Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jun 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #646 of 5,506

Quote:
Either you are trolling, or you are in the wrong place.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've never met a 31 year old that would use "sucKas." Hell I don't know many 20 year olds either that would use that word either. So take that for what you will.

And I think you get what you pay for if its a good company. Monster is not a good company, so you generally get gypped. But if you buy from a good company, generally you get exactly what you pay for. I'd rather spend $500 on quality than $20 on junk.

He could be like one of those modern parents trying to be hip, like the ones who wear teen clothing brands and misusing internet acronyms to embarrass their kids.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #647 of 5,506
WOW how did i miss this thread... hhaha

i had to renew my driv lic... so one friday morning on my day off i ran out to the dmv... took my iphone and my GRADOS 325 goldies.... i had them plugged in and was listening to them while standing in line (pretty quietly since they are open cans). a kid behind me came up and asked about my headphones and asked me if i wanted to check out his BEATS by dre (im guessing hes assuming i like headphones and mine probably looked cheap or something) he told me they were the "newest thing" i politely declined his offer and quickly turned up my headphones searched pandora for taylor swift channel and turned it up loud so the sould leaking could be heard by all

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #648 of 5,506
^This

Griffin, I think you're supposed to have the media player and whatever else controlling the volume maxed, and use the amp to lower it. If you max your amp and lower your media player, the sound loses quality - to me it's very audible the difference, Basically, the last link in the chain should be the one controlling the volume.

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #649 of 5,506

Quote:

Griffin, I think you're supposed to have the media player and whatever else controlling the volume maxed, and use the amp to lower it. If you max your amp and lower your media player, the sound loses quality - to me it's very audible the difference, Basically, the last link in the chain should be the one controlling the volume.

Sure, I could do that - if I wanted to go deaf. I don't think you know how loud the XM6 is - I literally hurt my ears (there was a lovely ringing that took twenty minutes to go away when I took my headphones off after a three-minute song) when I had f2k maxed and the XM6 at "just loud enough to be balanced". See, the XM5 wasn't as loud - I could max f2k there and still listen at a reasonable level.

(System volume isn't an issue, I leave that maxed.)

-- Griffinhart

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #650 of 5,506
To confirm my previous post, even the creative zen stone can power my beyers up to a deafening level. Sometimes I wonder whether it's just the beyers or if that the impedance isn't really all that important. My zen is playing at 15 of 25 and it's more than loud enough....

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #651 of 5,506
i listened to bose and beats today at best buy, they didn't sound that bad.   The bose noise cancelling was really comfortable.

They were both $300 dollars  /  qc15 and pros

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #652 of 5,506

Quote:
i listened to bose and beats today at best buy, they didn't sound that bad.   The bose noise cancelling was really comfortable.

They were both $300 dollars  /  qc15 and pros

i agree. if bose has anything going for them it's comfort. and beats really aren't that bad. i rather enjoyed the beats pros at futureshop.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #653 of 5,506

Quote:
i agree. if bose has anything going for them it's comfort. and beats really aren't that bad. i rather enjoyed the beats pros at futureshop.

i did too, the bass was comforting on the pros, better than the bose.  It sounded detailed, but "small".

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #654 of 5,506
guess that might be soundstage?

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #655 of 5,506

Quote:
^This

I might be wrong, but I've heard somewhere around here that the best setup is >50% of the source volume level (80% or something) and adjust the amp volume to your liking. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #656 of 5,506

Quote:
I might be wrong, but I've heard somewhere around here that the best setup is >50% of the source volume level (80% or something) and adjust the amp volume to your liking. 

i was taught in audio engineering classes (or somewhere i forget) that you put everything on 7 or 8  out of a 10 max.  adjust on closest to ear.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #657 of 5,506

Quote:
He could be like one of those modern parents trying to be hip, like the ones who wear teen clothing brands and misusing internet acronyms to embarrass their kids.

lol

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #658 of 5,506

Quote:

The Beats aren't inheritly bad, but more they sound comparable to the Superlux HD668B at $50 or if you want a bass emphasised sound signature and more common headphone, the Audio Technica M50 at $120. Anyway, the max volume before distorting depends on the firmware of the audio device e.g. Creative's typically distort at anything above 55% master volume, while the Asus Xonar series of soundcards have been tested to be best at 76% (which is the Asus default as well).

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #659 of 5,506
some tracks sounded better on my solo beats than my m50's , IMO

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #660 of 5,506
It's good having a teacher that's also a fellow audiophile.
smily_headphones1.gif
Upon walking into his living room I found Technics turntables, DCPs and a very smooth immersive surround system failed get the name of. He won't be buying his kids anything Monster.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back