Full size cans for Metal?
Sep 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

espandon

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I am listening to Metal(heavy,progressive,death,doom,gothic,folk... well everything except black and grind) mainly through SR 325is and Ety ER4S and am mostly very content. But sometimes I feel like I need a little bit punch in bass division especially in the bass and drums department. Also I'd like  a wide soundstage as well since grados may lack it a bit. So I am looking for a pair of cans that will complement my headphone arsenal. I've searched a little bit and found these may fit the criterias:

Beyerdynamic DT 990
Sennheiser HD 600(thought that 650 could be a little too dark and bassy for my tastes)

And the budget is about 350 $.

Well, what do you think?

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 19
I have the SR225 and (de-foamed) HD600, the latter has less bass and mids impact than the Grado. Now I use the SR225 with Pantera, Metallica, etc, and most other music, while the HD600 with the stuff that's too complex for the SR225 to properly bring all the detail out* with better instrument separation, ie, Epica, Mahler, Wagner, etc. I listen to Mudvayne on the HD600 though, the vocals sound better with it. I got the SR225 last year an the HD600 last month mainly because I was looking for more treble and better separation. I suppose with your goals going for the HD600 might not be a good idea given you already have the 325.

Maybe you just nee to tame the 325's treble a little bit? It might be distracting you from the strong mids, and that at least might be enough to keep you from getting bass-ier cans. And what source and amplification do you feed the headphones? I'm using a Marantz CD60 and a Little Dot MkII. My modded DAC-AH is in for repairs but that one, with a tube amp, was the perfect DAC for listening to most Metal albums IMO.

*It either has all the sound compressed or some high notes sticking out at the far left and right

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
I have the SR225 and (de-foamed) HD600, the latter has less bass and mids impact than the Grado. Now I use the SR225 with Pantera, Metallica, etc, and most other music, while the HD600 with the stuff that's too complex for the SR225 to properly bring all the detail out* with better instrument separation, ie, Epica, Mahler, Wagner, etc. I listen to Mudvayne on the HD600 though, the vocals sound better with it. I got the SR225 last year an the HD600 last month mainly because I was looking for more treble and better separation. I suppose with your goals going for the HD600 might not be a good idea given you already have the 325.

Maybe you just nee to tame the 325's treble a little bit? It might be distracting you from the strong mids, and that at least might be enough to keep you from getting bass-ier cans. And what source and amplification do you feed the headphones? I'm using a Marantz CD60 and a Little Dot MkII. My modded DAC-AH is in for repairs but that one, with a tube amp, was the perfect DAC for listening to most Metal albums IMO.

*It either has all the sound compressed or some high notes sticking out at the far left and right

No I am perfectly ok with the highs and also with the mids of 325is. My setup is uDac+head direct EF2, so it clearly warms the sound signature. But all I need is a little impact in the bass department. But sometimes I need a tad more fun headphone  rather than an analytical one. Also I sometimes listen to classical and jazz and SR 325's soundstage presantation is a little on the face for those genres...

I also had listened to 225 and found it a little bit dark for my tastes before I bought the 325.

@classakg

What about A700? Would you describe it a little bit?

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:

@classakg

What about A700? Would you describe it a little bit?

Yeah...they have amazing mids and detail for listening to metal/rock genres, you can hear the separation of all the instruments. 
The bass is also detailed and tight. It brings the punch you need when listening to metal. 
You should give them a listen and see if you like them. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 19
Well thanks but I've looked up a little bit and decided that A 700 might be a downgrade more than an upgrade. I think I couldn't make myself clear. Because I am perfectly happy with Sr 325is' mids and trebles. All I am looking for is a bass monster with a good soundstage that performs Metal well. That's why I consider DT 990 and HD 650...

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 19
I've never heard a DT 990 or the HD 650.
But I do have a DT 880 which I really like for metal.

The DT 990 compared to DT 880 is to have more bass and treble.

If you were configuring the sound in which you could move the treble around like an integrated amp with the DT 880 I would say its at 0. Its might be +1 but really it doesn't have strong treble at all.
Now some people have said the HD 650 has less treble than the DT 880. So it would only make me think its something -0 (negative on the treble side)

As for bass I have read the DT 990 have a real kick to them some people really dig them for metal/hard rock.

HD 650 bass light some say bass heavy others say and dark sounding is what I usually read.

Just considering I own the DT 880 and the DT 990 has more bass I think you would probably be satisfied bass wise.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 19
Although I can't say this for all beyers, I have some and think the bass is enormous compared to my MS1 (which is like a Grado).  So I can't specify on your specific phones listed, but my beyers offer bass and soundstage compared to the MS1 with no soundstage.

So yeah I say look into beyers.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 19
Listening to one of my favourite bands on the DT880 600ohm right now, All That Remains. Sounds fantastic. I think if you prefer a wider soundstage, love to hear cymbals and prefer a neutral headphone, DT880 600ohm are perfect. Grado's are completely different. Small soundstage, very aggressive and upfront sound, mid range is very coloured (sounds AMAZING with guitars) and the highs aren't as good as the Beyerdynamic's. Bass is pretty close though. Bass on both is tight and is also very quick. My DT880 get most head time between HF-2 and DT880, only because they are more comfortable and are plugged into my solid state M^3 amp, making it easier than setting up my MAD Ear+ HD again etc. DT880 imo are great all round cans and I could live with just them forever. Grado HF-2 on the other hand are something I bring out once a week or so and they simply amaze me.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 19
The Beyerdynamic DT 150 (SRP $270) is calling your name. Their visceral midrange easily bests the consumer-line Beyers (DT770/880, etc.) which have a v-shaped curve that I really couldn't stand. High end extends nicely without being too screechy or overbearing, which was my experience on the DT770/880. Despite being closed cans, the DT 150 has an amazingly airy presentation with great detail resolution. It's the one headphone i'll never sell or trade, it's perfect for how I like my metal to sound.

Bass is tight with nice impact on pleather pads, and you can make the mids come out more with the velour pads.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 19
DT880 with a v-shaped curve? No, not at all. They are quite neutral actually. Highs are a bit up there, but mids and bass are definitely not emphasized at all. At least not the 600ohm version...(you would be mad to get any other version anyway).

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 19
I found the DT 880 250ohm to have emphasized highs and bass which left the midrange lacking. Also tried the DT 880 600ohm too, driven by the Audio-GD C2C - still didn't like it's overall feel, while the mids were better the bass got even stronger and head-rattling (perhaps not a good pair with the C2C FWIR makes everything bassy).

I like my mids to be at the forefront, which is why I love my DT 150's. Very righteous reproduction of metal guitar distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back