Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #136 of 18,760
Muppet, stores in JP are stocking them. I saw 2 on the shelves of e-earphone in Akiba on Friday.
7eb84092-5068-2cf1.jpg

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #138 of 18,760
Not in e-earphones but I tried them out in last year's Tokyo Headphone Festival & Jan's Headphone Amp Festival. Both time with my source.

Nice but hard to tell cos isolation isn't that great (at least to me) - without cranking up the volume too much. Personally to me, I'm happy enough with my Ed8 & I'm not certain if the gains are worth the extra ¥50,000 over the Ed8's.

Pls don't get me wrong, they are good.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #140 of 18,760
Probably not a good idea for me to comment now as I've had a few drinks & I'm still in a club at the moment (!!) but...

Law of diminishing returns, mate :). If I didn't have the Ed8's I'd probably consider getting these.

It's funny that after a certain thresh hold (whatever it may be for each individual), the price of headphones seem to increase dramatically with slightly less gains.

At least to me, the only exception is the SR-009's (driven by a decent amp).

P.S. I'm probably going to regret saying this publically when I'm more sober tomorrow morning.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #142 of 18,760
Quote:
Probably not a good idea for me to comment now as I've had a few drinks & I'm still in a club at the moment (!!) but...

Aren't we all in clubs at 3 A.M. on Saturday nights?

Diminishing returns are like this (20 seconds in mspaint...)

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #143 of 18,760
It's the Urushi lacquered wood that make this headphone costly (*and the 1.5 tesla... but that's plain obvious a technological advancement of a headphone is to cost more, that's why companies like Sennheiser release HD800, call it their flagship and make it their pride)(that will make up for the difference in price next to a Denon AH-D7000), about the difference in price between the Audio-Technica W5000 and the W3000ANV costlier, but a bit less because W3000ANV isn't strictly just a coated W5000.

The Urushi lacquer made from the sap of Rhus vernicifula, which is a native plant of the northeast Asian forest, has 10 layers applied by the hands of artisans and has to dry between each layer. It's a painstaking process, old of 6500+ years and is Japanese traditional, if not exclusive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_lacquerware

But you knew that already.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #145 of 18,760

Quote:
Diminishing returns are like this (20 seconds in mspaint...)

Eh, not exactly. A more accurate chart would have the price and performance curves be essentially mirror images of each other. Performance would increase sharply while price builds gradually. At the other end, performance would begin to level off, while price would skyrocket.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #146 of 18,760
Well it's a 20 second graph.

You can type Law of diminished returns on Google, it's a real phenomenon in economics.

Just like DaveBSC described, very accurately at that, lol

Except that we need to modify it a little to reflect the situation of most really high priced headphones, except maybe the Ultrasone 10 where you might really fall into the negative returns.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #148 of 18,760
Wow wow wow, @devouringone3,

Where did U find the TH900 for ¥129,000? I just checked Rakuten & Kakaku & the cheapest is ¥149,000!!

This could be whole different story (for me) if the TH900 can be purchased for that price!!

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #149 of 18,760

Quote:
Just like DaveBSC described, very accurately at that, lol

Except that we need to modify it a little, unless a Ultrasone 10 isn't really like Tyll Hertsens of innerfidelity.com said it was.

Not everything deserves to be at the top of the charts just because it may have a very high price. I don't think anyone would describe the ED10 as in the same league with the SR-009, HE90, or R10. Ultrasones in general seem to have absolutely no bearing of price v performance. It's more about plating each new headphone with a shinier metal than the last. $300 Beats headphones aren't even on the same planet with other $300 class headphones that were designed properly.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #150 of 18,760
^Yep, that's what I implied when mentioning that with an Edition 10 you were paying for negative returns, but I wanted to be careful when saying that because there was an Edition 8 owner among us? lol jk.

^^Oh AnakChan I have no idea. I just read that on pricejapan.com, it would be there http://kakaku.com/item/K0000297318/ but, hum, it's not.

But according to pricejapan.com lowest is ¥129,000. Perplexing. You could ask them, maybe they really are selling it at 129,000 to Japan located people. http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1117&category=10

I edited my post if that would happen to be an inaccuracy, and I'm sorry if it made you fall of your chair, lol. I did not make up that 129,000 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back