Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 11, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #151 of 5,506
It looks like you need to call the number(it's almost directly under the quantity box) listed to find out if they even have any left in stock.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #152 of 5,506

Quote:

I cannot say anything about the Beats, but the AKGs you are looking at are overly dark and hard to listen to in general. They have a great form factor and all, but sound is not great. I would not recomend them to anyone. 

as a rule of thumb I stay away from DJ headphones, as that's all they are really good for.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #154 of 5,506
Lots of people ask me about the Beats when I tell them about my headphone fetish. So at least I get an opportunity to educate people. The worst for me was when my Japanese teacher saw Bose in-ears on a classmate's desk and held them up for the class. With an impressed look on her face she said "takai desu ne !" I wanted to say no, look at me, I have 2 thousand-dollar headphones in my house right now!

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #155 of 5,506
Quote:
Lots of people ask me about the Beats when I tell them about my headphone fetish. So at least I get an opportunity to educate people. The worst for me was when my Japanese teacher saw Bose in-ears on a classmate's desk and held them up for the class. With an impressed look on her face she said "takai desu ne !" I wanted to say no, look at me, I have 2 thousand-dollar headphones in my house right now!

Too bad you didn't have a pair ED8s on you.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #157 of 5,506
Never been asked really.
Someone said it'd be impossible to know the difference between $300 dollar cans and $1000 ones (Grado GS1000's).
My interest in being an audiophile was rekindled so I got the SR60i's, but I remember having anti Beats conversations last year when I had my Koss Pro4AA's.
My school WAS full of Bose, but they all basically broke.  Then it was full of Beats, and are still easy to find.  But now I've started seeing different sets.
Makes me happy to see the Beats apparently dieing off.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #158 of 5,506
Got my HD25's today and was at school, first some one says to me is "psh skullcandy, you should have gotten the beats"-_- if only they knew.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #159 of 5,506
Hilariously enough a guy in my Physio class just got a pair of beats and, guys, I am not making this up- he just leaves them on his head, all day long. I see him on campus all the time and if he isn't listening to them he has them off to the side, which is really all they amount to anyway, much like the white apple earbuds. 

Here is what is strange- people feel like if they don't have something trendy, it must not be good. Great example- I gave my mom a pair of Image S4's for Mothers day and after two weeks she gave them back. She prefers her white earbuds to them! She told me the earbuds "sound just as good" and I damn near collapsed in shock. What she meant was, I never used them because they aren't white and do not tell people I have the same thing they do. Same with the beats. 

And here is the kicker- I have a friend with beats who admitted my Golds blew them away, but he would never buy/use them. He wears Jordans every day, all his shirts say fubu or phat farm etc. He HAS to be seen wearing beats, period. He isn't the brightest and sadly is totally caught up in this whole trendy non-sense.

What happened to listening to music for the joy and experience of THE MUSIC??? How on earth did we trendify EVERYTHING nowadays??? It is sad people, very sad...

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #160 of 5,506
Yep.  They're just fashion accessories...

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #161 of 5,506
Haha actually instead of me getting called out I would usually be the one for calling-out someone for wearing the Beats and laugh at their waste of money for subpar sound quality. Since they don't know what they're talking about, they usually shut up.

But now I stopped that and just ignore everyone. :p

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #162 of 5,506

Quote:
Hilariously enough a guy in my Physio class just got a pair of beats and, guys, I am not making this up- he just leaves them on his head, all day long. I see him on campus all the time and if he isn't listening to them he has them off to the side, which is really all they amount to anyway, much like the white apple earbuds. 

Here is what is strange- people feel like if they don't have something trendy, it must not be good. Great example- I gave my mom a pair of Image S4's for Mothers day and after two weeks she gave them back. She prefers her white earbuds to them! She told me the earbuds "sound just as good" and I damn near collapsed in shock. What she meant was, I never used them because they aren't white and do not tell people I have the same thing they do. Same with the beats. 

And here is the kicker- I have a friend with beats who admitted my Golds blew them away, but he would never buy/use them. He wears Jordans every day, all his shirts say fubu or phat farm etc. He HAS to be seen wearing beats, period. He isn't the brightest and sadly is totally caught up in this whole trendy non-sense.

What happened to listening to music for the joy and experience of THE MUSIC??? How on earth did we trendify EVERYTHING nowadays??? It is sad people, very sad...

What happened was this: people need to fulfill a need to look different. They see wearing the Beats, Apple ear buds, etc. as being different, even though they look like the millions of other people who are wearing them. They view these items as status symbols because that is what these companies preach these items as. What these people want from these accessories is to look different, but to look different all they are doing is blending in with the crowd. I believe this can be linked to people trying to find a modern day "self actualization" in these meaningless items because they don't get meaning out of their daily lives due to their inability to bond with family and friends; they are too wrapped up in nonsense to realize what is meaningful to them. That's how I view the people who tout their Apple 'buds and Beats.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #163 of 5,506
LOL at that! I also took Japanese, and have studieing it since I left high school 6 years back. I'm not fluent at all.

I remember I was listening to my Koss PRO4AAT's in my Japanese class and my teacher walked over and said "Ausuten-san, kono hedofon (ヘッドホン) ga suki desuka?". I replied "ee, suki desu.". LOL enough Japanese for now :wink:

Quote:

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #164 of 5,506

Very profound statement! And true as well. 

What I find shocking is that people will buy inferior items (with respect to performance) because they are trendy. I suppose it boils down to form or function, and I choose function almost every time. 
Quote:
What happened was this: people need to fulfill a need to look different. They see wearing the Beats, Apple ear buds, etc. as being different, even though they look like the millions of other people who are wearing them. They view these items as status symbols because that is what these companies preach these items as. What these people want from these accessories is to look different, but to look different all they are doing is blending in with the crowd. I believe this can be linked to people trying to find a modern day "self actualization" in these meaningless items because they don't get meaning out of their daily lives due to their inability to bond with family and friends; they are too wrapped up in nonsense to realize what is meaningful to them. That's how I view the people who tout their Apple 'buds and Beats.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #165 of 5,506

Quote:

I see people who go round all day with their headphones round their neck. I don't get it, but I'll leave them be.

But I do have a shocking story about those white earbuds. A friend asked me if Apple would replace them for him given that his broke. I told him that they're not even worth the postage costs back to Apple to which he replied 'What you talking about? They're worth at least $10. They're great quality earphones'. I damn nearly cried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back