FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?
Feb 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #121 of 142

Quote:
Quote:
UM3X are nothing like TF10: way better separation, energetic mids. Neutral yes, but not boring at all, although they sound very different from FX700 for example.

Quote:
Someone after "fun" or "dynamic" sound would certainly think so by reading on Head-Fi.
wink.gif

UM3X vs W4. Is W4 more neutral, flat and balanced (and possbily boring)
UM3X is more midcentric vs the V shaped TF10?
UM3X vs FX700: which would you choose?

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #122 of 142

Quote:
UM3X vs W4. Is W4 more neutral, flat and balanced (and possbily boring)
UM3X is more midcentric vs the V shaped TF10?
UM3X vs FX700: which would you choose?

I'll let others answer for W4.

UM3X are not really midcentric, although they would certainly appear so if you audition them right after TF10s. But they certainly don't lack bass and treble, hence the neutral statement, although some people won't appreciate the separation (may be qualified as exagerated when opposed to W4).

UM3X vs FX700? I had both until mid-February. Sold both after I got the SE535 Special Edition. I had FX700 first and enjoyed them fully for 6 months, until I find myself wanting better mids, even at the expense of some bass/treble (which were extremely good on FX700). It was granted with EPH-100 and then UM3X.
Had I obtained a better fit with UM3X (most people do, it seems I'm an exception), I would have kept them instead of buying SE535SE.

So the answer is UM3X, signature is more neutral, and I can't live anymore without excellent separation and solid mids. SE535SE are just more comfortable for me and do provide the same qualities as UM3X (but signature is more midcentric than UM3X so I had to EQ with a light V to go back neutral).

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #123 of 142
My quick take, I have the EX-1000 and think it's one of the best Universal IEM's out there right now (haven't heard FX-700 or the expensive FAD tho...).

But the AKG K3003 exceeds the EX-1000 pretty much across the board (except for soundstage where they are both about as good as IEM's seem to get). Surprising and a bit disapointing to my bank account (I was quite willing to return them if they weren't a real upgrade).

Best, Kevin

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #124 of 142

Quote:
I'll let others answer for W4.

UM3X are not really midcentric, although they would certainly appear so if you audition them right after TF10s. But they certainly don't lack bass and treble, hence the neutral statement, although some people won't appreciate the separation (may be qualified as exagerated when opposed to W4).

UM3X vs FX700? I had both until mid-February. Sold both after I got the SE535 Special Edition. I had FX700 first and enjoyed them fully for 6 months, until I find myself wanting better mids, even at the expense of some bass/treble (which were extremely good on FX700). It was granted with EPH-100 and then UM3X.
Had I obtained a better fit with UM3X (most people do, it seems I'm an exception), I would have kept them instead of buying SE535SE.

So the answer is UM3X, signature is more neutral, and I can't live anymore without excellent separation and solid mids. SE535SE are just more comfortable for me and do provide the same qualities as UM3X (but signature is more midcentric than UM3X so I had to EQ with a light V to go back neutral).

Thanks for some great information. 
I wonder if most people that have owned several different phones with various signatures, in the span of a year, for example, prefer to listen to a more neutral sound?
I had the MG7 and thought they were an excellent phone. There was a time when the sub bass became unnatural and I knew whether listening to live music or high end floor speakers, the sub bass is not exaggerated to that extent.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #125 of 142

Quote:
Thanks for some great information. 
I wonder if most people that have owned several different phones with various signatures, in the span of a year, for example, prefer to listen to a more neutral sound?

As another member recently said, mids are the backbone of most music styles.
As long as people keep listening to music using V shape headphones/IEMs, they won't know they're missing something big (at least I didn't).

I'm not saying everyone will look for absolute neutral (I don't), but at least they won't want to miss half of the music anymore.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #126 of 142

Quote:
As another member recently said, mids are the backbone of most music styles.
As long as people keep listening to music using V shape headphones/IEMs, they won't know they're missing something big (at least I didn't).

I'm not saying everyone will look for absolute neutral (I don't), but at least they won't want to miss half of the music anymore.
wink.gif

I was listening to TF10 last night and came to the same conclusion.
I am going for a more mid centric iem, most probably um3x.
A V shaped signature can lead to fatigue because of the dominant
bass/treble?  That's my impression.
FX700 is being crossed off my list as it's signature is the same
as TF10.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #127 of 142

Quote:
I say go for it my friend.  Based on similar preferences to myself and others, you should love the EX1000s.  Please just keep us updated with your impressions compared to the FX700s - as I'm curious to know them personally.

missed it, shoulda had it... PM'ed a couple days ago but apparently my GALAXY NEXUS browser is incapable of posting and replying to PM's! 

o well, guess it's a good thing I saved close to 3 hundo, but I was really looking forward to that comparison!

but on the other hand, my next purchase is still the EX1000, if I find it for that price again... 

on a side note, just listened to my SR-60i's again (my intro to head-fi) and I was impressed, but only for a few minutes... perhaps it was the luscious mid's, or awesome transparency, but the instrument presentation was incredibly flat, and extremely close to one another... I'll have to do a comparison with the 225's, 60is, MTPG's and FX700's in the near future 

-its crazy how you think one headphone sounds until you literally do the A/B'ing of one another

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #131 of 142

Quote:
You think the CC51 is better than the FX700?
confused.gif
I can understand preferring the MMDT...but the CC51? Different strokes different folks I suppose.

Do you like the miles davis over the FX700? How are they growing on you? Have you noticed any changes with usage?

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #133 of 142
No, I think the FX700 is better...but, I can see how someone might prefer the MMDT due to the signatures being so different. I actually still prefer the MMDT for jazz and hip-hop. The FX700 hasn't had to grow on me since I loved the sound immediately and I haven't noticed any changes, but they were used.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #134 of 142
The FX700 has muffled mids with a thin tone in the midhighs. I preferred the Xcape IE because of that, I rather trade midrange detail for treble detail. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #135 of 142
See, reading what everyone is saying Im wondering if Im not doing something right  I havent had the chance to sit down with them yet (Im still at work) or play with the ear buds but my EX1000's seem to have virtually no bass. My AKG Q350's blow them away with the thump they can dish compared to the EX1000.  Ive plugged them into my iPhone 4 and have been letting them sit in the closed box on 3/4 volume for the past 7 ish hours hoping they just simply suck straight out of the box.

I also look forwad to trying them on my Denon receiver when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back