Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 7, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #5,102 of 5,506
I think you're giving way too much weight to a picture of Bieber wearing the DT770's. He probably used them in some studio while recording or something, 1 hour later took them off. If someone ever buys the DT770 based on that, I'll be very surprised. I mean, if someone would ever buy headphones based on what Justin Bieber wants you to wear, wouldn't it be more obvious to get the JustBeats, which are endorsed by him?

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #5,103 of 5,506
The fact the DT770's was used in studio recording says enough about the quality of Bieber's music.

No really the DT770's are 'cheap' in the world of professional studio recording. Proper gear is in the thousands. The DT770's are also overly bassy for any serious recording and mixing.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #5,104 of 5,506

Quote:

When talking about music being good rather than genres, we leave the BS out (looks, performance, aptitude), because they are part of the industry, not of the art. Remember the wise words of Kurt, "There is no difference in being #16 or #1, it's just that more people kiss your ass". In a similar way we could rate a rapper by his... gangster-fulness?, but that would be silly, as we are actually meaning to rate his music as he is a musician. There's no question why shallow music may appeal more to the mainstream market, but that is off topic for realistic music discussions as I have stated.

This is exactly why I stated that each genre needs to be taken within its own context when discussing it, whether it be a serious discussion of the artist's musical talent (instrument playing and singing), or just shooting the schit around. And I absolutely disagree on the 'BS' comment in regards. For starters, it question begs the entire concept of Pop music industry. This BS or cheesiness you refer to is an inherit part of the pop industry. Granted that some artists and groups utilize it more than others, but nonetheless, it's still a part of it. As for Rap/Hip Hop and the likes, guess what, musical talent, rapping, song choice, lyrics and delivery is part of the whole. What do you think Delivery of the music is all about? If one rapper embodies the nature of the music in his songs and delivery than another rapper, that is a skill that directly effects the whole sound of the rap track.  So I say again, different genres within a different context.  The serious musical discussion as you present it appears to be subjective to acoustics and maybe soft music where the presence of the artist's attitude and personality isn't required to be as prominent as in Pop or Rap and Hip-Hop, and for that extent, rock music genre.

What you're saying is no different than stating that when discussing Heavy Metal or House music for example, Pop music has very little relevance. But of course this is nothing new. But I still don't see why people can't discuss Pop genre on whole as a serious music discussion, if they truly are discussing Pop music.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #5,105 of 5,506

Quote:
What I define as 'how real' is his voice, is how much tuning it receives in studio. This includes all sorts of equalizing and whatnot.
Based on that, practically nothing we hear in produced music is 'real', as opposed to actually hearing a person sing w/o a microphone. The latter is exactly what I want to know.

That also means not hearing them through headphones. But there is no way I will ever want to even go near wherever he may be hosting a live performance, which is usually way sub-par sound-wise than mastered tracks anyway.

I see what you mean by that.

Sorry, but when I give my objective opinion, it is already based on the fact that I heard a live performance. I don't mean actually being there, but actually seeing a recording of a live performance. Trust me, you can easily tell when the music is processed and when it's the actual artist or singer's real voice.  Plus, go on youtube and type in Justin Beiber vocal range, you'll probably get trillion hits.  I personally don't think it's that hard to figure out how much of his voice is processed and how much is real.  Though I will say this again, live performances give you a pretty good idea.

From what I heard, his has that potential.  His Girlfriend Selena, not so much.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #5,106 of 5,506

Quote:
Do you think the Beats Pro are worth $200?
biggrin.gif

Though this has been answered, I'll slide in my 2 cents in regards.

For $200.00 Yes, definitely worth it.   You do get pretty much what you pay for.
If you're looking for very portable and fairly versed headphones that are easily driven and require no amping to sound optimal, and you like Electronica or Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B music, then yes, at $200 for what they do and offer, they're very hard to beat.  And I say again so there's no confusion here, For what they do and offer as opposed to pure sound.

But that said, even at $200 pricetag, they have a few issues.  Namely the weight, clamp pressure and earcups and pads.  For an over the ear headphones, they're not all that over the ears, unless you have really small ears. But for average sized ears, they will squish the ends of your ears in, which will most likely be painful and uncomfy after about 1-2 hours use.  However, some people don't seem to be phased by this at all and claim them to be comfy regardless.  The weight itself, they're heavy. Trust me, I thought the Shure 440 or 840 are heavy, which they are a bit, but compared with the pros, they're lightweight.  And the clamp.. ooh man.. after about 10 - 15 of wearing them, I actually felt that my eyes are going to pop out of my sockets...

but that's just me. And of course, the tolerance to this probably correlates very positively with it's price.  Price goes down = The more I can try and bear with the level of discomfort and will get used to it because I got a good deal.  After all, at $450 = What the hell, I ain't paying this much to be in pain, while for $200 = Well, hey I'll give it a shot.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #5,108 of 5,506

Quote:
I see Beats users on daily basis in the buses, and most of the time they wear them as neckbands. Why ? No idea, maybe they can't stand how they sound...

Pretty simple my friend... at least you live in Belgium, and you would know what I mean. The Beats just complement the LV/Gucci/Hermes style people have. This type of people is quite common in Suisse as well (Belgium, France pretty sure as well). A gucci belt, a LV wallet and a pair of beats sitting on their neck! 

I am honestly sick of LV, Gucci and Hermes, these 3 commercial brands I cant stand, the fashion equivalents of Beats. Also, the watch equivalents of Beats are Rolex, Breitling, Mont Blanc and Hublot. Cannot stand them either. My second most important hobby after audiophilia is watches, so I do have a credibility to judge them.

My third most important is being off topic 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #5,111 of 5,506
I seriously don't understand all the hate. Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to his music, but people should stop being so angry. 

Don't tell me you wouldn't want to be a millionaire at 16 and get more girls than you could handle.

The kid is living his dream and is successful, people don't like that apparently. 
Quote:
^ Saw a picture of Beiber wearing Beyer 770s... Seriously discouraged me from buying them, they were contenders on a list of 5 headphones I get to choose from...

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #5,112 of 5,506
He bought himself an 11 million dollar house for his 18th birthday. I'm jealous to say the least.

Quote:
I seriously don't understand all the hate. Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to his music, but people should stop being so jealous. 

Don't tell me you wouldn't want to be a millionaire at 16 and get more girls than you could handle.

The kid is living his dream and is successful, people don't like that apparently. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5,114 of 5,506

Quote:

Ok I'll admit it, that video clip appealed to me a lot more then their other stuff posted on here. If the whole group could sing like that and performed with a lot more edge I would probably take notice and have some songs of theirs in my collection be they k pop or not.

Have you looked into the Crystal Method yet? The albums Vegas and Tweekend are two of my more favorite albums. Not a bad song on them as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
x2, She actually has a decent voice with some power behind it.

well i've to admit that not everyone of them have an exceptional vocal skill
that's why SM (their management) specialized their ability
They are divided into Vocal unit and Dance unit
for example : Hyoyeon (one of Girls' Generation member) is considered as one of best dancer in the group who win biggest korea dance competition (street jam) in 2003.If we see it from vocal aspect she's not as good as the girl in the video (Taeyeon),not to the extend that she sings horribly,only good enough to cover group overall performance
and this things work vice versa,vocal unit also can't dance as well as the vocal group
that's why they're packaged in form of group

Quote:
Well before we go into this, let's clarify what 'Talent' really is. 
The way I see it, and with context to this discussion, it's a two-fold definition :

One would be as you describe it, gaining the ability after hard work and effort.

And the other... Well.... you'll see as you read along.

It means that looks, whether they be natural or the result of hard work and cosmetic surgeries, should also be considered as talent. Secondly, performance and showmanship. Clearly the 9 girls of Girls Generation, or the 4 cuties of Secret are not the prettiest, cutest or sexiest girls in South Korea. I've seen countless that look prettier, cuter and sexier in my city's downtown. The same goes for Bieber. It's not like he's the hottest 15-18 year old kid on the planet or in U.S. In fact, I don't doubt that there are many that look better than him and sing better and have better vocal range. And of course, the same goes for those girls. The question remains, why them then and not someone else?   And the answer is very simple, they have certain talent; appeal to the masses that induces sales, success and popularity. They know it and they know how to use it.

Here's a few examples of what I mean: (You will cringe watching this, but for educational purposes
wink_face.gif
)

The top one is Girls Generation with the Aegyo (cutie face) battle, and the other is Secret with a Song called Love is Move.
Clearly Secret's vocal prowess is decent, but nothing really sensational... But, it's how they pull it off.   Trust me, being that cute and sexy at the same time is not easy; but those girls make it look very easy don't they.  And that is talent as-well.

That's exactly my point, you're not being objective. After all, Talent is defined as a NATURAL ability or aptitude. So on the terms of objectivity, having a vocal resonance, natural ability to appeal, either by sexiness or cuteness (for example) are talents. I understand what you're getting at here. Clearly, someone who was born with a great voice will still have to practice a hell of a lot to train that voice.  I'm not sure if you and or anyone (well I'm sure you have) watched American idol, or any Idol for that matter.  You see this during the audition weeks, countless potentials with really strong and powerful voices.. but, they sing out of key and completely miss the tone, and basically are all over the place. Some of them could be trained and become really great singers, and some simply don't have that talent of musical ear. So you end up with someone with a strong voice, but no control or any singing ability.   Remember, having a good vocal range and being able to control is far from being naturally born with a strong voice.  Trust me that this 'Taeyon' girl from the clip, although been argued to have one the best voices in the industry, has been training for years with SM entertainment. However, this is the key factor with true and natural talent or aptitude. Compare that girl with another member of that group, Yoona which is basically the visuals of the group. That Yoona girl has been with SM for the longest time pre-debut of the group itself, and was trained the most. Now, as for dancing, she's great, very sexy and cute, and she pulls it off. But as for singing? Well, she sings well, definitely not horrible or anything like that. But, compare her to that leader Taeyon, and no matter how much training she'll put in, she'll never reach that level.  Simply put, not that talented in that aspect. But then again, pin her acting skills (which are impressive) against the rest of the group, and she destroys them no questions asked.  I'm just giving you a little inside intel here for context purposes.

Remember that the 'looks' as talent is within the context of the Pop Music discussion.  And yes, looking good is a talent.  
Think of the definition, a natural ability or aptitude. If someone is naturally born with aptitude of looking pretty no matter what you throw on them... then it's a natural talent for being pretty.  

x2 with you
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #5,115 of 5,506
You could probably buy Audeze, Hifiman and Schiit if you were as rich as Bieber. Haha

Quote:
He bought himself an 11 million dollar house for his 18th birthday. I'm jealous to say the least.

Quote:
Imagine how much audiophile hear I could get. So definitely jelly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back