Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #32,071 of 62,573
Realized I could just do a quick screenshot instead. Here's that same screen on my OnePlus 8T when using the AZ70W and Falcon Pro.
Screenshot_20210418-175708.jpg
Screenshot_20210418-175731.jpg
In my case, the HD Audio option isn't selectable from this menu (I have to go into D.O. to adjust that setting), but technically available on both codecs.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #32,072 of 62,573
Also have a different and supposedly better cable.
May just get the bts20 for 30 or 40 so they can double as tws.
If you are going to go with more sensitive drivers, I would definitely step up to the UTWS3 as it has low output impedance. @ClieOS measured his at approx 1.5 ohms.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-tws-neckband-bt-cable-adapter-thread.920709/post-16070752

The CF01 was the worst of the bunch at 20 ohms.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-tws-neckband-bt-cable-adapter-thread.920709/post-15858133
What app is showing that?
FYI that says the high definition audio codec being used is 'Apt-X', not 'Apt-X HD'. Gotta read the part past the ':'.

@cleg just posted a brief comparison vid of the BT20S, UTWS3 and CF01.
I gathered all 3 most popular TWS adapters in one video, in case if someone is looking for the comparison

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #32,073 of 62,573
Of what I can think of and what's available to you, I'd probably go with the Jabra, then. Least likelihood of an issue, known quantity, and easy tuning to like. Keep in mind they did add updates to include ANC and HearThrough a while ago, so they're very feature-similar to the EA75t....to the extend I'd recommend them over the 85t unless you needed that semi-open feel or wireless charging. EQ options in-app aren't great, but there's third party options out there to fill in the gaps.
I have the Jabra 75T Elite for about a year now, sound with and without HearThrough is good. But sometimes the connections drop and it can get quite irritating.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #32,074 of 62,573
I'm not sure my post was clear. IIRC, the Soundpeats T2 defaults to NORMAL (i.e., no ANC and no Transparency) when powered on.
yeah that's how it is now that I tried it. I guess it saves battery more but I prefer if things are remembered. I just find it silly the cycle is Normal - Passthrough - ANC

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #32,075 of 62,573
I think I'm about done. The money I saved from returning the MT I decided to put towards iems to see what I was missing.

This thread has made me discover my love of music as I have done a lot more listening as I tested out different buds.

Discovered a lot of great new and old music on my journey.

I think right now in The tws space the changes are iterative.
From 4 years ago until now the changes in battery life and sound quality and feature set is enormous.

Last 12 months the changes have really been small. Perhaps biggest change has been that budget models are producing sound that competes with the big boys. Something that seems to have started with iems a few years ago.

As for the Aria. Crinacle and others have said they have essentially same frequency response as starfields but with better sound stage and a but less dominant ant upper mods but maybe a bit warmer low end.
Also have a different and supposedly better cable.
May just get the bts20 for 30 or 40 so they can double as tws.
Based on the raving of the moondrop Stanfield at their price point I think I would need to scale up over 300$ to get a better resolving set and think there would be diminishing returns beyond that point.
Would sooner go cheap and get some different chi fi models that have very different sonic signatures that play better with certain genrws though I think the Aria will be a daily driver when I don't need to go wireless.

i hope you'll enjoy the Aria. I'm still using my original Kanas (not the pro version) paired with the BT20S Pro.. still one of the most enjoyable bass I've ever heard.

some IEMs that i have, i do prefer them with my other DAC/amp as they lose some "magic" when paired with the BT20S, not that they sound bad, it's just certain dynamics are just better on my amp with those.

some IEMs (like the Kanas) have no problem paired with dongles like the BT20S Pro

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #32,076 of 62,573
I have the Jabra 75T Elite for about a year now, sound with and without HearThrough is good. But sometimes the connections drop and it can get quite irritating.
I'd be irritated as well. For me, the biggest frustration is that any attempts to set up Link to reject an incoming call from interrupting me mid-conference currently do nothing. Not a good position to be in when you're the presenter.

Really need to figure that one out, but that comes with the territory of not being officially supported by the Link hardware/software suite. Can't blame Jabra for that.

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #32,077 of 62,573
My Samsung phone has no settings like that. Developer Options let me change between available codecs but no on off switch. Good to know the fiio has apt hd as it isn't mentioned. Didn't even know was possible on 3020 chip.
What ever BT Adaptor you end up getting, are you planning to use it with a DAP or a phone other than your Samsung phone? IIRC, Samsung phones still don't support AP'TXHD. Before I posted this reply i did search XDA for a workaround for a few mins FWIW, no luck. however, if you have root, are using a different mod etc then I suppose anything is possible. But thought i'd ask the question, especially if it narrows anything down for you and potentially saves money etc.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #32,078 of 62,573
In addition to lacking AptX HD, do the latest Snapdragon Samsung devices still not support TWS+?

First impressions of SoundPeats T2 are pretty good. Great fit though passive isolation is meh. Deep sub-bass, not as resonating as the Earfun Free Pro but tighter and less flabby than both the Earfun and TaoTronics 94. Mids/upper treble have some emphasis but not much treble extension. Soundstage is reasonably deep but not as wide as the Earfun Free Pro. Not really noticing any clipping issues with ANC so far, but the audio does seem to get a bit "touchy" for lack of a better word - like it's on the verge of clipping but held back by a limiter.

ANC is pretty good but rather hissy, such that after long periods of no music you'll start to think your fans are getting louder. Passive isolation is a tad mediocre with my fan in the background though. Ambient sound is pretty good but on the loud side that it will amplify background noise more than actual. Passes the piano-playing test with flying colours.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #32,079 of 62,573
What ever BT Adaptor you end up getting, are you planning to use it with a DAP or a phone other than your Samsung phone? IIRC, Samsung phones still don't support AP'TXHD. Before I posted this reply i did search XDA for a workaround for a few mins FWIW, no luck. however, if you have root, are using a different mod etc then I suppose anything is possible. But thought i'd ask the question, especially if it narrows anything down for you and potentially saves money etc.
For now my phone unless someone can point me to a dap that is not to expensive and allows me to stream music rather than just play stored music.

Also seems none of these adapters do aptx HD yet only aptx.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #32,080 of 62,573
In addition to lacking AptX HD, do the latest Snapdragon Samsung devices still not support TWS+?

First impressions of SoundPeats T2 are pretty good. Great fit though passive isolation is meh. Deep sub-bass, not as resonating as the Earfun Free Pro but tighter and less flabby than both the Earfun and TaoTronics 94. Mids/upper treble have some emphasis but not much treble extension. Soundstage is reasonably deep but not as wide as the Earfun Free Pro. Not really noticing any clipping issues with ANC so far, but the audio does seem to get a bit "touchy" for lack of a better word - like it's on the verge of clipping but held back by a limiter.

ANC is pretty good but rather hissy, such that after long periods of no music you'll start to think your fans are getting louder. Passive isolation is a tad mediocre with my fan in the background though. Ambient sound is pretty good but on the loud side that it will amplify background noise more than actual. Passes the piano-playing test with flying colours.
They support tws+. Also I have not tried aptx hd yet so don’t know if they support.

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #32,081 of 62,573
For now my phone unless someone can point me to a dap that is not to expensive and allows me to stream music rather than just play stored music.

If it's just aptX I would stick with your phone. My LG V60 is basically my "DAP".

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #32,083 of 62,573

Most DAPs are going to run you at least a few hundred dollars, FiiO daps I’ve tried and own the m15 all played music streaming with WiFi. A&K daps I’ve owned as well including a few year old one I have both streams and downloads music from Tidal or Qobuz without issue. Not sure a cheaper dap is worth it, your phone probably has a better Bluetooth in it. If your using the dac/amp for plug in that might be a different story. Although dragonfly dac/amp dongle might be better then many cheap daps, I only notice a difference when you get into the ones that hit the $400-500 plus range. Since you are paying for essentially a phone like device with a dac/amp built into it.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #32,084 of 62,573
Anyone pair the KXXS with UTWS3? I've heard the BT20 doesn't have enough power, but I read the UTWS3 has more power?
Still don't think it'll generate enough current for the KXXS' dynamic driver to do a whole lot. Same issue I had when trying to run the Kanas Pro from the TRN neckband adapters. They'll work, just not as well as I'd want them to.
Most DAPs are going to run you at least a few hundred dollars, FiiO daps I’ve tried and own the m15 all played music streaming with WiFi. A&K daps I’ve owned as well including a few year old one I have both streams and downloads music from Tidal or Qobuz without issue. Not sure a cheaper dap is worth it, your phone probably has a better Bluetooth in it. If your using the dac/amp for plug in that might be a different story. Although dragonfly dac/amp dongle might be better then many cheap daps, I only notice a difference when you get into the ones that hit the $400-500 plus range. Since you are paying for essentially a phone like device with a dac/amp built into it.
HiBy R3 Pro/Saber and Hidisz AP80 would both be worth considering for budget solutions, but I fully understand where @Canabuc is coming from and trying to take careful steps to provide good education without also enabling them in the process.

Bruised two ribs and a pectoral muscle this weekend, so unwillingly confined to the bed for a couple days. I'll get some music therapy for sure, but wouldn't mind a little intellectual distraction here if someone's willing.

Any obscure TWS-related topics someone wants me to dig into and try to decode for the layman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back