Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #5,461 of 18,760
I think they would be a good deal at $1k.

It's funny that you ask that though because the first thing I thought when I started listening to the TH900 was that the X1's at their current price are an AMAZING value for the sound they deliver. X1's are a total steal for anyone looking for a can in that range.

That was the exact same thing I thought when I was A/Bing the LCD2 with them

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #5,462 of 18,760
I've got a Q. Why did you opt for 2xconnectors before the Y-split rather than 1xconnector after the Y-split? The reason for my question is that (and I know this is a minor thing and quite a generalisation) but fewer connector components for cleaner signal?

My understanding is having two entry points (Y-split) is actual the "cleaner" signal. Having a direct entry with the shortest cable length is the best design. If you think about it having dual entry wires each driver with the shortest length - meaning very little signal degradation. Granted all your materials (connectors, hook-up wire, solder, etc.) are high quality. Using one entry, would require wire to be feed through the headband which can eventually fray and of course would make the signal have to pass through such small gauge wire and would be longer in comparison.

PS - that sounds a bit confusing, sorry. 
confused_face.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #5,463 of 18,760
My understanding is having two entry points (Y-split) is actual the "cleaner" signal. Having a direct entry with the shortest cable length is the best design. If you think about it having dual entry wires each driver with the shortest length - meaning very little signal degradation. Granted all your materials (connectors, hook-up wire, solder, etc.) are high quality. Using one entry, would require wire to be feed through the headband which can eventually fray and of course would make the signal have to pass through such small gauge wire and would be longer in comparison.

PS - that sounds a bit confusing, sorry. :confused_face:

If I understand you, I think we're talking about different things. I meant why have 2xconnectors above the Y-split instead of having 1xconnector _below_ the Y-split. I wasn't talking about removing the Y-split altogether.

But GG has a good point about resalability of the cable. I assume it's the same cable connector as Audeze LCD's that one could easily swap those cables with his TH-900's (assuming his TH-900 earrings are using the same female socket as the ones in the LCD's).

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #5,464 of 18,760
If I understand you, I think we're talking about different things. I meant why have 2xconnectors above the Y-split instead of having 1xconnector _below_ the Y-split. I wasn't talking about removing the Y-split altogether.

But GG has a good point about resalability of the cable. I assume it's the same cable connector as Audeze LCD's that one could easily swap those cables with his TH-900's (assuming his TH-900 earrings are using the same female socket as the ones in the LCD's).

Ah... My apologies I did miss understand you. The way GG had it done was actually a good idea. Much like how Steve does it @ Q Audio.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #5,465 of 18,760

Yes, they're the same connectors as Audeze's because we find Audeze cables the most popular.

Ah... My apologies I did miss understand you. The way GG had it done was actually a good idea. Much like how Steve does it @ Q Audio.

Yup, I believe the "Triple Threat" (the cable mod done on my TH900) from DHC was the first to introduce such a concept into the market because the others figured they would sell fewer cables if one could just use the same cable for different headphones. Then everyone followed suit because it didn't really matter in the end since many others agree with Anak that introducing more connectors into the chain may theoretically cause sound degradation.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #5,466 of 18,760
Hi guys, i got my new fostex th900 from amazon $1499 so excited waiting for its arrival to my country! Would like to check if my old ibasso mamba d4 would be a great match for my portable on e go music? If yes what mp3 player would u advice me to go with to have a high end listening experiences? Fiio x3 is currently in my mind now. Thanks in advance so much great comment on th900 love it!!!

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #5,467 of 18,760
Question for the HE-500 & TH900 owners: the HE-500's treble presentation is my limit, more forward than neutral but smooth.  How does the TH900's treble compare?  More or less?  Just as smooth? 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5,468 of 18,760
  Question for the HE-500 & TH900 owners: the HE-500's treble presentation is my limit, more forward than neutral but smooth.  How does the TH900's treble compare?  More or less?  Just as smooth? 

Definitely more and a tad brighter sounding. Obviously this depends on your upstream gear a bit, but I find the treble to be about the same quantity as the older D7K, but much smoother and better quality. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #5,469 of 18,760
listening to TH-900 with GSX MK2 now, this is actually a really good pairing, the bass is so controlled yet still strong, but not overpowering as with my WA6-SE (the bass would of been great for bassheads, but it kinda did bleed into the mids and was really fatiguing, i found the TH-900 to be even bassier than D7k with my WA6-SE, bass was cleaner and better than d7k, but also more fatiguing cause it was so strong). 

anyways with GSX, theres a sense of liquidity to the sound, though still neutral, just any grain the headphones had is gone. and the imaging/soundstage is great, theres no closed in feeling at all. really happy with how it sounds with TH-900 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,470 of 18,760
  listening to TH-900 with GSX MK2 now, this is actually a really good pairing, the bass is so controlled yet still strong, but not overpowering as with my WA6-SE (the bass would of been great for bassheads, but it kinda did bleed into the mids and was really fatiguing, i found the TH-900 to be even bassier than D7k with my WA6-SE, bass was cleaner and better than d7k, but also more fatiguing cause it was so strong). 

anyways with GSX, theres a sense of liquidity to the sound, though still neutral, just any grain the headphones had is gone. and the imaging/soundstage is great, theres no closed in feeling at all. really happy with how it sounds with TH-900 
biggrin.gif

Happy you gave the GS-X a go? It transformers good to great! 
biggrin.gif

Best pairing I've heard so far, bests the WA7 combo. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #5,473 of 18,760

biggrin.gif

+1 Great combo
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #5,474 of 18,760
I have read about some great pairings, like WA7 and GS-X, but I would like to hear if any of one have tried Centrence Hifi-M8 with Th900. I would like a simple bedside rig and I like the thought of taking the Hifi-M8 out together with Audio Technica Es10. Seems like a versatile amp.

Any thoughts?

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #5,475 of 18,760
What do you guys think of the HP-AC8? I imagine it's tuned specifically with the TH900 in mind so how would it compare to other amp/dacs (including the ones that are more high-end).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back