Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5,476 of 18,761
What do you guys think of the HP-AC8? I imagine it's tuned specifically with the TH900 in mind so how would it compare to other amp/dacs (including the ones that are more high-end).

I had a brief listen to it (so don't take this as gospel) and it sounded pretty good. Nice punchy bass, quite well controlled, and a nice presentation of the mids which i am guessing are tailored to the TH900's. I did feel the details were lacking in comparison to my DP1 and the soundstage was not as wide. Either way I think it is a decent unit for the money, I would love to do a proper side by side comparison one day.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #5,477 of 18,761
  What do you guys think of the HP-AC8? I imagine it's tuned specifically with the TH900 in mind so how would it compare to other amp/dacs (including the ones that are more high-end).

I demo'ed that a while ago and find while sounding okay nice with controlled deep bass, I don't like the quite spicy treble.  I would also prefer to have a fuller sound overall as it was a bit hallow/thin sounding.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #5,478 of 18,761

Before I decided to get a balanced amp I was looking to replace my E1 muses edition with ether HP-AC8 or m903, surprisingly "SQ-alone" the muses edition sounded better so I kept it until I replaced it with the Calyx Femto

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #5,479 of 18,761
I owned my HP-A8 for about 9 months. To me it did better than my Benchmark DAC1 Pre but it still wasn't satisfying as I found it a little slow. I think the amp portion of the HP-A8 was the let-down cos using it as a DAC only the AKM itself was actually quite nice.

Personally I feel the WA7 pairs really well with the TH-900 & is great value for money. Currently I'm running a modified Zana Deux with an Invicta DAC & can't be happier.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,481 of 18,761
I owned my HP-A8 for about 9 months. To me it did better than my Benchmark DAC1 Pre but it still wasn't satisfying as I found it a little slow. I think the amp portion of the HP-A8 was the let-down cos using it as a DAC only the AKM itself was actually quite nice.

Personally I feel the WA7 pairs really well with the TH-900 & is great value for money. Currently I'm running a modified Zana Deux with an Invicta DAC & can't be happier.

Yeah, the WA7 is one of the items I've been looking at, and I've heard a couple other people say it pairs well with the TH900 as well.

Only thing I'm worried about with that is that it is USB only for the DAC, no optical port.

I plan on using the analog RCA inputs for my Astro Mixamp so I can hook up a mic and get surround sound. With my current setup, whenever the USB is hooked up there is quite a significant buzzing noise that can be heard when using the Mixamp for gaming. As soon as the USB is disconnected, the noise goes away... that is why I have been using the optical port on my Fiio E17.

I'm hoping there wouldn't be any noise issues with the USB on the WA7.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5,482 of 18,761
Had to upgrade much of my music collection to FLAC as a lot of my music actually sounded kinda bad on the TH900's lol. It's crazy how much more they pick up compared to my old headphones.

FLAC tracks are sounding AMAZING!

On other headphones, the difference between lower bitrates and FLAC was questionable, but the differences are very apparent now.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #5,483 of 18,761
Had to upgrade much of my music collection to FLAC as a lot of my music actually sounded kinda bad on the TH900's lol. It's crazy how much more they pick up compared to my old headphones.

FLAC tracks are sounding AMAZING!

On other headphones, the difference between lower bitrates and FLAC was questionable, but the differences are very apparent now.

I think it could have more to do with the mastering and post production of the particular album/track than the format itself. With my better IEM and headphone I became much less tolerant of poorly done tracks.... and Th900 is one of more transparent cans...

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #5,484 of 18,761

Yeah, the WA7 is one of the items I've been looking at, and I've heard a couple other people say it pairs well with the TH900 as well.

Only thing I'm worried about with that is that it is USB only for the DAC, no optical port.

I plan on using the analog RCA inputs for my Astro Mixamp so I can hook up a mic and get surround sound. With my current setup, whenever the USB is hooked up there is quite a significant buzzing noise that can be heard when using the Mixamp for gaming. As soon as the USB is disconnected, the noise goes away... that is why I have been using the optical port on my Fiio E17.

I'm hoping there wouldn't be any noise issues with the USB on the WA7.

I have been using my TH-900 with CEntrance Dacmini and its dead silent and no hiss. If you are able to give them a try i'm sure you will like it because at that price point i see they are very worthwhile. Dacmini makes it sounds fun and very musical and if you want it to be more dynamic and powerful then plus burson ha-160 into the combo. Bear in mind those dacmini & ha-160 is not too expensive to try at but gives good performance and quality too. 

I just got Naim Nait XS2 amp for my home setup and i now play it with: 
laptop ->(stock usb cable) Dacmini ->(wireworld eclipse 3 rca interconnect) Nait XS2 -> TH-900 = WOW

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #5,485 of 18,761

I have been using my TH-900 with CEntrance Dacmini and its dead silent and no hiss. If you are able to give them a try i'm sure you will like it because at that price point i see they are very worthwhile. Dacmini makes it sounds fun and very musical and if you want it to be more dynamic and powerful then plus burson ha-160 into the combo. Bear in mind those dacmini & ha-160 is not too expensive to try at but gives good performance and quality too. 

I just got Naim Nait XS2 amp for my home setup and i now play it with: 
laptop ->(stock usb cable) Dacmini ->(wireworld eclipse 3 rca interconnect) Nait XS2 -> TH-900 = WOW

That Dacmini looks pretty interesting. Something like that suits my needs as it has analog inputs for my Astro Mixamp (console gaming) and Optical for my PC.

I've decided on a budget of $2000 or under for the DAC and AMP that I end up getting. Can be separate or an all-in-one solution. What's the best you can get with that budget?

From what I've read about the WA7, it's a fantastic amp but could do with a better separate DAC.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #5,486 of 18,761
So the recabling was a success! Props to DHC for their craftsmanship~~

I'd like to use the cables I already have for my LCD-3s on the 900s, but I'd rather have the mini XLR connectors flush-mounted on the cups. Is anyone out there doing such a conversion?

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #5,487 of 18,761
I'd like to use the cables I already have for my LCD-3s on the 900s, but I'd rather have the mini XLR connectors flush-mounted on the cups. Is anyone out there doing such a conversion?

Well for that to happen one must carve the hole bigger on the beautiful cups. If you're okay with that then Double Helix Cables may be able to do it for you though they might not because of liability issues. You can ask him via email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back