Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #32,086 of 62,776
So washed my KZ S2 TWS, which i liked for the price, and they are done. I've been reading the threads, but whats good for under $150 if I can't use the UTWS3 with my KXXS?
What sort of sound signature are you looking for, what control/communication features are must-haves or must-nots?

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #32,087 of 62,776
Still don't think it'll generate enough current for the KXXS' dynamic driver to do a whole lot. Same issue I had when trying to run the Kanas Pro from the TRN neckband adapters. They'll work, just not as well as I'd want them to.
I have the Kanas Pro, and that is true. It sounds better when driven from higher current source. Something with a stronger driveability than a typical smartphone.

This is usually the case with dynamic drivers.

This is why I always had suspicition of TWS with dynic drivers not being driven to full potential.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #32,088 of 62,776
I have the Kanas Pro, and that is true. It sounds better when driven from higher current source. Something with a stronger driveability than a typical smartphone.

This is usually the case with dynamic drivers.

This is why I always had suspicition of TWS with dynic drivers not being driven to full potential.
Wholeheartedly agree. Wish the idea of all BAs being super efficient were true as well, but you know what they say about absolutes.

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #32,090 of 62,776
In addition to lacking AptX HD, do the latest Snapdragon Samsung devices still not support TWS+?

First impressions of SoundPeats T2 are pretty good. Great fit though passive isolation is meh. Deep sub-bass, not as resonating as the Earfun Free Pro but tighter and less flabby than both the Earfun and TaoTronics 94. Mids/upper treble have some emphasis but not much treble extension. Soundstage is reasonably deep but not as wide as the Earfun Free Pro. Not really noticing any clipping issues with ANC so far, but the audio does seem to get a bit "touchy" for lack of a better word - like it's on the verge of clipping but held back by a limiter.

ANC is pretty good but rather hissy, such that after long periods of no music you'll start to think your fans are getting louder. Passive isolation is a tad mediocre with my fan in the background though. Ambient sound is pretty good but on the loud side that it will amplify background noise more than actual. Passes the piano-playing test with flying colours.
My full review here too

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #32,091 of 62,776
What sort of sound signature are you looking for, what control/communication features are must-haves or must-nots?

I overall like the KXXS warm signature but would like a bit more airyness and clarity/detail. Standard bluetooth fuction is fine, ANC would be a bonus. I thought KZ S2 would pretty good sound for $30, but build quality was a bit low and couldn't fit foam eartips in the case.

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #32,092 of 62,776
I overall like the KXXS warm signature but would like a bit more airyness and clarity/detail. Standard bluetooth fuction is fine, ANC would be a bonus. I thought KZ S2 would pretty good sound for $30, but build quality was a bit low and couldn't fit foam eartips in the case.
So perhaps more instrument separation and a cleaner midrange? How are you with the KXXS' bass response?

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #32,093 of 62,776
So perhaps more instrument separation and a cleaner midrange? How are you with the KXXS' bass response?
Exactly. I think the lack of seperation and detail limits the sound stage a bit. Bass is fine; the KZ had a bit more impact, but I think the KXXS has more depth. I have it slightly EQ'd up on my ES100.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #32,094 of 62,776
It's fine. the KZ had a bit more impact, but I think the KXXS has more depth. I have it slightly EQ'd up on my ES100.
I have similar listening notes. MD's bass representation is more neutral when compared to KZ's house sound.

I don't like to recommend stuff I haven't personally run, but you may end up quite happy with the Status Between Pro. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on mine to show up, so can't speak on first-hand experience as to just how much of a difference the additional BAs or Status' tuning choice makes. If it's remotely close to a budget version of the Noble Falcon Pro, though...

Try to ignore the aesthetics at first, but the Kinera YH802 might be an interesting pair to mess with if you've already tried KZ's TWS. Seems like they do a lot of fun tunings as well and you'll certainly have a conversation piece since every pair is hand-painted.

Of what I've tried, the JBL Club Pro+ is the closest to Moondrop single-DD sound I've come across. It's also currently $50 over your max, unfortunately. If you can stretch just a little more, that's what I would suggest for you. Checks off the most boxes, at least.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #32,095 of 62,776
BT20s Pro is on sale today at TRN's official AE store. Looks like the adapters are as well. One more day left, but current pricing is $55 before coupons and adapters for any other connectors you'd need are just over $7 a pop. Would be a good time to buy for those who were interested.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #32,097 of 62,776
I've been trying freebuds pro this afternoon. Way too much low frequencies and lack of highs. After eqing them in wavelet they sound better but they are so thin, unatural and weaker in clarity compared to AZ70. The only pro is they are much more comfortable to wear, Technics are a pain, even though I tweaked them with azla shorts and some sponge and now they are more glued. Azlas cause irritation to my ears (as well as spinfits) so I tried washing them with soap and cleaning with alcohol, and it got better.
Maybe I should get rid of both and wait for something else :beyersmile:

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #32,098 of 62,776
thanks might order a pair for my non-audiophile buddy. he's never heard anything other than "gas station" quality audio equipment (those $3 buds they have next to the energy drinks)
You're going to make his brain short-circuit. I did something similar with the Soundcore Q30 and a friend of mine. Plan to let him demo the NFP and DK-3001 Pro next time they're over.

It's fun to share, but it's a little like taking the red pill. No going back, at least not for me.
I've been trying freebuds pro this afternoon. Way too much low frequencies and lack of highs. After eqing them in wavelet they sound better but they are so thin, unatural and weaker in clarity compared to AZ70. The only pro is they are much more comfortable to wear, Technics are a pain, even though I tweaked them with azla shorts and some sponge and now they are more glued. Azlas cause irritation to my ears (as well as spinfits) so I tried washing them with soap and cleaning with alcohol, and it got better.
The AZ70W may have spoiled you a bit too much with its brightness-done-right tuning. Man, that thing is so technically good.

You might have to go Noble, bud. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else that's comparable on technicalities and that sort of upper-midrange clarity. I'm in a similar boat to you where a lot of the DD tunings within these TWS isn't very well-controlled. Maybe those ADV M5 would be up your alley as I seem to remember Japanese tunings meet your goals a little more consistently.

On the tips, though, I used to have the same irritation issues. Went on a sabbatical and now I can at least use SFs where I couldn't before, but my ears prefer the Final E TWS ones by a country mile. They just never seem to irritate. Still waiting on the AZLA, but I'll be sure to comment if my experience echoes yours.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #32,099 of 62,776
Agree the treble is rolled off but it is no more low than any other tws outside the Technics or Sony. It is a very mids centred sound with good bass.
My equing I turn down from 200 to 500 1 db
And turn up 1k 1 db and 4k through 16k about 3 db.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #32,100 of 62,776
You're going to make his brain short-circuit. I did something similar with the Soundcore Q30 and a friend of mine. Plan to let him demo the NFP and DK-3001 Pro next time they're over.

It's fun to share, but it's a little like taking the red pill. No going back, at least not for me.

The AZ70W may have spoiled you a bit too much with its brightness-done-right tuning. Man, that thing is so technically good.

You might have to go Noble, bud. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else that's comparable on technicalities and that sort of upper-midrange clarity. I'm in a similar boat to you where a lot of the DD tunings within these TWS isn't very well-controlled. Maybe those ADV M5 would be up your alley as I seem to remember Japanese tunings meet your goals a little more consistently.

On the tips, though, I used to have the same irritation issues. Went on a sabbatical and now I can at least use SFs where I couldn't before, but my ears prefer the Final E TWS ones by a country mile. They just never seem to irritate. Still waiting on the AZLA, but I'll be sure to comment if my experience echoes yours.
Maybe you are right :beyersmile: but to be honest I don't know if japanese sound is my way, these just make me feel good when I listen to music with them probably because they awaken some memories. I tend to prefer british signature but leaving out tuning, the freebuds don't sound "almost-hi-fi" as az70s do, to my ears: the bass itself is louder but less tight (eq'd or not), strings are muffled, cymbals are fuzzy etc... It's a small thing because huaweis sound good after all and I could prefer them for practicality.
Nobles were my first choice 3 months ago, but here in Europe are expensive and now that I know of their v-shape I wouldn't risk.
Didn't know of ADV M5, they look sweet but without audio passthrough is a no-go.
I'll probably keep technics waiting for the upcoming sony tws.
Agree the treble is rolled off but it is no more low than any other tws outside the Technics or Sony. It is a very mids centred sound with good bass.
My equing I turn down from 200 to 500 1 db
And turn up 1k 1 db and 4k through 16k about 3 db.
You would shiver if I told you how much I turned up and down :sweat_smile: and they are still darker than az70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back