4s are pretty damn awesome at 200 bucks, but you'll need a 2-pin adapter. Outside of maybe instrument separation, I probably wouldn't have even purchased the SE846 buds after listening to these for the holiday weekend. The L4s have more sub-bass, soundstage is comparable. Good stuff for sure.

To sum it up and maybe repeat thoughts... If you want TWS adapters and have no need for pass-through and a very refined app for EQ (and probably other things I'm forgetting), get the Fiio and pair them with some sick IEMs, call it a day. No need to get something like the SE846. If you do want those things (personally, I'm a passthrough addict), then get the Shure TW2 second gen).
Glad I'm not alone re: the connection in case issue. I reported the same issue with my UTWS5 in the UTWS5 thread. I'm also using them with the SE846 and the SQ is excellent. But lots of little bugs, IMHO.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #40,524 of 62,752
Glad I'm not alone re: the connection in case issue. I reported the same issue with my UTWS5 in the UTWS5 thread. I'm also using them with the SE846 and the SQ is excellent. But lots of little bugs, IMHO.
Ah cool. I didn't check that other thread. I just reset both pairs and will give it another go. Maybe there's a firmware update in the future to fix this.

Loving them with the SE846. Still love the Shure adapters, but I do have to EQ them and pump up the db to hit the Fiio sound.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #40,525 of 62,752
Ah cool. I didn't check that other thread. I just reset both pairs and will give it another go. Maybe there's a firmware update in the future to fix this.

Loving them with the SE846. Still love the Shure adapters, but I do have to EQ them and pump up the db to hit the Fiio sound.
@xSDMx found your thread. I'll chime in and stir the pot :wink:

Did you get the beta? I'll have to ask to try that.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #40,526 of 62,752
Does anyone have experience with the JVC HA-FW1000T?
1640646134627.png

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #40,529 of 62,752
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #40,530 of 62,752

Users who are viewing this thread

Back