Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #5,146 of 5,506

Quote:
With what the Beats line made people do, i.e. spend copious amounts of money on visually appealing headphones, hopefully some of the Big Fat Companies design somewhat more stylish and mainstream-y yet still audiophile-y headphones. That kind of market is just so big to not capitalize it. Sure there's always the loyal, will drop any price buyers (e.g. like what the HD700, or Hfiman planars), but why not just expand into those kinds of market too? And it would make it more interesting too, IMO.

Monster's just appealing to teens and what they would initially like to hear. Reprogramming their heads to like neutral sound is gonna cost $$s and neutral headphones are also gonna cost more $$s, with not as many people interested in buying.. But that's not going to work because as soon as Monster admits that their colored sound is not as desirable, people are going to start flocking to the other real audio companies..

Can't blame Monster, I'd blame audiophile companies for failing to please massive teen audiences who try to fit in with one another. Just make the headphones look more stylish, it's really not that hard (looking at beyerdynamic)

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #5,147 of 5,506

Quote:
Monster's just appealing to teens and what they would initially like to hear. Reprogramming their heads to like neutral sound is gonna cost $$s and neutral headphones are also gonna cost more $$s, with not as many people interested in buying.. But that's not going to work because as soon as Monster admits that their colored sound is not as desirable, people are going to start flocking to the other real audio companies..

Can't blame Monster, I'd blame audiophile companies for failing to please massive teen audiences who try to fit in with one another. Just make the headphones look more stylish, it's really not that hard (looking at beyerdynamic)

Skullcandy is taking an interesting direction: being more audiophile yet still targets the visual concious. And maybe Vmoda too, but since their next headphones are basically "Head-Fones" (bad I know)... Maybe they can bring that good balance too. See all we see are this newer companies, not the big ones. But that always happens though. Just look at the global smartphone scene (not just in the US). Though I don't want to bring this further here, and if anybody tries to, I'll ignore it.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5,148 of 5,506
Beiber is a perfect example of what's wrong with the whole music industry now. It's more about the looks, the drama, the "swag" than the actual ability to sing. If Beiber didn't look like what seems to be an angel from a 12 year old girl's eyes, he wouldn't be a 1/10 of what he is now.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #5,149 of 5,506

Quote:

Looks are subjective.  I think beyers look great.  And guess what?  I think beats look like absolute **** minus the Mixrs, but I will never own a pair.  

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #5,150 of 5,506

Quote:
Looks are subjective.  I think beyers look great.

+1 to that. You can't go wrong with the tough appearance of Beyers. Gives off the feeling of built to last and really good comfort.

The real issue is the uneducated masses when it comes to sound quality. The average sheep consumer only cares for a handful of things in headphones right now : ANC (Bose actually did quite good, so not really a minus. But Beats...It's like an overly vented dynamic IEM), loudness (MOAR VOLUME=BETTER), and a thunderous bass(quality<quantity for these people).
That being said however, pulling up the picture of Dre using the M50s in the studio does shut down any argument put up against audiophile gear. Despite the overhyped status of the M50.

Now, back on track.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5,152 of 5,506
Adele= artist
Beyonce=artist
Adele was not pop when her 19 album came out. Rolling in the deep became a pop song. Her 21 album made her a pop star. Before she was just another great singer.
Same goes for beyonce. Just r&b when they started. But these women are artist. They write most of their hits and they can sing. Pop is only pop if it appeals to the masses. If it doesn't then it falls back into what ever genre it was lumped into before.
Same for beats line. They appeal to the masses. If dr dre did not indorse monster's line where would they be? Who knows but they are out selling every other head phone manufacture.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5,153 of 5,506

Quote:
This is exactly why I stated that each genre needs to be taken within its own context when discussing it, whether it be a serious discussion of the artist's musical talent (instrument playing and singing), or just shooting the schit around. And I absolutely disagree on the 'BS' comment in regards. For starters, it question begs the entire concept of Pop music industry. This BS or cheesiness you refer to is an inherit part of the pop industry. Granted that some artists and groups utilize it more than others, but nonetheless, it's still a part of it. As for Rap/Hip Hop and the likes, guess what, musical talent, rapping, song choice, lyrics and delivery is part of the whole. What do you think Delivery of the music is all about? If one rapper embodies the nature of the music in his songs and delivery than another rapper, that is a skill that directly effects the whole sound of the rap track.  So I say again, different genres within a different context.  The serious musical discussion as you present it appears to be subjective to acoustics and maybe soft music where the presence of the artist's attitude and personality isn't required to be as prominent as in Pop or Rap and Hip-Hop, and for that extent, rock music genre.

What you're saying is no different than stating that when discussing Heavy Metal or House music for example, Pop music has very little relevance. But of course this is nothing new. But I still don't see why people can't discuss Pop genre on whole as a serious music discussion, if they truly are discussing Pop music.

We're analyzing musicians right now, not stars or performers, if you are going to endorse an artist or just like him/her, then you might count on those factors if you want; but if we are discussing music, music is all we have to see. Don't you think so?

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5,154 of 5,506

Quote:
Kid at my school has these, the left cup literally fell off, so he's been wearing a pair of Mixrs, with only the right cup attached... Wonderful build quality, eh?

They seemed to be more solidly built when I used them at best buy for a bit. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #5,157 of 5,506
Quote:
Looks are subjective.  I think beyers look great.  And guess what?  I think beats look like absolute **** minus the Mixrs, but I will never own a pair.  

+1 to this as well. Love the way beyers look! Beats are just ugly in my eyes, with the worst being the studio, then the solo (by a thin margin). Haven't seen a mixr around yet so I will reserve that for later, if ever.

Quote:
Beiber is a perfect example of what's wrong with the whole music industry now. It's more about the looks, the drama, the "swag" than the actual ability to sing. If Beiber didn't look like what seems to be an angel from a 12 year old girl's eyes, he wouldn't be a 1/10 of what he is now.

More to your point, modern music videos are also a cursed product of broken music industry. There are good ones once in a while, but for most everything else... ugh.
And that 25million different celebrity magazines on the racks at convenience stores. I can't understand why girls are so into that stuff. Well, to each their own. Can't say I didn't kill time with those mags that the girls at my workplace keep buying...

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5,158 of 5,506

Quote:
You guys talking about all of this "rap now" nonsense need to listen to some GOOD rap thats out now.  Not the radio commercialized BS.  Try some Joe Budden, Nas, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, the Roots, SO many more.  Kind of lame to generalize a whole genre into the "money, women, cars" **** with no lyricism.  99% of the rap I listen to has lyrics that confuse the hell out of most people I know because of the complex metas.  

I dunno, maybe its because you are in other countries..your view may be skewed, but If you have any interest in expanding your knowledge of the genre (the intelligent side) let me know and I can hit you up with a list of artists

Snowgoons, Immortal Technique, Celph Titled, ect. all my favorite rappers.

Anyways, today I brought my v700s to school today (yes another one of those stories) and after a few classes I went to go eat lunch at a table with friends. Surrounded by a sea of beats I must say I was actually surprised that I did not get called out or given any funny looks, rather I had people come up to me and ask me to let them give a listen to my headphones. Of course each one weren't disappointed and some even asked if I was selling them. I replied no and that they could get these online for $80 or even better ones with the price increasing a bit, but all completely worth it. The people with the beats didn't bother looking my way and didn't seem to care that much which again really surprised me knowing the kids at my school can/will kill with insults if you're an outsider. Either something happened to them or the common sense of minding your own business finally kicked in, either way I'm happy how today went and hope to see more of those 

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #5,159 of 5,506
Well, since many beats users believe into the stuff about beats being the best headphones around... either they:
1) don't bother caring about 'inferior' cans
2) make fun of others for having 'inferior' cans (call-out)

I see #1 being more likely as their maturity level goes up.

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5,160 of 5,506

Quote:
Well, since many beats users believe into the stuff about beats being the best headphones around... either they:
1) don't bother caring about 'inferior' cans
2) make fun of others for having 'inferior' cans (call-out)

I see #1 being more likely as their maturity level goes up.

If that's the case, fine by me. I would rather see more people being "#1"  then the second. Less stress for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back