Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Dec 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #2,913 of 5,506
like the beats doesnt get enough attention already!

stop 
deadhorse.gif
 and let people enjoy their mediocre, overpriced headphones.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2,915 of 5,506
I let my friends who had Beats Studio's test out my Shure SRH 440's once...i used very clear tracks. lossless of course. My ipod sported an Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC and I ran an LOD out of it an then through an amp. so i let them test it through my really good price to performance ratio gear (FiiO) and the first comment was.. ehh. not as clear. I have studios this is why. (i didn't tell them my 440's were studios) 

deadhorse.gif

*facepalm*

i used to think beats were good also. i looked for an alternative, and it was my journey on looking for a cheap alternative that i stumbled upon head-fi. i did some light research on headphones, made a thread on head-fi asking about AKG,Grado, Sennheiser, Shure. and then.....here i am now :) going by day by day as a audiophile :) 

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2,916 of 5,506
I have two stories. One that was actually very intelligent, and one that was sorta meh.

Intelligent:

For the past few weeks a kid in my class has been asking why I have my Panasonics (DJ-RPS400) or Sony (Giiqs) and not Beats, as for the past two years in highschool I've built a nickname and reputation of being called "phones" for ALWAYS having headphones on my neck or on my ears. I simply said I liked these way better than beats, but he always would say "Beats are way better! Your headphones are ****! You dont know what your missing!" I simply said back "Yeah we'll see". So Friday I see him at his locker putting his headphones (studio's Beats) into his locker and says "See these? These are real headphones". So I offer my DJ-RPS400s up for his listening pleasure, and he puts them on and listens for a bit to whatever rap he listens to. He takes em off after maybe half a minute and says "Actually... Not too bad, still not like my studio's though" so I just say back "Oh, well yeah, the Studio's arent bad I guess, I just hate how they're priced at 400" so he says back "Aha! No way I'd pay that much for these things! I bought them for 100!", and I say "Ah exactly, well I'm getting upgrades soon, and they're not studio's so I gues we just have different taste" so we both walk away with a happy understanding of why eachother have which headphones and to respect that.

Meh:

We were doing some work in groups during civvies day (a day in catholic highschools where we ditch uniforms and wear whatever the fudglett we want), and a guy walks in with red Solos, now he wasnt going crazy about the sound quality, but moreso of the rarity of the fact his were red. I never knew they were rare to be red, and nor had i heard Solo's before, so being called "phones", I ask to see what they're all about, so I put them on, listen for a bit, and it's like my song has become nothing but mids and little bits of bass thrown in, while I'm wearing a plastic bag over my head. It's not horrible. Just not good. So I give them back saying "They're good i guess" (Trying not to offend anyone) and his face is like "WOW. ONLY GOOD?" but he just shuts up and I throw my Giiqs back on, enjoying my bright headphones (I know Giiqs are only shying mid-fi on terms of treble and mid, but they're durable and comfy, and till I get my MDR V6's, they're my current pair :wink: Dont hate on my backups! They were my first and we all start somewhere!)

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2,917 of 5,506

Quote:
I have two stories. One that was actually very intelligent, and one that was sorta meh.

Intelligent:

For the past few weeks a kid in my class has been asking why I have my Panasonics (DJ-RPS400) or Sony (Giiqs) and not Beats, as for the past two years in highschool I've built a nickname and reputation of being called "phones" for ALWAYS having headphones on my neck or on my ears. I simply said I liked these way better than beats, but he always would say "Beats are way better! Your headphones are ****! You dont know what your missing!" I simply said back "Yeah we'll see". So Friday I see him at his locker putting his headphones (studio's Beats) into his locker and says "See these? These are real headphones". So I offer my DJ-RPS400s up for his listening pleasure, and he puts them on and listens for a bit to whatever rap he listens to. He takes em off after maybe half a minute and says "Actually... Not too bad, still not like my studio's though" so I just say back "Oh, well yeah, the Studio's arent bad I guess, I just hate how they're priced at 400" so he says back "Aha! No way I'd pay that much for these things! I bought them for 100!", and I say "Ah exactly, well I'm getting upgrades soon, and they're not studio's so I gues we just have different taste" so we both walk away with a happy understanding of why eachother have which headphones and to respect that.

Meh:

We were doing some work in groups during civvies day (a day in catholic highschools where we ditch uniforms and wear whatever the fudglett we want), and a guy walks in with red Solos, now he wasnt going crazy about the sound quality, but moreso of the rarity of the fact his were red. I never knew they were rare to be red, and nor had i heard Solo's before, so being called "phones", I ask to see what they're all about, so I put them on, listen for a bit, and it's like my song has become nothing but mids and little bits of bass thrown in, while I'm wearing a plastic bag over my head. It's not horrible. Just not good. So I give them back saying "They're good i guess" (Trying not to offend anyone) and his face is like "WOW. ONLY GOOD?" but he just shuts up and I throw my Giiqs back on, enjoying my bright headphones (I know Giiqs are only shying mid-fi on terms of treble and mid, but they're durable and comfy, and till I get my MDR V6's, they're my current pair :wink: Dont hate on my backups! They were my first and we all start somewhere!)

what's...with the hard to find headphones. the panasonic's were hard to find online. wtih only one review and..they were $50 USD. not $400? and the sony Giiqs....couldn't find them. and then why the MDR v6's? They were good in their time and are still good. but at their price range. they have lost a long time ago to the Shure SRH 440 and Sennehsier Pro 280.. ? ehh i'll stop. 

good to know you at least have an understading yeah kid around friend.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,919 of 5,506

Quote:
what's...with the hard to find headphones. the panasonic's were hard to find online. wtih only one review and..they were $50 USD. not $400? and the sony Giiqs....couldn't find them. and then why the MDR v6's? They were good in their time and are still good. but at their price range. they have lost a long time ago to the Shure SRH 440 and Sennehsier Pro 280.. ? ehh i'll stop. 

good to know you at least have an understading yeah kid around friend.

If you check the author of that DJ-RPS400 you'll see its me xD So really 0 reviews if you take me out of the equation. And I just went on a mad headphone hunt for a few days, way before I knew head-fi existed, and I liked the RPS400s, they had hardly ANY revies WHATSOEVER ANYWHERE (youtube, google doesnt have a lot, head fi has non before me), but they're actually quite nice (other than the build quality). And the giiq's arent really that hi-fi, or even amazing mid-fi's. Like I said, they're shying mid-fi, and because of that, they're not popular on head-fi. I bought them for other reasons like comfort and durability. Which is has. In amazing quality :wink: And then I orderd V6s when i found head-fi :p I make do with what I got.

And I never ever said my Panasonic's were 400, I said the studios were 400.

@miceblue

Yeah, but it's an arrogance thing more than an actual "I know these are better because I compared to all in price range" thing.

Edit: Also I got my MDRV6s as they were suggested to me several times in this section, so I like to think the people at head-fi know what they're doing and I trust them. Also, I'm not ONLY looking for sound quality, but other reasons to. To each his own, eh? :wink:

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,920 of 5,506

Quote:

Edit: Also I got my MDRV6s as they were suggested to me several times in this section, so I like to think the people at head-fi know what they're doing and I trust them. Also, I'm not ONLY looking for sound quality, but other reasons to. To each his own, eh? :wink:

:'( you met the wrong people. the sennheiser 280's would've been fantastic for you. if you look in the head fi guide. the V6's are in there. but only as a reminder, for they are the last reminders of Sony's headphone power. the V6's are not recommended at all right now due to how much they cost to how they perform. but yes. as long as you are happy with them i guess. enjoy your new audiophile headphones :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2,921 of 5,506

Quote:
:'( you met the wrong people. the sennheiser 280's would've been fantastic for you. if you look in the head fi guide. the V6's are in there. but only as a reminder, for they are the last reminders of Sony's headphone power. the V6's are not recommended at all right now due to how much they cost to how they perform. but yes. as long as you are happy with them i guess. enjoy your new audiophile headphones :)

I was suggested the HD280s :wink: I did lots of reading on those, found that they werent as comfortable as V6s, had a weird "plastic crack" in the band (I hate having durability issues in my headphones after having the RPS400s.), and I personally went to Sony Style and tried on V600s (not same sounding as V6s, but same build), and they're comfy :) Thats why I choose them superiorly over all the other ones, and no one says they're bad, just not amazing, and I'm fine with that if I still have my durability and comfort and all my other little requirements met :) You can keep your 280s and enjoy them with your different needs.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,922 of 5,506

Quote:
I was suggested the HD280s :wink: I did lots of reading on those, found that they werent as comfortable as V6s, had a weird "plastic crack" in the band (I hate having durability issues in my headphones after having the RPS400s.), and I personally went to Sony Style and tried on V600s (not same sounding as V6s, but same build), and they're comfy :) Thats why I choose them superiorly over all the other ones, and no one says they're bad, just not amazing, and I'm fine with that if I still have my durability and comfort and all my other little requirements met :) You can keep your 280s and enjoy them with your different needs.

OOOO COMFORT...that's a big one. the shure's and Sennheisers don't have comfort at all. they perform, better than the Sony V6's and are a lot easier to drive...but if you want comfort. those two are not for you. If someone said the V600's and V6's have the same comfort, than that works. i didn't care for comfort, just quality so went with the shure's. do i regret it? not one bit, I traded performance for comfort. and these shure's after full burn in....are amazing.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2,924 of 5,506

Quote:
OOOO COMFORT...that's a big one. the shure's and Sennheisers don't have comfort at all. they perform, better than the Sony V6's and are a lot easier to drive...but if you want comfort. those two are not for you. If someone said the V600's and V6's have the same comfort, than that works. i didn't care for comfort, just quality so went with the shure's. do i regret it? not one bit, I traded performance for comfort. and these shure's after full burn in....are amazing.

Glad to see your happy with your purchase :p Hope I will be with mine

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,925 of 5,506

Quote:
Glad to see your happy with your purchase :p Hope I will be with mine

You can always return it :) Just make up a really stupid excuse and RMA it. "umm, there is this problem with the sound qualty and yeah..not gonna work" lol jk, but yes i am happy, and if comfort is big to you, you should be too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back