Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #5,326 of 5,506

Quote:
I suggest taking a look at my 3 amp comparison :)
The ZO2 was the first amp I decided to keep and in fact enjoy
It not only brings amazing bass with no compromise, but also brings a proper richness to the sound - this is the main reason I've kept it and can't live without it.
I charge my ZO2 every 2 days - as I use it 24/7

-> i never was an amp nor cable guy
With my ZO2 I became an amp person + a custom made  LOD  interconnect :p

...still waiting on mine to show up..............waiting
FiiO E11 until then.  :)

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #5,327 of 5,506
How would you guys compare the ZO2 to either the HifiMan EF2A or the Fiio E17?
I'm goign to get an amp soon, but I'm not sure which to choose!
ph34r.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #5,329 of 5,506

Quote:
Funny, these are more tolerable to read than the headphone reviews. Oh wait, I take that back, first and last reviews are not so well, except for the recommendations since that's where they would excel sadly enough, but for the price every other headphone does better.

I do have a lingering question now though (for anyone obviously), which company can't you stand?

BEATS or BOSE?

Oh hey! they start with a B!

I don't hate either company, they're just out to make money like everyone else (although I find Beats' marketing schemes annoying). Who I can't stand are the masses that purchase these products, rave about them, and then dismiss people like us who are "not wearing the Beats" as the ignorant ones.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5,330 of 5,506

Quote:
I don't hate either company, they're just out to make money like everyone else (although I find Beats' marketing schemes annoying). Who I can't stand are the masses that purchase these products, rave about them, and then dismiss people like us who are "not wearing the Beats" as the ignorant ones.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?"

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #5,331 of 5,506
If you like to have impactful bass, the general consensus is the ZO's.

The latest I've heard about beats: "when I put them on it was all like... Echo!!"
Since when was excessive reverberating sound a good thing in headphones anyway... Well, whatever rows their boat.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #5,332 of 5,506

Quote:
If you like to have impactful bass, the general consensus is the ZO's.
The latest I've heard about beats: "when I put them on it was all like... Echo!!"
Since when was excessive reverberating sound a good thing in headphones anyway... Well, whatever rows their boat.

impact full - I would say bass-hungry needs :p!

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #5,337 of 5,506

Quote:
Yes.. it really is... I honestly didn't realize that headphone amps can actually alter the headphones' profile this way.  Enhancing it and bringing it to its full potential is what I understood portable amps usage to be. But that gizmo-thingy.. SRH440 turned into MegaBass with Clearity..  Put to shame the Studios, the Pros, and even the XB500's... 

Though I wonder how the XB's, Studios and Pros would sound under that amp.. Probably nothing but bass.

On another note, I had another pleasure at re-auditioning the HD800's (yes, those $1500 Senns), and did a 1 to 1 with the Shures while testing with an acoustic track (CD) and properly amped... fogot the amp model (but it was a Monster)   And you know what, the Shures hold up nicely... But....  There is simply no contest..

I have 2 friends with XB500s and one with the Beats Pros. Unfortunately, they were stolen from his room, but before then, I did test it with my ZO1; On normal contour levels (1-8), it actually made them sound ok, with some treble and even the mids coming out a little, but my basshead friend wanted more: I put it on max (32) and he loved it; nothing but bass. Suprisingly very little distortion also until you crank the volume extremely high. 
The XB500's gave me a headache to begin with, so I couldn't listen to them with the maxed out contour, but my friends said that it sounded incredible, which probably means no treble or mids.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #5,338 of 5,506
I really want to buy the ZO2 and see what it can really do for me, but for now I just got my E11. Sadly enough it stopped working and won't turn on for me which is a real shame. Now I roll unapmed and it bothers me to the bone.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #5,339 of 5,506

Quote:
Shame on real companies and their lack of advertising. I've never seen a Grado, Shure, Beyer, Denon, etc. on a store shelf.

Agreed. Although, stores do stock other Denon products, such as their A-V receivers.

The truth of the matter is the headphone market is small, and with "big name" brands such as Beats, Bose, and Skullcandy amounting for 95% of the sales (assumption, don't quote me on that), there's just not enough incentive for companies such as Grado, Shure, and Beyer to spend money on advertising and to sell in stores.

And let's face it, when confronted with the opportunity to buy some Beats or a pair of cans from a company they've never heard of, people will choose the former.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5,340 of 5,506

Quote:
Agreed. Although, stores do stock other Denon products, such as their A-V receivers.

The truth of the matter is the headphone market is small, and with "big name" brands such as Beats, Bose, and Skullcandy amounting for 95% of the sales (assumption, don't quote me on that), there's just not enough incentive for companies such as Grado, Shure, and Beyer to spend money on advertising and to sell in stores.

And let's face it, when confronted with the opportunity to buy some Beats or a pair of cans from a company they've never heard of, people will choose the former.

It's really a pity because iPod, iPhone, and other MP3 players are skyrocketing in popularity, and you need headphones to get any real sound out of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back