Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 13, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #37,397 of 62,099
I've been using mine for work and no one has complained. Someone send me their number and we can do a test ....
The easiest way to test the mic is just to record a voice memo. You should be able hear the issue with the microphones pretty easily. Since the ANC depends on the mics, I'm also wondering if ANC has been negatively impacted. This is very frustrating because I had just found tips that work well with these earphones (ePro horns) and decided they would be my daily driver -- and now a firmware update seems to have screwed up the mics.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #37,399 of 62,099
I agree. The EQs do not have very many issues. Just the main issue of the popping sound we both had. Seriously considering picking up the sand color to see if they have the same popping sound. Someone stop me!
Even now after I discovered myself in this one track, I’ll still don’t hear it in my other tracks I usually listen to. Also I switched ANC off most of the time - just in case till it get fixed.
Yeah it’s a bug 🐜 but it’s a much less severe bug I had with the WFXM3 for month. Also the crap/pop while unlock the iPhone with the Apple Watch is gone…

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #37,400 of 62,099
The easiest way to test the mic is just to record a voice memo. You should be able hear the issue with the microphones pretty easily. Since the ANC depends on the mics, I'm also wondering if ANC has been negatively impacted. This is very frustrating because I had just found tips that work well with these earphones (ePro horns) and decided they would be my daily driver -- and now a firmware update seems to have screwed up the mics.
Yep. That's what I did. I do that every time I get a new set of TWS. It's my phone call test :)

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #37,401 of 62,099
Sep 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #37,402 of 62,099
Even now after I discovered myself in this one track, I’ll still don’t hear it in my other tracks I usually listen to. Also I switched ANC off most of the time - just in case till it get fixed.
Yeah it’s a bug 🐜 but it’s a much less severe bug I had with the WFXM3 for month. Also the crap/pop while unlock the iPhone with the Apple Watch is gone…
I think like 20 pages back, yes, I exaggerate, I picked up a new pair at the B&O store here. No issues so far! Well, there is one, but I'm still determining if it's just how they work or if I have a real issue.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #37,404 of 62,099
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #37,405 of 62,099
Nura True and Nuraloops are 2 different sounding headphones. Im still getting used to Trues sound, its bigger soundstage but apparantelly less tight bass. I was more impressed with the loops, their accuracy, how easy it was to pinpoint instruments, but think the Trues need some aclimatization time and if such thing really exists, playing time (aka burn-in). But loops are top on the list for now.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #37,406 of 62,099
Received my Shure SE846s and put them on on my Shure Aonic 215 gen 2 adapters. Wow. The SE846s aren't bass heavy in IMO (not supposed to be) but the fit, passive noise isolation, soundstage, instrument separation etc. really really great. Don't get me wrong, they DO have bass. But it's tight, clear and punchy. Even better after a tiny bit of bass EQ. I'll be using these all day, testing on Zoom calls, the usual deal. Definitely the best sounding of my lot (4 drivers), but $$$. I listen to mostly hard rock and metal all day (obsessed with the new Iron Maiden), and I'm a very happy camper. Hearing things in the mixes that these old ears have never heard before. Having zero issues with the Shure gen 2 adapters, whereas I had a ton of issues with the gen 1.
Thanks for posting and for being the guinea pig. I think there is a TW2 in my future and a stop at B&H the next time I am in the city. Only question is which IEMs do I use them with (425, 535, second set of 846? Where is the Aonic 8??). I may end up just putting the 425s on them since they were always my work IEMs.

I really like the SE846 with the ADI-2 DAC FS and Dragonfly Cobalt so have always stuck to wired for those. I have also been stopping myself from ordering a second set and trying to wait for a successor (if there ever is one). That is how much I enjoy them for all the reasons you noted. They have plenty of bass for me and sound very natural to me. I get that they are not everyone's cup of tea but I am very treble sensitive and find these to sound very natural to my ears. The SE846 is very sensitive and picky so you need an amp with a very low output impedance. Glad to hear they work well with the TW2.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #37,407 of 62,099
Thanks for posting and for being the guinea pig. I think there is a TW2 in my future and a stop at B&H the next time I am in the city. Only question is which IEMs do I use them with (425, 535, second set of 846? Where is the Aonic 8??). I may end up just putting the 425s on them since they were always my work IEMs.

I really like the SE846 with the ADI-2 DAC FS and Dragonfly Cobalt so have always stuck to wired for those. I have also been stopping myself from ordering a second set and trying to wait for a successor (if there ever is one). That is how much I enjoy them for all the reasons you noted. They have plenty of bass for me and sound very natural to me. I get that they are not everyone's cup of tea but I am very treble sensitive and find these to sound very natural to my ears. The SE846 is very sensitive and picky so you need an amp with a very low output impedance. Glad to hear they work well with the TW2.
Yeah, I'm really impressed with the setup so far. I had the Moondrop Blessing 2 but they just never fit in the case with the Shure adapters. These do, obviously. Those MB2s were great for sure. I prefer this Shure setup and fit. Over-researched before getting the 846s. I read the Aonic 5s are eh and the 425, 535 aren't what the 846 are, so I bit the bullet. Sadly no 8s. I don't think the 846s were meant for our home listening, more for live sound, but that's okay, I'm very happy! Put on some Etymotic double flange tips I had and they really shine. Transparency and the mics work great indoors when needed. Haven't gone outdoors with them yet. Mind you, I'm only using an iPhone 12 all day with these.

Can't you just hot swap yours or is that a pain?

I don't know if B&H has them yet. They're always late to the party it seems when it comes to some of these brands. Every time I want to buy from them it says "coming soon." I got mine from Shure directly. They shipped same day. Although, I think Amazon has them now.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #37,408 of 62,099
Yeah, I'm really impressed with the setup so far. I had the Moondrop Blessing 2 but they just never fit in the case with the Shure adapters. These do, obviously. Those MB2s were great for sure. I prefer this Shure setup and fit. Over-researched before getting the 846s. I read the Aonic 5s are eh and the 425, 535 aren't what the 846 are, so I bit the bullet. Sadly no 8s. I don't think the 846s were meant for our home listening, more for live sound, but that's okay, I'm very happy! Put on some Etymotic double flange tips I had and they really shine. Transparency and the mics work great indoors when needed. Haven't gone outdoors with them yet. Mind you, I'm only using an iPhone 12 all day with these.

Can't you just hot swap yours or is that a pain?

I don't know if B&H has them yet. They're always late to the party it seems when it comes to some of these brands. Every time I want to buy from them it says "coming soon." I got mine from Shure directly. They shipped same day. Although, I think Amazon has them now.
I can swap and its very easy. I am just lazy. Agree with you on the "live sound" point. I also have 15+ years of brain burn in with Shure IEMs so I am biased on how I feel about these.

Youre right about B&H...they are preorder only. I usually try to buy local from Audio 46 or B&H (I live in NY). Just ordered the TW2 directly from Shure. Looks like my SE846 will be joining my true wireless rotation.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #37,409 of 62,099
I can swap and its very easy. I am just lazy. Agree with you on the "live sound" point. I also have 15+ years of brain burn in with Shure IEMs so I am biased on how I feel about these.

Youre right about B&H...they are preorder only. I usually try to buy local from Audio 46 or B&H (I live in NY). Just ordered the TW2 directly from Shure. Looks like my SE846 will be joining my true wireless rotation.
Awesome. Looking forward to hearing what you think. Ex-East Coaster here. Born in Queens. Subway Series all weekend. Yep, lonely die-hard Mets fan in a sea of Yankees fan family members. Growing up was rough.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #37,410 of 62,099
Just got this email. Looks like the older Jabra models will be on sale tomorrow (40% off). Fine print clearly states that the new Elite 3 and 7 models are excluded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-174446.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-174446.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back