Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 12, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #166 of 5,506
I have recommended beats and bose to my friends before. But whenever asked why I didn't buy beats and bose I usually just say "They are too expensive for the sound I am looking for"

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #167 of 5,506
It's embedded in our social structure this day and age. Having Bose, white apple earphones, Beats, and Skullcandys on you just means you follow what society is doing and promoting. Unfortunately, most HAVE to follow this trend even if there are things out there that sound better, have better build, better quality, better value, etc. They have to have it to "fit in". It has nothing to do with enjoying the music through the headphones/earphones. People just follow what's "cool" at the moment. Even if the person doesn't care much for music, not to mention headphones, they'd still probably pick up one of those headphones cause it's so "cool" flashing them out in the public. It's on TV, movies, in the clubs, in music videos, all the famous stars use them, etc. It's what society is telling us to do. Having Bose, apple earphones, Beats, Skullcandys won't give you weird looks, but having Denons, Sennheisers, Ultrasones, Audio Technicas, Beyers, etc. will. So that's how these brands are able to sell at several times the actual value of their products, people don't want something that'll give them weird looks, they want something that'll make others go "that's cool".

So a friend of mine was about to jump on the Beats hype even though he was never into headphones or a lot of music for that matter. I quickly pulled him out of it, and convinced him to pick up a Audio Technica M50.
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #168 of 5,506
I know right?

I was wearing my XB1000's the other day and some guy wearing Skullcandy Ink'ed told me that his cheap earphones were better than my Sony's, I let him listen to my phone's with some 320 kbps music and he literally become speechless. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #169 of 5,506
semi-rhetorical question: what headphones do hipster audiophiles wear?

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #170 of 5,506
ED8 LEs or palladiums.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #171 of 5,506
y u no wear beats??

Anyways, my cousin bought a pair of justin bieber beats and asked me if they were good. Good thing I convinced him to return it and I'll be going with him to a local headphone store. He said he bought it because it looked cool...

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #172 of 5,506
I actually don't mind beats. To be honest, I was an ipod earbud user for the longest time, thinking that my music in 320kbps is good enough. However, one day, my friend lent me his beats and I was shocked at how good they were. Then, i did research and more research and came upon headfi. I tried out HD555s (love them) and I just bought Grados SR-80i. I still wouldn't mind getting a pair of beats (maybe counterfeit?) and walk around campus wearing them as a fashion thing.

Beats opened my mind to good earbuds.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #173 of 5,506
If I ever had a pair of headphones for "fashion" purposes I think I'd have to go with something steampunk.  Most likely with ortho drivers and if I was feeling really over the top, an integrated hybrid amp with a tube sticking out of the side.

I just use IEMs on the go though, because they're so much more convenient.  I'd have to have a lot of spare time and money before I ever got around to concocting anything like that since it would be a ton of work and just for looks.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #175 of 5,506
"Classy" really isn't my style, but I've seen a lot of good looking Grado mods.  They've got a fun sound and if you're going to mod everything you don't even need to buy an expensive model.

If you were wearing them on the go as a fashion accessory they'd be completely useless for anything else since they're very, very, open.  Even if you had them on your head, they leak just as much as if you had a pair of beats hanging around your neck and were blasting them.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #176 of 5,506
I'd never wear my cans outside just because they are too inconvenient.  Plus I look silly wearing cans anyway.  Though people give me weird looks when I wear my IEMs.  Maybe because of the more elongated shape, it looks like I shoved carrots into my ears?

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #178 of 5,506

Quote:
LOL at that! I also took Japanese, and have studieing it since I left high school 6 years back. I'm not fluent at all.

I remember I was listening to my Koss PRO4AAT's in my Japanese class and my teacher walked over and said "Ausuten-san, kono hedofon (ヘッドホン) ga suki desuka?". I replied "ee, suki desu.". LOL enough Japanese for now :wink:

You were wearing those in public? That's hardcore! How do you like those phones, I've been curious about 'em for a while.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #179 of 5,506

Quote:
You were wearing those in public? That's hardcore! How do you like those phones, I've been curious about 'em for a while.

I used to wear the Studio's to school when I had them.  People would stare and be like "How old are those?" or "Are they Helocopter headphones?"
Miss those big guys...

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #180 of 5,506

Users who are viewing this thread

Back