Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 14, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #182 of 5,506

Whatever they sell at urban outfitters, like zumreed/urbanears. God those are terrible. Speaking of hipsters, anyone been to Audicubes on 8th st near NYU? (by Chipotle) They have some nice phones along with many overpriced fashion phones. You should check it out if you're ever in NYC.

But I have to agree. Funny thing is, despite how much I hate the trust fund "lets pretend to be poor in Brooklyn until we're 30" hipster d. bags, I kind of smile when I see one wearing Grados.
Quote:
Quote:
semi-rhetorical question: what headphones do hipster audiophiles wear?

Hipster in terms of headphones is normally associated with Grado tbh.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #183 of 5,506

Quote:
They'd only sell that well if they were in the Apple store. Everyone knows that if it's in the Apple store it's hip.

They are in the Apple Store...all over...at least in many of them here in the US. They usually have the Studio's set up with an iPod, and a couple of Solo's. And the new iHome Beats type dock they have now, which actually has some good bass, but not for like $600-$700 i think it was lol :p

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #184 of 5,506
Quote:Originally Posted by tibble89 

on American Idol all the producers etc there had beats, man.. they must get paid to advertise them so much :p

I saw that.

Jimmy Iovine (Interscope head) with those BRIGHT RED BEATS, permanently around his neck.

Hilarious !

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #185 of 5,506
Quote:Originally Posted by tibble89 

on American Idol all the producers etc there had beats, man.. they must get paid to advertise them so much :p

I saw that.

Jimmy Iovine (Interscope head) with those BRIGHT RED BEATS, permanently around his neck.

Hilarious !

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #186 of 5,506
What's even more mind boggling is just how overpriced they really are.  I went on Monster's webpage for the Beats the other day looking up information to answer a question in another thread, and I was just amazed at the price of their "flagship" model the Pro.  At 400 dollars they're right in Sennheiser HD650 territory.  While I'm sure they sound pretty good, they are at least a couple(or more) notches below the HD650.  Even the Denon D2000 greatly exceeds(which I'm assuming) the Pros and it's a 100 dollars less!  If I'm going to spend 400 dollars on a headphone I'm expecting exceptional build and sound quality.  Do I get that with the Pros?  I certainly don't think so.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #187 of 5,506
Quote:
you forgot the B&W5

In that price range you'd probably be better off with the portable ATs.  ES7, ESW9A, ESW10JPN, or ES10.  FWIR they probably all sound better than the P5s and they all look good too.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #188 of 5,506
I got "called out" at Journey's when buying shoes (I wear skate shoes because they're wide and comfy, don't judge me!) while wearing my TF10's at the counter.  The sales guy was going on and on about these Skull Candies they had for $100 the other day and how amazing they were and how I'd love them after he had no idea about the Ultimate Ears brand.

I bit my tongue as best as possible and left with my shoes.  Even if I explained they wouldn't get it unless they heard it (and probably wouldn't like them as bass heads), and the last time I let someone try one set of IEMs I had (SF3) the tube was clogged to the brim with wax.  Not dumb enough to let that happen again (the wax cleaner tool couldn't even go deep enough!).

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #191 of 5,506
Yesterday my friend bought skullcandy NCAA, and i was not wanting to say something like "skullcandy sucks, get another headphone", because he was very excited about it. But after, another friend of mine said "he's headphone is better, your doesn't even have a brand" Well, you guys can predict what i felt when he said that =D Also, after some time, the one that said that Audio Technica is not a brand, told me that for the price of my ATH-M50 I could get a skullcandy... PS: he said that because I buy many things from the internet, and they think that they are all crap products

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #192 of 5,506

Quote:
Yesterday my friend bought skullcandy NCAA, and i was not wanting to say something like "skullcandy sucks, get another headphone", because he was very excited about it. But after, another friend of mine said "he's headphone is better, your doesn't even have a brand" Well, you guys can predict what i felt when he said that =D Also, after some time, the one that said that Audio Technica is not a brand, told me that for the price of my ATH-M50 I could get a skullcandy... PS: he said that because I buy many things from the internet, and they think that they are all crap products

Your friends sound pretty dumb uninformed lol 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #193 of 5,506
I don't called out for not wearing Beats, but people have asked me why I don't have Bose - they don't point out that Bose are good, or better, they just wanna know why. Typically I'll explain.

One guy, after I told him why I went with what I went with (I gave a run-down of my DT770/600s + Practical Devices XM6 + Cowon J3), he said "so why not just use Bose and be done with it?"

I facepalmed internally.

(His main gripe was with the bulk of my gear, but - really? the J3 is smaller than an iPod, and the XM6 has an even smaller footprint. As far as the headphones go, yeah, they're big, but I'm fine with their size.)

-- Griffinhart

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #194 of 5,506
People see my akg 701s or Senns or Beyers and they are like. man those are sweet!. Im like furesure! they ask are they better than the beats? iim like hell yes!! But It depends on what YOU define better as. to them. more bass= better I tell them. No. They are wrong. they are like. Ok. ahhah i stump them. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #195 of 5,506
In America, we designate our tribe by what we buy. Our last names mean nothing, we are mutts. Our accents mean nothing, our last president couldn't pronounce "nuclear". I wear Beats as an article of clothing, to say I'm cool, now, hip, your next boss. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back