Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Sep 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #1,996 of 5,506
The topic has shifted into "The X headphone that will beat the beats" Cool, I'll be watching 
popcorn.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,997 of 5,506

Quote:

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Though I must clarify this, I wasn't looking for high-quality headphone that will sound like or that I can EQ to sound like the Beats Pro. Rather I'm curious what high quality headphone out there can provide bass-heavy (well, very bass heavy for intended purpose here) signature without compromising the rest of the spectrum, without the need for eqing and amping. I guess I should've added the amping and eqing factor previously, so my apologies for this; but I'm really curious about this. 

Obviously I'm not looking for anything neutral by asking this, I realize that. 

I don't think headphone companies really want to do that. Most people seeking high quality headphones want the most neutral sound for their money. The general logic is, "The more expensive it is, the more neutral it will be." It's the ultimate goal in everything audio. If you search around though, you'd find high quality headphones that have the capacity to handle some major bass impact, but it will require some kind of EQ or enhancement.

I haven't heard this one headphone, but I've talked to members that have vast headphone knowledge. I think the ATH-L3000 might be one of the ultimate basshead headphones.
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #1,998 of 5,506
RANT TIME

Saw this on Youtube:

"I tried some good sennheiser headphones the 595 HDs and they were awful. They were too bulky, the volume didnt go loud enough, it didnt come with a case, and beleive it or not, the leakage was much worse than the studios. The beats were much better, and are a good pair of headphones, even for the price."

I think you guys can pick out the obvious stupidities in this statement, so I'm not going to point them out.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,999 of 5,506

Quote:
RANT TIME

Saw this on Youtube:

"I tried some good sennheiser headphones the 595 HDs and they were awful. They were too bulky, the volume didnt go loud enough, it didnt come with a case, and beleive it or not, the leakage was much worse than the studios. The beats were much better, and are a good pair of headphones, even for the price."

I think you guys can pick out the obvious stupidities in this statement, so I'm not going to point them out.

Just a wild guess, the person probably looks like Eminem's little brother and was probably under 16 right?

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #2,001 of 5,506
The Sennheisers are open-ear because the Germans ran out of material for earcups.

Why would anyone buy headphones so cheap that the manufacturer can't seal off the sound?  All the bass will leak out, and the sound will be shrill and thin.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #2,002 of 5,506

Quote:
The Sennheisers are open-ear because the Germans ran out of material for earcups.

Why would anyone buy headphones so cheap that the manufacturer can't seal off the sound?  All the bass will leak out, and the sound will be shrill and thin.

wow....just wow... totally not true. i have hd 650s and they are anything but thin. the bass is definitely emphasized but its not overpowering, its tight, clean, and quite natural sounding.... as for the shrillness, there isn't any, its very laidback and smooth

Quote:
Yeah, I tried out the Aviators at my local Best Buy and was quite surprised by their quality--get rid of that silly little skull and you'd have an extremely handsome pair of headphones with good sound, to boot.

i heard them at the apple store yesterday. while they ARE better than the beats (mids and highs aren't as recessed and the bass is not as overpowering and muddy), i am the not too impressed by them, they still feel crappy kind of (hard to explain) and their sound quality is still nowhere near what u could get for 150 dollars. they still have recessed mids and crappy bass, definitely not worth 150 dollars. however, i am happy to see that they sound better than beats and that skullcandy is slowly working on making better cans.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #2,003 of 5,506
That snazzyiphoneguy is ridiculous. He claims that the HE-6 requires at least 10 watts of power, and yet Hifiman is pairing with a EF5 that gives out 2 watts of power ? Even if the efficiency on the hifiman website is db/W, 10W would give something like 100db. This way too crazy, unless I'm missing something ? 

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,004 of 5,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Elysian said:

wow....just wow... totally not true. i have hd 650s and they are anything but thin. the bass is definitely emphasized but its not overpowering, its tight, clean, and quite natural sounding.... as for the shrillness, there isn't any, its very laidback and smooth

I think he was ironically making fun of people who assume that a sealed headphone is better and that open headphones are cheap-made. I mean, would anyone believe Sennheiser didn't close the HD595 because they ran out of plastic?
blink.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2,007 of 5,506

Quote:
That snazzyiphoneguy is ridiculous. He claims that the HE-6 requires at least 10 watts of power, and yet Hifiman is pairing with a EF5 that gives out 2 watts of power ? Even if the efficiency on the hifiman website is db/W, 10W would give something like 100db. This way too crazy, unless I'm missing something ? 

Well basically everyone in the HE-6 thread says you get the best sound quality out of them when you use speaker amps rated for ~50 watts. The HE-6 scale really well with more power, so it's not that ridiculous. Hifiman even provides an adapter for speaker taps.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2,009 of 5,506
Quote:
I think he was ironically making fun of people who assume that a sealed headphone is better and that open headphones are cheap-made. I mean, would anyone believe Sennheiser didn't close the HD595 because they ran out of plastic?
blink.gif

I guess the sarcasm was a bit too veiled... maybe like the sound of the Beats? :wink:

Nice avatar pic, btw.  Would love to hear a mixtape from Skrillex someday.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,010 of 5,506
Agreed.

Also. Still can't decide how I feel about you. Some of your stuff is great and then some of it just rakes my ears. Put out some new stuff so I can judge you further.

Quote:

Analog cables work. No one cares what you think about my dp. Also trying to flamebait is failtroll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back