Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Sep 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2,011 of 5,506
Today I was at a housewarming and their teenage son had a pair of Beats Studio. I asked him if they were any good and he just shrugged...
him: they're ok
me: just ok?
him: well... I think my dad's Bose are better

Huh, so we chatted a bit. He got them as a Christmas gift; his dad told him the clerk said "all the cool kids want them". He asks me what I've got... and it just happens that I had met up with a friend an hour earlier to borrow some headphones for a review I'm going to do, so sitting in my car I've got the Pioneer HDJ-2000, Sennheiser HD25-13-ii, and Beyerdynamic DT1350. 

I'll be honest I kinda led up to it, but seriously this was an unfair contest for the Beats.

What were the kid's thoughts?
- dad's Bose was the comfiest (I never did see which model it was)
- favourite sound but least comfortable was the HD25-13
- best isolation DT1350
- best looks HDJ-2000 (he actually didn't like the look of the Beats because too many other people had them)

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #2,012 of 5,506
> (he actually didn't like the look of the Beats because too many other people had them)

Uh oh, sounds like he has an opinion of his own... Alert the uncool-person police!

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2,014 of 5,506

Quote:
 (he actually didn't like the look of the Beats because too many other people had them)  
Uh oh, sounds like he has an opinion of his own...

At least his opinion is informative..
L3000.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2,015 of 5,506
Lol, here in Singapore, I sigh every time I see someone with a beats, especially the pros. This is because a solo hd costs about as much as a grado325 or hd600 and the pros cost more about as much as the grado rs2s (i.e. more than the he-4, hd650, q701s, etc.)

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2,016 of 5,506
Heck yes strike one up for my 25-13s. :D

Also, I agree on the HDJ 2000. Sexy headphones.

Quote:
Today I was at a housewarming and their teenage son had a pair of Beats Studio. I asked him if they were any good and he just shrugged...
him: they're ok
me: just ok?
him: well... I think my dad's Bose are better

Huh, so we chatted a bit. He got them as a Christmas gift; his dad told him the clerk said "all the cool kids want them". He asks me what I've got... and it just happens that I had met up with a friend an hour earlier to borrow some headphones for a review I'm going to do, so sitting in my car I've got the Pioneer HDJ-2000, Sennheiser HD25-13-ii, and Beyerdynamic DT1350. 

I'll be honest I kinda led up to it, but seriously this was an unfair contest for the Beats.

What were the kid's thoughts?
- dad's Bose was the comfiest (I never did see which model it was)
- favourite sound but least comfortable was the HD25-13
- best isolation DT1350
- best looks HDJ-2000 (he actually didn't like the look of the Beats because too many other people had them)

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,017 of 5,506

Quote:
Heck yes strike one up for my 25-13s. :D

Also, I agree on the HDJ 2000. Sexy headphones.

I also got a chance to compare them vs a HD25-1-ii the other day. Bit better low and highs, didn't notice much difference in the mids though.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2,018 of 5,506
I also got a chance to compare them vs a HD25-1-ii the other day. Bit better low and highs, didn't notice much difference in the mids though.

I'd consider them to have great mids already so I'm not too surprised. Though I am pleased to hear that my memory served me well about the 25-1 II

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,019 of 5,506
I have to admit that one reason I'm getting my ATH-WS55 in Red is to ape the Beats look. Then compare with friends who wear those far overpriced headphones. The solo should be about $50-75USD not $225 as it is in Lebanon. The Studio should be $150 max due to NC capability but $400 as it currently is. I've never seen the Pros in stores though. The Phiaton MS300/400 also look pretty slick IMO. But the WS55 is half its price so it won out in the end.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,020 of 5,506

The one time beats actually looked nice. But then again, these girls probably replaced the drivers and housing with custom stuff. HDJ2000 drivers wouldn't hurt.

edit: my touchpad borked the upload...

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2,021 of 5,506
If there are two producers I don't want touching my headphones, they'd be Rick What'sadynamicrange Rubin and Dr. LetsEQthebassto13 Dre. Seriously, in addition to havig debateable medical credentials,this guy IMO doesn't belong in the booth, let alone designing headphones. I'd love to sit in on a Monster development meeting. The one for Beats probably went like this: Step 1, take cheap Sony headphones. Step 2, add N64 Rumble Pak. Step 3, ???. Step 4, Profit.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #2,023 of 5,506
The new stuff is what I'm reffering to. The old stuff is solid, but Detox sounds better with earmuffs on. I'd love to see 1997-era Dre make a headphone, but it's 2011 and I don't own a DeLorean, so that ain't happenin'.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #2,024 of 5,506
Ok so I don't have a "getting called-out" story" but I did see a kid with the Studios I think. He had them on for like 2 minutes and then they resumed to being simply an expensive necklace. I know this is stereotyping, but the kid was basically dragging rich-lawyer mommy into clothing shops to buy stuff for him. He already had a bag with a sneaker box. Basically I felt like it's what the Beats owner stereotype is like - because having your mom buy you stuff at Footlocker is so gangsta.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #2,025 of 5,506
Never been called out for not using the beats. If anything I get compliments for wearing my audiotechnicas out in public. Heck one of my acquaintances I know in college actually wants to buy a pair of my headphones. Plus apparently on the last day of my summer job (the day after I got my headphones from amazon) I got one of the kids who wanted to buy the beats to change their mind and get the M50s. Kinda funny if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back