Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #5,086 of 5,506

Quote:
Don't worry Lizarking1, I'm not trying to convert you into a pop lover by any means.

Just expected more objectivity from you. 
It's impossible to have a general clause of discussion etiquette to encompass all music genres and then apply it as such to each one.
Each is judged and viewed differently within the context of its inherit nature.   And I disagree, if people are to discuss pop, then the whole scope of the beast is being discussed, from music, sounds, keys, notes, lyrics, writing and performance. 

And I'm sorry to say this, but the Mcdonald's analogy doesn't work here either, unless you're directly countering the sales aspect of my discussion. But that's not the whole point, just part of it. After all, Mcdonlad's doesn't advertise itself as quality nor healthy food, rather fast food. And Mcdonald's has the chain restaurants, but its focal business is actually real estate. But if after all of this you still claim that Beiber isn't any good because you simply can't appreciate his music, then I really don't know what else to say.  Hey, I don't like his music, I almost gag when I hear Baby... but... give credit where credit is due. He's good performer, good singer and has showmanship. 

This by definition makes him 'good'.

On the other note, I was at best buy today getting an invisishield on my iphone-4, and while I was there, unhooked The Monster pros from the Display Ipod and plugged it into my phone.  I haven't heard them in a while, so decided to hear a nice little Full-On Psytrance track on them...  And.. well, definitely not as detailed as Shure SRH440... But, not that far off.  Good instrument separation and decent soundstage.  Base is prominent, but extends way way better than Studios and Solos. They do lack a certain resolution and some sparkle that you'd expect from Electronic music, which makes then slightly laid back. But the mids and vocals are present.. it's just that they don't sound that harsh.. well nothing compared to the Studio's harshness. In fact, I tried a few other display models (which I could not unplug and try on my own phone), which were fed through one source. One stand had Bose AE2 and Studios. Another had Bose OE ($179 retail, not sure which model), SkullCandy Aviators.   The first display, Studios sounded better to me over the Bose. And the Aviators sounded better than all of them put together. I still think that at $179 is too much, more like $120 - $140 would be good for them.  But, that said, they're very portable, easily driven, fairly comfy and not too fatiguing.  They seem to suit Rock/Dance/Trance and House really well. They remind me a bit of the Kicker HP541 sound Signature. Good bass impact, punchy and fairly decent extension. Slightly forward, but not overly forward. Overall warmer sound signature with present mids and highs, but not too harsh no fatiguing, and slight sparkle in the treble department. Could be sibilant at times, but nothing worth complaining about.

No call outs though.

When talking about music being good rather than genres, we leave the BS out (looks, performance, aptitude), because they are part of the industry, not of the art. Remember the wise words of Kurt, "There is no difference in being #16 or #1, it's just that more people kiss your ass". In a similar way we could rate a rapper by his... gangster-fulness?, but that would be silly, as we are actually meaning to rate his music as he is a musician. There's no question why shallow music may appeal more to the mainstream market, but that is off topic for realistic music discussions as I have stated.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5,087 of 5,506
Quote:
Man, I really need to get this 'how much of it is real' clarified...

What would suggest to you that his voice is not real in his songs?  I mean with lip-syncing not being an issue anymore...

And yes, I do agree (and have been saying this all along), he has potential. But this is the route he went for. After all, wasn't he scouted by Usher after hearing his Youtube clip?

Obviously marketing plays a giant role here... But.... I don't think Usher would just pick anyone that sounds good on yotube.  He must've seen something in that kid. 

His Girlfriend on the other hand, not nearly as good a singer as he is... But, you can tell she's been working hard at it. Though I do feel bad for her sometimes.. She tries so hard, but her vocal range is simply isn't up to par.  But she has good texture to her voice. Very soothing.

What I define as 'how real' is his voice, is how much tuning it receives in studio. This includes all sorts of equalizing and whatnot.
Based on that, practically nothing we hear in produced music is 'real', as opposed to actually hearing a person sing w/o a microphone. The latter is exactly what I want to know.

That also means not hearing them through headphones. But there is no way I will ever want to even go near wherever he may be hosting a live performance, which is usually way sub-par sound-wise than mastered tracks anyway.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5,088 of 5,506

Quote:
Eh? I find Bieber's music badly recorded... something just doesn't sound right...
I know this sound crazy to some of you, but in terms of VOICE I think Justin Bieber has potential*. But the way he is using it is completely in the wrong direction.

*: depends how much of it is real.

Your testicles.  Hand them over. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5,089 of 5,506
Quote:
Your testicles.  Hand them over. 

Why would you want them? you're scary lol.
But good job at doing -exactly- what Beats lovers do.

Though I guess this was to be expected lol. Can't be thinking about his voice's worth in a beats hating thread, where most people would be listening to some form of popular music or another. Was wondering if Bieber's voice can be eventually suitable for something more classical but... dang, I can't seem to picture that happening lol! Bieber a tenor? no his voice is probably too thin.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5,090 of 5,506
Do you think the Beats Pro are worth $200?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #5,093 of 5,506

Quote:
SOooooo... has anybody been called out by a beats user yet?

I had a gathering of friends for dinner with roughly 15 people. Futureshop (Best Buy owned) was having an online sale and a bunch of my buddies who have heard my setup asked me for advice. One friend who had only heard beats came up to us and said the beats were the best headphones available..and my friends promptly called him out for being a dumb***

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5,096 of 5,506

Quote:
^ Saw a picture of Beiber wearing Beyer 770s... Seriously discouraged me from buying them, they were contenders on a list of 5 headphones I get to choose from...

Wow this is so ridiculous... and very irrational. I'm sorry I just find it hard to believe that you find that a deciding factor for your purchase.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #5,097 of 5,506

Quote:
^ Saw a picture of Beiber wearing Beyer 770s... Seriously discouraged me from buying them, they were contenders on a list of 5 headphones I get to choose from...

Well that shouldn't really stop you from buying them, it's unlike the headphone has his name on it. Just like if I saw Richard Simmons with a shirt that I like, heck I'll still buy them.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5,098 of 5,506
Yeah I have as a choice for what I could get. Those, Shure 840s, or M50s.

Everyone agrees that the Beyers have better sound but I think we all can agree that they look like.. schist

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5,099 of 5,506

Quote:
Yeah I have as a choice for what I could get. Those, Shure 840s, or M50s.

Everyone agrees that the Beyers have better sound but I think we all can agree that they look like.. schist

That I can not disagree with, what ever makes you happy is fine by me. Also looks shouldn't really bother you UNLESS you're planning on using them for portable use then you might consider, but that's just me.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5,100 of 5,506

Quote:

Quote:
Well that shouldn't really stop you from buying them, it's unlike the headphone has his name on it. Just like if I saw Richard Simmons with a shirt that I like, heck I'll still buy them.

Yeah, I agree with mindless, seriously....Shouldn't you be HAPPY he's using them? What if people decide to wear that brand? Beyer can get more money! And more money = more quality...come on, it's a win for the consumer if a popular person gets something like this! That and...he's helping the cause of beats aren't that good. I don't like justin, but there's no way I'd hate to buy that impressive electronic for some kid that I hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back