Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jul 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #916 of 5,506

Quote:
THAT is EXACTLY what is wrong with music today. I'm 31 and sick of this B.S. To each their own but guess what? Its all about the synthetic beats? Whatever. Synthetic beats, auto tune vocals, vocoders....who the hell needs good headphones for that...its not like there IS a big soundstage or depth to the music.

Exception to the rule time:

Uses autotune and the production in terms of it's soundstage use is fantastic. Yes, it is brickwalled majorly Loudness War wise and the song is mediocre but the audio production is top notch. Much respect to Kevin Rudolf as a music producer. This song will definately test out the soundstage of your headphones, including depth.

That said, iPads and iPhones are highly useful for work and industry purposes because of the app support. Regular Apple drone consumer, not so much.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #917 of 5,506

Quote:
I was at a store the other day and this kid and his dad are walking by the headphones section. The boy looks about 13, picks up the Beats Solos off the display and proclaims: "oh wow, these are the best headphones ever!". I ask him "have you tried them before?" to which the kid gives me a really confused look for a few seconds before slowly saying "... no?"

I just looked at the dad and shrugged. He asked me "are they any good?", I replied by handing him a Senn PX200 and said "half the price, twice as good, but they're not shiny and don't have a rapper endorsing them so he won't like 'em".

LOL this reminds me of the time I was at J&R the other day. Some kid around the same age wanted the Beats Studio and his mom agreed to buy him one, until this guy came out of nowhere and started recommending all the cheaper ones saying they're all better than the Beats. The kid looked like he wanted punch the guy in the face. I thought that was pretty funny.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #918 of 5,506

Quote:
Anything Android can be customized to the bone.

Except for the things that can't be. For example, a couple of the newer HTC phones have signed bootloaders, so you can't load custom firmware onto 'em. (Yeah, HTC said that they're no longer doing signed bootloaders due to customer pressure - and yet, both the HTC Pyramid and Shooter have signed bootloaders.)

Android might be open-source, but hardware that supports Android isn't necessarily so.

-- Griffinhart

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #919 of 5,506
i almost forgot, yesterday i saw some guy ridin around town in a lifted truck with bright red beats draped around his neck while driving. i know its off topic but it was just weird to me how hard the guy was trying.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #920 of 5,506

Quote:

LOL this reminds me of the time I was at J&R the other day. Some kid around the same age wanted the Beats Studio and his mom agreed to buy him one, until this guy came out of nowhere and started recommending all the cheaper ones saying they're all better than the Beats. The kid looked like he wanted punch the guy in the face. I thought that was pretty funny.

Ouch, dick move IMO. I don't blame the kid that much... Most kids just want their stuff to look cool. If it looks bleak but has good SQ, they don't really care.

I remember when I was just a kid and got my mom to buy Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The ass at the counter made sure to let her know about the violence and sex in the game (she bought it for me anyways
biggrin.gif
). I still would like to punch that guy in the face.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #921 of 5,506
Many could say the same about us.
I can't fathom any legitimate reason to belittle strangers simply because of their purchases. Since I'm fairly certain none of us enjoy enduring ridicule for this hobby, I'll refrain from putting others through a similar ordeal. If they decide Beats is a worthy purchase, much power to them. I won't judge them - just as I hope they won't judge me for my decisions. 

Quote:
it was just weird to me how hard the guy was trying.

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #922 of 5,506

Quote:

That said, iPads and iPhones are highly useful for work and industry purposes because of the app support. Regular Apple drone consumer, not so much.

So true... If only more people realized that. Quoting a TV show: "A computer has buttons!"

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #923 of 5,506
Unless of course, they claim they have the superior setup.

Quote:
I can't fathom any legitimate reason to belittle strangers simply because of their purchases. Since I'm fairly certain none of us enjoy enduring ridicule for this hobby, I'll refrain from putting others through a similar ordeal. If they decide Beats is a worthy purchase, much power to them. I won't judge them - just as I hope they won't judge me for my decisions. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #924 of 5,506

Quote:
Ouch, dick move IMO. I don't blame the kid that much... Most kids just want their stuff to look cool. If it looks bleak but has good SQ, they don't really care.

I remember when I was just a kid and got my mom to buy Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The ass at the counter made sure to let her know about the violence and sex in the game (she bought it for me anyways
biggrin.gif
). I still would like to punch that guy in the face.

GTA: VC is a great game...still one of my favs.  Don't just punch the guy in the face, chainsaw him in half!!!

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #925 of 5,506
it was just awkward that the guy had to wear these around his neck while he drove with the windows down. what was the reason?if he were wearing them as he walked down the street i would have thought nothing of it at all.

and why should you care if someone ridicules you or judges you as long as you are happy and content?
Quote:

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #926 of 5,506

Quote:
GTA: VC is a great game...still one of my favs.  Don't just punch the guy in the face, chainsaw him in half!!!

lol good point! GTA IV was a bit of a let down. The map of VC was glorious, Miami was the perfect setting, I still go back and play sometimes on my backwards compatible PS3. I could care less about the graphics. San Andreas may be the best of the series though. Gigantic map, being able to fly planes, the multiple terrains. Hours of fun with those games.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #927 of 5,506
lol good point! GTA IV was a bit of a let down. The map of VC was glorious, Miami was the perfect setting, I still go back and play sometimes on my backwards compatible PS3. I could care less about the graphics. San Andreas may be the best of the series though. Gigantic map, being able to fly planes, the multiple terrains. Hours of fun with those games.

If that's the case, have you played Saint's Row 2? If not get it, it's like $10 now. Also the third one comes out in November! :D

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #928 of 5,506
I honestly had to laugh when I read the title of this thread.  (Yeah I've been absent for awhile.)   It's obvious that demographics are at work here.  The good news from my knothole is that the younger crowd still embraces good sound. 

Now to respond to the OPs original question.... Nope!  No one had ever called me out about not using Beats!  Hell, bets are my friends, who like me are sexagenarians, have no clue what they are! hahahahaha   Gotta luv retirement!   hehehehehe

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #929 of 5,506
Jul 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #930 of 5,506

Quote:
has yet to ever happen to me, yet happens to people in this thread ... wonder why

Perhaps location, because usually it happens when people are in a relaxed area with a high density of teenagers who feel like they have something to prove, like a store or at school.

Just an observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back