Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #5,132 of 5,506

Quote:

well i've to admit that not everyone of them have an exceptional vocal skill
that's why SM (their management) specialized their ability
They are divided into Vocal unit and Dance unit
for example : Hyoyeon (one of Girls' Generation member) is considered as one of best dancer in the group who win biggest korea dance competition (street jam) in 2003.If we see it from vocal aspect she's not as good as the girl in the video (Taeyeon),not to the extend that she sings horribly,only good enough to cover group overall performance
and this things work vice versa,vocal unit also can't dance as well as the vocal group
that's why they're packaged in form of group

x2 with you
biggrin.gif

You're spot on with SNSD (Girls Generation) and SM Entertainment's formula in regards. Not like that SM gave out the secret, but you can clearly tell by the performance and singing (and profiles as-well), just who is designed to do what. This particular fact is one of many reasons this group receives a lot of hate and antis and critique. For the fact that they were made as opposed to true artists.  Made as in SM scouted majority of these girls (7/9) at the age of 12-13 and started grooming them and cross training them on everything, dancing, acting, singing and of course, performing.  Prior to the groups debut, each girl was doing something else; one was an MC and a spokesperson for some companies. Another TV commercial, another a model, another Dancer that goes and competes (HyoYeon).  This is also why many call them 'Plastic Generation'.  Though personally I could care less, they're a group now, and they're doing really well, and that's the bottom line. And I think SM really nailed the formula and the right talent for this particular group. Most definitely landed a gold mine here. I personally find it hard to argue that SM is solely behind the success of SNSD, after all, concept, planning and grooming is definitely one aspect, and very important one. However, pulling it off is a completely different story.  

As for singing/performing ratio. This is basically the formula I see. Taeyeon is the leader, she has the most versed vocal range and best singing abilities.  Second to her is Jessica, which comes close to vocal range, but not just there yet.  Often times they alternate solos (namely in live and concert performances). Third to them is Sohyun. She has good vocals and good dancing skills, and is arguably the most natural looking beauty of the group (she's also the youngest). And forth is Tiffany.  This is the 4 vocal leaders.  Then you have diversion between lead dancers, which comprised of Hyoyeon/Yuri and Yoona.  Hyoyeon is the best of them all on a technical level, but short on vocal range. Yuri is less on technical, but strong on sex appeal. Yoona's vocal range is slightly above Hyoyeon's and slightly below Yuri's. She is the visual of the group as she embodies the essence of their image. She's drop dead cute and rock solid dancer, both on cuteness and sex appeal. Then finally you have Sunny and Sooyoung.  Both have similar vocal range with slight differences, namely in pitch and tone. But in terms of highs and lows, they can replace each-other when needed.  Sooyoung is considered the sexiest and sometimes the prettiest. Very tall and very lean looking. Also, many times she's on the front roster of dance routines along with Yoona, Hyoyeon and Yuri. Sunny has a good voice and can reach pitchy highs, but appears to struggle with lows and gets a bit raspy.  She's cute, but definitely nothing overly pretty.  

Now put them together, the right songs, choreography and routine, and you have a winner.  Asides from looks/appeal and dance routines, when I actually listen to them (audio only), I honestly have to give them massive credit for their harmonized performance. When you have one or two singing withing a segment of a song, it's one thing. But when they switch to singing all 9, I honestly don't think I've heard a group singing in better harmonized unison than them.  Clearly mistakes happen, but on the general scope, they're near flawless in that department.   Good job on SM and good Job SNSD, definitely.   Anyone claiming that they have no talent definitely don't know what they're talking about.

P.S. impressive rapping from Bieber.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #5,133 of 5,506
A freind of mine saw me wear some skullcandy hesh (Please don't call me out for this. I know they're not the best choice), and was like "BUY SOME BEATS BY DRE, THEY'RE  BETTER". They probably are better [then the skullcandy]. But then I have yet to see what other "high quailty" head phones sound like.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5,134 of 5,506

Quote:
A freind of mine saw me wear some skullcandy hesh (Please don't call me out for this. I know they're not the best choice), and was like "BUY SOME BEATS BY DRE, THEY'RE  BETTER". They probably are better [then the skullcandy]. But then I have yet to see what other "high quailty" head phones sound like.

The difference is Skullcandy is kind of honest in their pricing.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #5,135 of 5,506

Quote:
Right. If I don't like his music, I'm a hater. It couldn't be that I objectively just don't think he's that great. Well why don't I hate Marilyn Manson and in fact bought his albums? I mean he's also very rich, why is it that I chose Bieber? It couldn't be that Bieber simply sucks. So if we take a famous metal band, like Dimmu Borgir, and show it to you, I assume you won't like it. So is it ok for us to say you're just hating and you're incredibly jealous?This is getting common: when someone says "I don't really like X" immediately someone yells out "WHY U HATIN? Ur just jeluz lol"

If you ask me if I'd like to have his money? Well of course, I can think of lots of interesting things I'd do with it. I'm happy with my life anyway, but why not? Does that make me jealous? Well just as much as I am of every single other person with more money than me. And for those accusing me of disliking him because of something else, I'd like to be clear that from a musical objective perspective I think he sucks. It's not that I'm taking it out of context or that I'm anti-Pop, it's simply that I think there's nothing to captivate my attention there, nothing that makes me feel anything like good music usually does. I think the lifeless trolls that spam the internet with constant posts of Bieber hating are indeed jealous, if I don't like something I simply don't listen to it. But I don't think anyone here is like that.

no need to rage at me...was a general (and usually true) assumption...

Quote:
Oh my word! And he just asked for some anime recommendations. :'(

Its a temp 1 week one...that's what happened to me.
His not perm gone. He will be back - I hope.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5,137 of 5,506

Quote:
Wrong thread I think, but recently I start to see more Beats now in my university. Moscow ain't that popular with Beats... but at least there is one Beats pro. That's a little bit better than the Studios and Solos.

How about mixrs? They're new, and wondered if people have worn them at all over there.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5,140 of 5,506
You guys talking about all of this "rap now" nonsense need to listen to some GOOD rap thats out now.  Not the radio commercialized BS.  Try some Joe Budden, Nas, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, the Roots, SO many more.  Kind of lame to generalize a whole genre into the "money, women, cars" **** with no lyricism.  99% of the rap I listen to has lyrics that confuse the hell out of most people I know because of the complex metas.  

I dunno, maybe its because you are in other countries..your view may be skewed, but If you have any interest in expanding your knowledge of the genre (the intelligent side) let me know and I can hit you up with a list of artists

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5,141 of 5,506
Capitalism at it's best and worst. I'm not a fan of monster marketing, but being someone my age, you really have to wear something stylish. Those Denons, Westons, and other IEMS everyone recommend just aren't flashy enough compared to some of Monster's products

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #5,142 of 5,506
It irks me when people also say the Beat series are pure garbage. Especially when someone say it makes their ears bleed or some ridiculous insult.. Their a tad bit overpriced, but the bass really appeals teens more than having a larger soundstage or something, which most teens could give less a crap about.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #5,143 of 5,506

Quote:
Capitalism at it's best and worst. I'm not a fan of monster marketing, but being someone my age, you really have to wear something stylish. Those Denons, Westons, and other IEMS everyone recommend just aren't flashy enough compared to some of Monster's products

With what the Beats line made people do, i.e. spend copious amounts of money on visually appealing headphones, hopefully some of the Big Fat Companies design somewhat more stylish and mainstream-y yet still audiophile-y headphones. That kind of market is just so big to not capitalize it. Sure there's always the loyal, will drop any price buyers (e.g. sennheiser's ultra high tech HD line, or Hfiman planar more fitting would be audio technica they already do design visually appealing audiophile cans..., as hifiman is relatively new right?), but why not just expand into those kinds of market too? And it would make it more interesting too, IMO.

Sorry my idea is all over the place. this is because I need sleep now. Its 4am.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #5,144 of 5,506

Quote:
How about mixrs? They're new, and wondered if people have worn them at all over there.

Just a thought, I HATED these.  Honestly, I think the Mixr's are probably the worst headphones Monster came up with. Sure, the headphones were clearer than something like the Solo's or the Studio's, but the treble on these are nightmarish and awfully mastered. The treble is extremely sibilant and "screechy". Honestly, terrible.
Also, comfort was an enormous issue. The cups were extremely firm and un-cushiony, only made worse by the tight, hard-clamping metal construction. I couldn't stand these for more than 7 minutes.
Honestly, despite the clarity, I even think even something like the Solo's fare better than these. Simply, just nightmarish. I never felt this way about any Beats headphone before, but seriously, what are they thinking...?

Just a thought. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #5,145 of 5,506

Quote:
Right. If I don't like his music, I'm a hater. It couldn't be that I objectively just don't think he's that great. Well why don't I hate Marilyn Manson and in fact bought his albums? I mean he's also very rich, why is it that I chose Bieber? It couldn't be that Bieber simply sucks. So if we take a famous metal band, like Dimmu Borgir, and show it to you, I assume you won't like it. So is it ok for us to say you're just hating and you're incredibly jealous?This is getting common: when someone says "I don't really like X" immediately someone yells out "WHY U HATIN? Ur just jeluz lol"

If you ask me if I'd like to have his money? Well of course, I can think of lots of interesting things I'd do with it. I'm happy with my life anyway, but why not? Does that make me jealous? Well just as much as I am of every single other person with more money than me. And for those accusing me of disliking him because of something else, I'd like to be clear that from a musical objective perspective I think he sucks. It's not that I'm taking it out of context or that I'm anti-Pop, it's simply that I think there's nothing to captivate my attention there, nothing that makes me feel anything like good music usually does. I think the lifeless trolls that spam the internet with constant posts of Bieber hating are indeed jealous, if I don't like something I simply don't listen to it. But I don't think anyone here is like that.

I am almost certain that you are very much confusing personal taste with objectivity. 
Though I'm not sure how much insight or interest you take to pop music, it's very clear that you're not all that into it, and as a result, lack certain understanding of the entire concept or context of the genre'. Even though you say you do, your posts read otherwise.  You could be a hater of pop for all I care, there's nothing wrong with that (as long as you're not actively hating on it). Much like myself, I don't like the whole Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B, Classical, Country, Heavy Metal or Opera. But, if I come across a piece that is obviously well made, regardless of my taste, I would give it props if asked about it.  

You can objectively dislike certain artists and genres, but when you use the term objectively with like and dislike, it almost becomes oxymoronic (no offense). Unless you have a very well founded and an informed opinion of the subject and context.  If Justin Bieber factually has proven himself as a competent artist (may this be of rapping skills, singing, performing and showmanship), then that makes his a good artist. I agree, sales and grossing don't always reflect talent, but, those two factors are strongly correlated to each other (and that's reality). Whether you like him or not, dislike his music or not, it appeals to you or not; well in your case obviously it does not on all counts here. Then the matter is simple, your opinion of him and his music is extremely subjective. If you can't see someone's talent, then it means that your bias is blinding you from being objective.  And please don't take this the wrong way, this is a common factor and perspective among many many people. In fact, it's a lot easier to be subjective than objective, and many... and I MEAN many (and I'm talking about intellectual individuals here) actually get confused. 

With your Manson example, I'll take myself here for example.  I've heard some of his stuff, maybe 2-3 songs. Didn't like it and couldn't stand it.  Clearly on first reaction I would utter something like, "MAN, THIS SUCKS big time"... but that of course is bias and taste.  If someone is to ask me genuinely what I think of his music, would I be justified to say that it sucks? Objectively, no I won't be.  But, I would be justified to say that I hate his music and it simply does not appeal to me and I don't get or understand it.

Obviously you're not jealous here of anything (well, maybe you want all of his money, and me too), but you're definitely mixing terminologies and jargon usage of subjective vs. objective.

Here are some examples I heard:  Maroon 5 sucks because he doesn't have a strong voice. But realistically, Maroon 5 is an accomplished artist that produces very nice songs with catchy melodies that are easy to listen to; hence, good pop. 

Miley Cyrus has been criticized as a bad singer and artist with sucky music..  

Is this really true, objectively?  What's her target demographic (well, when she did sing.. not sure what she does now).  And how her vocal abilities and range?  Can anyone objectively claim that she sucks or not that good?  Fact is, she very much is that talented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back