FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?
Feb 16, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #91 of 142
Yep, smoother doesn't have to mean roll off. When I still had the earphone, the upper range always have some grain, some sort of grating quality that makes it tiring to listen to after a long time. The slightly distant mid range forced me to turn up the volume, which increased the fatigue.

As much as I like to get perfect sound out of portable setup, it is just not possible. What more I got my whole Stax set for about the cost of a custom iem, but it sounds better than my custom iem. When you're on the go, earphone/ portable headphone makes more sense but at home I came to realize that comfort is so important for me. Oh and one more thing I realized, performance/price ratio wise, desktop setup often outperforms a portable setup. Still it depends on your need, at home or on the go.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #92 of 142

Quote:
Yep, smoother doesn't have to mean roll off. When I still had the earphone, the upper range always have some grain, some sort of grating quality that makes it tiring to listen to after a long time. The slightly distant mid range forced me to turn up the volume, which increased the fatigue.

As much as I like to get perfect sound out of portable setup, it is just not possible. What more I got my whole Stax set for about the cost of a custom iem, but it sounds better than my custom iem. When you're on the go, earphone/ portable headphone makes more sense but at home I came to realize that comfort is so important for me. Oh and one more thing I realized, performance/price ratio wise, desktop setup often outperforms a portable setup. Still it depends on your need, at home or on the go.

Koonhua what quality was lacking in the IE8 that made you part with it? I must say after owning the EX1000 an then moving to the FX700 it really put the nail in the coffin on my IE8. But since upgrading to the IE80 it's really been a 360 spin. I'm now just finding myself irritated with the FX700s imperfections and it's now on the for sale forum.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #93 of 142

Quote:
Koonhua what quality was lacking in the IE8 that made you part with it? I must say after owning the EX1000 an then moving to the FX700 it really put the nail in the coffin on my IE8. But since upgrading to the IE80 it's really been a 360 spin. I'm now just finding myself irritated with the FX700s imperfections and it's now on the for sale forum.

The midbass hump, the lack of the air in the upper midrange, the overly laid back presentation, the slight reverb which I could hear due to the plastic housing, among other things.I personally think that the FX-700 is worth more than the IE8. 

That's why after like 5 or 6 so called TOTL universal iems, I turned to custom iem, getting the JH16. Then even after that the fit is not good, and 3 times refit did not fix it, so I turned to headphones.

Start with the LCD-3, not my type of signature, and I am lazy to change cable and amp just to get it to sound right, and on top of that the weight is just too much. Then I was out looking for another headphone. I chanced upon the Stax SRM T1 amp, and after some PM with the owner the person agreed to sell me his Stax 507 too.

So far it gets everything right, except the comfort could be better. From here up, I am looking at Stax 007 and 009, but 009 is out of my reach, for now. If I get the 007, I will always know that there is something up there for not much more, so I decided to save up and go straight to the top.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #94 of 142
I once stated here that there was no universal IEM that could match my custom 1964-Q. And there wasn't any from what I've heard. The EX1000, FX700 and couple others came close in various aspects, but never in the whole sound.

Now something has come along and change my whole way of thinking. The universal Aurisonics ASG-1 is toe-to-toe with my 1964-Q, and is probably about to surpass it with continual burn-in. With that stated, let me say that this universal IEM won't be for everybody. First, it's a universal that fits like a custom. The manufacturer stated 90 percent fit of most ears, but you may be out of that 90 percentile range. 

These are so me, however, that I have put my W4 and Sony XBA-4 up for sale (along with most of my other top universals and some cheapies). I will be keeping the 1964-Q and the GR07 though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #95 of 142

Quote:
The TF10 really excel at dubstep. They just have the unnatural sound which goes well with dubstep (which sounds unnatural to begin with). I'm anxious to get my Custom pair back from resehll soon.

I agree on the TF10. I really like dubstep with MG7. Its sub bass is unbelievable.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #96 of 142
Too many choices my friends...sigh.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #97 of 142
Thought the stax sr001 still takes the cake for me! It's arguable if they can be considered an "iem".

I also agree and echo a lot of the shared sentiments in this thread, iems are simply the way to go. Despite the fact I've dabble in quite a bit of dynamics/electrostats set-ups.

It's quite easy to manage the maintenance of iems as compared to their full size counterparts e.g replacing the headband on a vintage Stax Sigma or taking apart an orthos.
It's also easier to stick with one transparent dap instead of having to construct an entire system with endless matchmaking and synergy choices, there's always the worry of something obvious you're missing out on. And then the whole issues with interconnects, power source, and sound science.

In order of preference. Not including any customs I own or heard:

Stax Sr001
Westone um3x <=> Sony Ex1000
Vsonic gr07
Earsonics sm3
Audio Technica Ck10
Sennheiser Ie8 <=> Ultimate ears tf10
Etymotic er4s
Hifman re262
Hifiman re-zero
etc.

Rough summary for me. Subject to change.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #98 of 142

Quote:
Thought the stax sr001 still takes the cake for me! It's arguable if they can be considered an "iem".
I also agree and echo a lot of the shared sentiments in this thread, iems are simply the way to go. Despite the fact I've dabble in quite a bit of dynamics/electrostats set-ups.
It's quite easy to manage the maintenance of iems as compared to their full size counterparts e.g replacing the headband on a vintage Stax Sigma or taking apart an orthos.
It's also easier to stick with one transparent dap instead of having to construct an entire system with endless matchmaking and synergy choices, there's always the worry of something obvious you're missing out on. And then the whole issues with interconnects, power source, and sound science.
Stax Sr001
Vsonic gr07
Earsonics sm3
Audio Technica Ck10
Etymotic er4s
Hifman re262
Hifiman re-zero
etc.

wait......WHAT...... Stax has an IEM?!!!!!!!!  How the hell did I miss that?

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #99 of 142

wait......WHAT...... Stax has an IEM?!!!!!!!!  How the hell did I miss that?

I wouldn't call it a monitor, though they are in-ears.
Well where were you then ! :D

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #100 of 142
Well, aleast I'm on the verge of correcting this newly found void in my collection. I've already got Musica Acoustics hunt in Japan for 2 new sets (one or listening, the other for an amp project) of SR001's.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #101 of 142
Quote:
Stax Sr001
Vsonic gr07
Earsonics sm3
Audio Technica Ck10
Etymotic er4s
Hifman re262
Hifiman re-zero
etc.

Thank you for your input!  I am back to possibly considering the UM3X over the W4 as of lately, where as before I was almost sold on the W4. 

Do you feel like the UM3X is a good complement to the EX1000?  Any experience with the W4 in comparison?

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #102 of 142
Thank you for your input!  I am back to possibly considering the UM3X over the W4 as of lately, where as before I was almost sold on the W4. 

Do you feel like the UM3X is a good complement to the EX1000?  Any experience with the W4 in comparison?

I have only listened to the westone 4 in passing, it's not safe to assume I can still recall the exact signature. But what I can tell you is that they remind me of the westone 3 but slightly more balanced, less of that mid-bass hump and slightly less sparkling highs. Wouldn't call it a improvment over the um3x per say, rather more colored if you ask me. It's really going to depend on your music preferences in the end as well. I think there's nothing wrong with going with an um3x as a complement to the ex1000, they do share similar characteristics of smoothness but in the end the um3x has the slight advantage in terms of low-end quantity/reproduction/overall energy. Worth a try, prices are good, comfort is excellent, so is ergonomics, fit is easy,and once they disappear in your ears, you'll find them excellent with the right source. Not dull or lifeless as some people say, nor are they "laid-back".
Just my two cents of course.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #103 of 142
Well, aleast I'm on the verge of correcting this newly found void in my collection. I've already got Musica Acoustics hunt in Japan for 2 new sets (one or listening, the other for an amp project) of SR001's.

They are much harder to find as opposed to before, unless you buy them retail from audiocubes. But they only sell the home audio version I believe, not the mk2. Which is a good thing, because paired with the right setup, these small stats start to sound suspiciously like the omegas I auditioned.:D

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #104 of 142
Next question: I know about the differences between the W4 and UM3X sound signatures, but can anyone chime in on his/her preferences who have spent time with both of them?

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #105 of 142
Well, head-fi has one more member coming to the same conundrum as all others here: ex1000 vs fx700. Just sold off my W4s, because I found them to be a bit boring (to say the least). I would REALLY appreciate some help in this regard as I don't want to buy an IEM from abroad and not be able to return it (ie the fx700; since I'm in the U.S.). My other IEMs include the UM Miracle (whose signature I love, but isn't my ideal. Also, I don't carry it everywhere because of the size; and the fact that it's irreplaceable. I would prefer something more "exciting" ), and the hifiman re-272 (which is my absolutely perfect model for treble). I'm also considering the Westone 3 in this regard. I mostly listen to rock 'n roll (85%), blues, perhaps some soundtracks and a bit of drum 'n bass, if not house. Would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back