Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #166 of 18,761

Quote:
By including a cheap wood box, some foam, and no stand?

Exactly!  Lol, the cheap box was marketed very nicely you have to admit.  The packaging with the little touches like various paper textures is nice.  I thought the box was a bit of a joke too but it had a story probably more imagined than real.  I also didn't like the Stax printing on the box either, not as nice as previous iterations.

That stand is practically worthless and actually damaging not to mention straight blue light special.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #167 of 18,761
The stand does look like an afterthought, and I'm probably not going to use it. Looking at the pictures I'd worry about it falling over lol.

Though I imagine someone could mod it with a bit of foam or something if they were so inclined to take the pressure off those two points.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #168 of 18,761

Quote:
The stand does look like an afterthought, and I'm probably not going to use it. Looking at the pictures I'd worry about it falling over lol.

Though I imagine someone could mod it with a bit of foam or something if they were so inclined to take the pressure off those two points.

It looks like it has a little Fostex badged pigtail that I imagine is a counterweight.  Otherwise I can't imagine it not falling over.  If it doesn't tip and you lay some foam or belt leather over the hook it'll be fine.  But really...lacquer and Platinum leaf on that thing?

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #169 of 18,761
Does anyone actually use headphone stands? They seem like they would all damage the headphones more than having them sitting on a table on their side. I certainly won't ever use one, but I appreciate how they look in pictures.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #170 of 18,761
Quote:
Does anyone actually use headphone stands? They seem like they would all damage the headphones more than having them sitting on a table on their side. I certainly won't ever use one, but I appreciate how they look in pictures.

I do.  Its convenient since the stand takes up less space than the headphone sitting on its side on some sort of towel or pad..

Why would they get damaged unless you used a silly one with such a narrow point of contact like the one included with the TH900?

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #171 of 18,761
I look at the Stax stands and think they headband pad is getting stretched much more than necessary, other stands I've seen are even worse. About the only one I've seen that is not very invasive are the Omega shaped wood ply ones from Sieveking Sound:

16large.jpg

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #172 of 18,761

Quote:
I look at the Stax stands and think they headband pad is getting stretched much more than necessary, other stands I've seen are even worse. About the only one I've seen that is not very invasive are the Omega shaped wood ply ones from Sieveking Sound:

Those still compress the pads and will not likely help w/ individual fit and seal over the long haul.  I use this.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #174 of 18,761

Quote:

I also think most of the headphone stands are poorly designed. They either don't give enough surface to spread the pressure, they either mimic the size and shape of a head but using those is like never giving your headphone's physical structure a break from clamping or driver air enclosing.

Though I use two Sennheiser HH10. They are versatile and small enough, they do have a fair amount of surface to let the headband sit, and cushioning. They leave the headphone in their natural position and breathing, they let the accumulated skin oils and residues gravitate towards a fairly neutral direction, even though I always lay my Grados to rest on a Scott towel, in their pads, in their box, for that, when needed.

But they have to be hung high to function, so usage without enough or with too much tightening (say that it breaks) and they could fall with your weighty headphone on it (for me it's a HP2 but I can't imagine something like a SR009, that would be improper to used these together I think). Once I mis-grabbed the SR1000 (it looked like I had punched it but I just wasn't paying attention) and it almost felt down by itself. They offer no cable management... actually no stand has ever offered that yet.

I should start building a proper headphone storage system making business.

Two because I use two headphones at the time, not literally speaking, and I leave the others in their box. My bad headphones go in a fabric bag.

*Added note: dang people post faster than I do, lol

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #175 of 18,761
Quote:

I forgot about those ones.  I can see them being bad for the pads.  I guess there are more bad ones than I realized.  I've got one of the Sennheiser ones Anax just posted clamped to my bed's headboard and one of these Woo Audio stands in silver sitting on top of my PC's tower case.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #177 of 18,761
So the lowest price is 157.262JPY at the moment? (that would be with DHL to Belgium)
And does PriceJapan declare the full value or can they be reasoned with?
Here in Belgium you can count on 30% VAT and import.

EDIT: Since I am bound to be ordering more phones straight from Japan in the future, is there anyone I can contact at PriceJapan regarding shipping/decalration possibilities? I keep hearing about Kaneda?

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #178 of 18,761
If you can get the quoted price Y129,000 from PriceJapan (or in your case whatever it may be after DHL/credit card fees added), you should snap on it. I can't find -any- of the regular places in Tokyo/Japan offering the TH900 at that price. The cheapest in Kakaku is Y149,000 (BIC Camera & Softmap). All other places selling at Y157,500.

If PriceJapan can truly deliver at that price (may it be delivery within Japan or overseas), I really wonder how they do it. For foreigners and locals living in Japan, usually we'd search through Kakaku or Rakuten for cheapest prices. I may need to monitor PriceJapan if they truly can deliver at their stated prices.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #179 of 18,761
I am waiting for some more impression....
want to decide to get hd-700 or save abit more for this TH900,,

i worry this is just the fancy version...
and they may release a normal version just with out the expensive paint finish....

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #180 of 18,761

Quote:
If you can get the quoted price Y129,000 from PriceJapan (or in your case whatever it may be after DHL/credit card fees added), you should snap on it. I can't find -any- of the regular places in Tokyo/Japan offering the TH900 at that price. The cheapest in Kakaku is Y149,000 (BIC Camera & Softmap). All other places selling at Y157,500.

If PriceJapan can truly deliver at that price (may it be delivery within Japan or overseas), I really wonder how they do it. For foreigners and locals living in Japan, usually we'd search through Kakaku or Rakuten for cheapest prices. I may need to monitor PriceJapan if they truly can deliver at their stated prices.

Indeed, the price sounds good to me but I would like to contact them first. If I don't do that I will pay 50.000JPY on VAT and import here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back