Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #5,446 of 18,761
I had BTG do the "earring" mod with mini XLRs to mine as well. Makes the Y-split on the stock cable annoyingly low, but I mostly use it with a balanced cable anyway. Now I'm looking for a super short cable for my on-can DAP experiment.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #5,447 of 18,761
Yeah only reason I had to get the recabling done is because I'm going to be using it on different rigs. Can't carry around 10ft of cable and a 1/4-1/8 adapter around. Also need to go balanced.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5,448 of 18,761
Got my TH-900 in today. Can't wait to get home from class and give them the first listen!

Just curious, is the box supposed to be sealed from the factory? I'm sure mine is new and all but it wasn't sealed with a sticker or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #5,449 of 18,761
Got my TH-900 in today. Can't wait to get home from class and give them the first listen!

Just curious, is the box supposed to be sealed from the factory? I'm sure mine is new and all but it wasn't sealed with a sticker or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

The box that my TH900's came in did not have any plastic wrap or sticker if i remember correctly.
EDIT: both pairs sent to me had no clear plastic or stickers

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5,452 of 18,761
Initial impressions after listening:

- Nice clean bass that hits pretty good.
- Significant step up from mid-fi cans I have tried when it comes to overall clarity. I am able to pick up sounds that I didn't hear on some open mid-fi cans which surprised me.

Not a fan of this cable though. It's my first set of cans with the Y-splitter design and I do not like it. Much prefer the cable going into one side only as you can throw the cans on and forget about it. But this Y cable is a constant nag and sometimes drags on the right earcup (I have the wire going down towards my left side).

I do have to question the price on these though... I think they would be better priced at the $1000 range. The old prices of $2000-2300 are pretty crazy.

Aside from the quibbles with the cable on these things, I am enjoying the sound so far.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #5,453 of 18,761
Initial impressions after listening:

- Nice clean bass that hits pretty good.
- Significant step up from mid-fi cans I have tried when it comes to overall clarity. I am able to pick up sounds that I didn't hear on some open mid-fi cans which surprised me.

Not a fan of this cable though. It's my first set of cans with the Y-splitter design and I do not like it. Much prefer the cable going into one side only as you can throw the cans on and forget about it. But this Y cable is a constant nag and sometimes drags on the right earcup (I have the wire going down towards my left side).

I do have to question the price on these though... I think they would be better priced at the $1000 range. The old prices of $2000-2300 are pretty crazy.

Aside from the quibbles with the cable on these things, I am enjoying the sound so far.

What mid-fi cans are you comparing to

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #5,454 of 18,761
What mid-fi cans are you comparing to

The Philips Fidelio X1's and AKG k702 Anniversaries (although I haven't heard the Anniversaries in a while and haven't compared them side by side with the TH900's).

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #5,455 of 18,761
Yeah only reason I had to get the recabling done is because I'm going to be using it on different rigs. Can't carry around 10ft of cable and a 1/4-1/8 adapter around. Also need to go balanced.

I've got a Q. Why did you opt for 2xconnectors before the Y-split rather than 1xconnector after the Y-split? The reason for my question is that (and I know this is a minor thing and quite a generalisation) but fewer connector components for cleaner signal?

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #5,456 of 18,761
The Philips Fidelio X1's and AKG k702 Anniversaries (although I haven't heard the Anniversaries in a while and haven't compared them side by side with the TH900's).

So, sound like they're worth $700 more than the X1 to you? Maybe I will get them if they ever drop to $1k...

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #5,457 of 18,761
Another thing I noticed, going from open to closed, I was expecting them to be much quieter sound leakage wise... but when listening at a decent volume, these things still leak a lot even though they are closed.

I think if you were sitting next to someone, they would be able to hear exactly what you're listening to.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5,458 of 18,761
So, sound like they're worth $700 more than the X1 to you? Maybe I will get them if they ever drop to $1k...

I think they would be a good deal at $1k.

It's funny that you ask that though because the first thing I thought when I started listening to the TH900 was that the X1's at their current price are an AMAZING value for the sound they deliver. X1's are a total steal for anyone looking for a can in that range.

It's surprising how easy the TH900 are to drive. I'm listening at around the same volume level I would be listening to the X1's.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5,459 of 18,761
I've got a Q. Why did you opt for 2xconnectors before the Y-split rather than 1xconnector after the Y-split? The reason for my question is that (and I know this is a minor thing and quite a generalisation) but fewer connector components for cleaner signal?

I get your reason for asking, and acknowledge it as well, since it is most likely correct in a theoretical sense.

There are two reasons why I went with this styling.
1. Simply, resale of the bottom cable. Basically the cable that will connect to these connectors will be a regular cable, not one that is tailored to this recable job.
2. The balanced cable I'm going with is going to be a high end one that basically separates the left and right channels completely. It won't fit into a single connector.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #5,460 of 18,761
  Another thing I noticed, going from open to closed, I was expecting them to be much quieter sound leakage wise... but when listening at a decent volume, these things still leak a lot even though they are closed.

I think if you were sitting next to someone, they would be able to hear exactly what you're listening to.

Time to be a hipster and flaunt all the dubstep and edm possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back